PDA

View Full Version : How to work with school on absences?

EthansMom
03-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Hello all, I know this is off topic but as we all are getting ready for Nationals we are finding ourselves in a new position. Our rider is in Kindergarten and will be missing school to attend the races. How do you all work with your schools in this case? Do you let the school know why your child will be out?

coffing918
03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
im really glad that u bring this up, I am also struggling with the same situation, my son is in 1st grade and I would like to go to all the nationals, but he has already missed 10 days of school this year, we are going to Alabama but will have to miss Kentucky, I dont know weather to tell the school why he is missing or not to, I really just dont know what to say to them, Last year he was in Kindergarten and he missed 22 days of school and he passed with no problems, All those days missed were not all from racing, we didnt run nationals but we ran 3 different series and over 36 races, so there was always thoes Fridays & Mondays that he had to miss. Hopefully someone has something that they know that minght help us out.

jerkyboy
03-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I know some people that talked to the prinipal and teachers and some schools were willing to work with them and some were not.
Dale hasnt missed any days this year so we are in good shape. I just ask the teacher to give me the work for those couple days and we havent had a problem yet.

coffing918
03-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I didnt know we were going to be doing nationals untill the end of January or I wouldnt have been so quick to let him stay home .really there is only 6 races that are during the school year and the one in PA is pretty close where he wont have to miss, it really don't make sense y they have practice on school days (fridays)

quadnana7
03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
We have always been up front with Christian's school about what he does. As long as his grades stay good and he does all of his school work I don't think they have a right to say anything. We have never had them to say anything before but he is in the 7th grade now with a new principal. We don't know how things are going to be this year but I am prepared to argue with them they let kids miss for school sports so this is no different in my opinion except that it is not a school event. In my opinion they should be proud and supportive that a child has the ability to race on a National level.
Some parents have taken their children out of school and are home schooling them because of problems. Christian wants to stay in the public school system so we are prepared to fight them if we have to. Christian has missed 13 days already this year but a lot of them are excused due to sickness which we had doctors excuses. 5 of them were from the 1st week of school last year when we were at Loretta's. They counted him absent even thou he never went the 1st day to register. Never have figured that one out!!!!!
MY ADVICE TELL THEM THE TRUTH WHERE YOU ARE GOING.

edwardsp&b
03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I know that most on here homeschools, which we won't do. It's hard enough for them to listen to us now, I couldn't imagine trying to homeschool Ben. Ben goes to a magnet school that doesn't have sports, I just said that this is something special and they kinda said okay. Talk to them and see if they'll understand. You never know. Bryan

thequadfather+2
03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
We do tell them earlier in the year that he has a few races to be at and will miss a couple fridays, actually 11 this year.

I think the grades will play a factor. Jordan is in third grade and has never made a "B" on any report card. He is a straight "A" student and they have never said one word. Brady's teacher said he was ahead of most of his class in Kindergarten and would be ok.

Since the teacher and ultimately the school is accountable for the performance of the students I think they are more forgiving if the student is doing ok in class.

I know of parents they have warned but their kids were struggling with their grades.

So with that in mind we tell our little guys keep up the good grades and we will keep racing.:D

If they have a problem with the reason he is missing just ask them if the basketball or baseball team has ever missed class to play ball...

Tell Ethan HI,
see ya in a couple weeks.

tntauto1127
03-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Our kids teachers know we miss to go to the races. We have always written on the excuse the days were missed due to an educational family trip. They always accepted them as excused. We try to make it a point to teach them something about the area we are going or the states we go through. That way it really is an educational trip.

CRBOGGAN
03-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Robbie goes to school with thequadfather+2 boys and we do the same just let the teacher know what is going on. The past 2 years have been ok the teachers ask him how he did on monday and tell him good luck on friday. This year he even took his spelling test one day early so he could miss all day Fri.

dblacks
03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
we have always told the teachers ahead of time and tried to get his school work so he can get it done while in the RV. Part of our rules for him to race is to have him keep his grades up.

hotquads1
03-14-2010, 02:38 PM
HOMESCHOOL, mom is the teacher and dad is the principal , racing is part of the curriculum (AG - study of dirt and physics)and the Nationals are a field trip. maybe spring break will get a few people out without an excuse, if its good timing.

CRBOGGAN
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Marc so Mom makes you be the bad guy to lol.

STOCKRACING917
03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
So far we haven't had an issue either. They have the state law about it here and the policy where the truancy officer contacts you ect... but so far we haven't been. We make sure if he is sick to go to Dr and get excuse. His grades are A's except for the 92 in Math, so I think they factor in Parents who care about their child's education and the child's performance. They still count him absent but they allow him to make up his work...

CRBOGGAN
03-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Parents who care about their child's education .

