PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Trailers

mhoff19
03-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I am getting ready to buy our first Cargo trailer. I was wondering if I could get some input as to the type of set-ups you guys use.

If you use a cargo trailer or snowmobile type trailer, the size of the trailer, how many quads you haul, does anyone use a toyhauler? If you could give me name brands as well that you prefer that would be a great help as well. Not sure if this is the proper forum for this, but figures you guys must all haul your ATV's.

Tow Vehicle is a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab with 6.2L and Max Trailering Pack.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

lauvrayracing
03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
There are so many choices it is ridiculous. You can go minimal or have one that is set the way you want so the limit is only your imagination. I bought a 8.5w x 24l, 7500lb weight rated, to haul 6 quads. I pull it with a 2008 Suburban LTZ with auto load leveling suspension. It was completely bare inside (3/8" wood walls, and 3/4" wood flooring). Does have a light in it, 48" side door, and break away brakes, but that is it. I have since put a craftsman bench and tool box in the nose, bulit a helmet shelf above that, and installed a hanging craftsman wall cabinet at the rear. Next I am going to put some rubberized flooring in. After that I will be installing wring for Generator hook-up. I believe the brand is a Blue Diamond, can't remember and I am deployed right now. I bought it for $4500 and have put about $300 in it now. Like I said, the sky is the limit, just whatever you need and want. I have seen them with sleeping quarters built in, kitchens, etc.. Toy haulers are good if you only have a quad or two that you need to haul and want the camper as well. If you need to haul more than that it is difficult. Most want the garage effect with these as well vs. the fold all of the furniture up and roll the quads in type. It is just easier and quicker, plus keep the fume thing down. Just make sure you get enough trailer to do what you want because I doubt you will get your money back out of it if you need to upgrade later. Hope this helps a little, good luck!

dblacks
03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Lots of things to consider

tow vehicle - Motorhome or truck

Steel frame vs Alum frame

7.5 wide with fenders on the outside vs 8.5 wide with wheel wells inside

Vnose vs flat nose

Screwless sides vs screwed in side panels

you lose alot of space if you use a snowmobile trailer with the front door in the v unless you block the front door, but if you want a trailer for both it works great.

personally I have a 8.5 wide x 16 with 4 ft vnose aluminum (only thing I would change is now that most of the towing is with the motorhome I wouldnt have the vnose but go with a 20ft flat nose for the full 4 ft of space. I also have an awning on it which is a nice plus.

nastynotchback1
03-15-2010, 07:19 AM
I use a 7x14 v-nose to haul 1 quad(3 quads if we are going joy riding)and it has room for everything we need.I pull it with a lifted f-250 but we are in the process of buying a toy-hauler camper.I will continue to use this trailer to race anything local but will be using the toy-hauler for those over night races.

Logan #34's Dad
03-15-2010, 02:18 PM
IMO, If your going racing and plan to travel long distances (Nationals) and will be spending the night, then a toy hauler is the answer. It will save you a ton of money over a Hotel and good family time. Plus, You can use it to just go camping n stuff. They make some awesome haulers. 5th wheels are great. You already have the pulling vehicle.
If your just doing local racing and not spending the night, Buy an all Aluminum box trailer. Less weight will save you a couple bucks at the pump. Go with at least a 16 footer. Mine is 14 and I could always use more. JMO.

dblacks
03-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
. Go with at least a 16 footer. Mine is 14 and I could always use more. JMO.

Mine is 16 and Icould use more, lol

Just like a garage, never big enough

hwf-racing
03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I bought a 16' v-nose so it's actually 18' 1" of off ebay brand new for $3100.00 . I insulated ,ac, pitposse the heck out of it. Built a fold down full size bed. Real sweet just wish I had higher ceilings only 6'. Derek