That is right STOCKRACING917

edwardsp&b
03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Marc, this dad doesnt have time for 4 principal visits a day! Grades and behavior plays a big part. Most or you writing on here I know have great kids. Shouldn't be any problems. Come to think about it most ATV racing families are good people, just tell the teacher beforehand. Bryan

coffing918
03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
His teacher knows he races and knows that he is going to Alabama, Im more concerned that we will have to miss Kentucky and maybe 1 more. I really wanted to make all of them,
grades are not the problem for us JJ is a good student, but in our school system if you miss more than 20 days of school they have the option to fail you. Like I said JJ has missed 10 days already, due to being sick so much in the Winter ,once it was 6 days out because he had a bad cough (broncitus) and some were from races last year, but anyway, I think I will go into the school and talk with the principal about it, I dont think I could do the home school thing, I would go nuttier than I already am. By the way how many if any throw outs do the Nationals have.

cole shake 32
03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
With coles school we talk to them before he evan starts school and it isn't a problem they excuse it before he's gone so the state stays of are back and he misses Thursday- Monday
his school is very involved he's in the school paper pictures of him racing and and now watching him on utube

EthansMom
03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
All this feed back has been great! We did try to speak with the school before registration and got little to no help. since then Ethan was in the local paper for racing and is doing very well in school. I am going to send Eric in to speak with the principle this week. Let's hope for the best!

quadnana7
03-14-2010, 09:56 PM
We never have had a problem before but the older the kids get the harder it gets in the school system . I can tell a big difference from last year to this year. Last year the teachers and Principal asked how he done when he would come in on Mondays this school year the teachers could care less about his racing and we have a new Principal that came from the High School that does not know Christian or what he has done since he was 5 years old.I am hoping we don't have a problem but he has missed 13 days already and most of the races we have to leave on Thursday morning to get there so he is losing 2 days every other week. As far as I am concerned a sport is a sport whether it be school or not.

Coley'sdad#8
03-15-2010, 05:51 AM
I just threw a letter away last week from our principal, it stated persuant to TN law 7 or more absenses per semester were to be reported to the school board for review etc. yadda yadda.
Coley was out 2 for Lorettas, 1 because his teacher was sick the week before x-mas break and I didnt want him sick, missed that dumb 2 hour short day before holiday and a few sick. I simply told the Principal that Coley was consistantly on A-B Honor roll and I didn't feel like we had a problem and I always made sure we went to school and picked up daily work if he was out. It would be a little different if we didn't send our kids to school because we were all smoking crack and just didn't care but when I am spending time with my family don't tell me how to raise my kid.

Hetrick Racing
03-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Joel has been doing this for about 13 years,when he was in school I took the schedule and the estimated days missed in and sat down with the principal and vice also the teacher.
Doing this opened a doorway and they actually supported him throughout.
At one point there was a poster of him racing in the school.
Maybe we were lucky though

stoopidbot
03-15-2010, 06:44 AM
The law requires parents to make sure their children receive a full-time education suitable to their needs. For most children this means attending school regularly. As a last resort, schools and local authorities have legal powers to deal with poor attendance.
Your responsibilities as a parent
By law, all children of compulsory school age (5 to 16) must receive a suitable full-time education. As a parent, you have a legal responsibility to make sure this happens - either by registering your child at a school or by making other arrangements to give them a suitable, full-time education. Once your child is registered at a school, you are legally responsible for making sure they attend regularly.

If they do not, you will be contacted by your child’s school or the local authority. Local authorities have a duty to step in if they believe a child is not getting the education required by law, either at home or at school.

If your child is missing school, you may be visited by a member of the Education Welfare Service. They will talk to you about your child’s attendance problems.

A child becomes of compulsory school age when they reach the age of five and, where a parent has elected to register their child at school, they must start school in the term following their fifth birthday. A child continues to be of compulsory school age until the last Friday in June in the school year that they reach the age of 16.
Support on school attendance
If you’re having trouble getting your child to go to school, the school and local authority can support you in several ways. One option they may suggest is a parenting contract.

Parenting contracts are a form of support and not a punishment - they are intended to help you and the school or local authority to work together to improve your child’s attendance.

Parenting contracts are voluntary. You should be aware, however, that if your child is missing school regularly and you refuse to agree to a contract - or do not keep to its terms - this can be used as evidence if the local authority decides to prosecute you.

To find out more about the forms of support available - including parenting contracts - see ‘School attendance, absence and your child’.

School attendance, absence and your childAction on school attendance
A child registered at a school can legally miss school only in very limited circumstances. These include:

•when the child is too ill to attend

•when the school has authorised the absence beforehand
If a child is missing school without good reason, schools and local authorities have a number of legal powers that they can use.
School Attendance Order (SAO)

A School Attendance Order is issued if your child is not on roll at any school and the local authority is worried that you have not made arrangements to provide an alternative, suitable, full-time education. SAOs are used to direct you to send your child to a specified school.

Before serving an SAO, Children’s Services Officers should make every effort to discuss the situation with you. If it is not possible to persuade you to make suitable arrangements for your child’s education, then you will be served with a notice stating that you are failing in your duty to provide your child with an education.

The notice must inform you that you need to satisfy the local authority that you are providing an education at school or otherwise within a specified time period (but not less than 15 days beginning with the day the notice was served).

Local authorities are responsible for prosecuting parents if they breach an SAO and also have the option of seeking an Education Supervision Order.

Education Supervision Order (ESO)

As well as or instead of prosecuting you the local authority may apply to a court for an ESO. This order means that a supervisor will be appointed to you to give you help and advice on getting your child back into education.
Penalty notices

As an alternative to prosecution, authorised local authority staff, police officers and headteachers can issue penalty notices to parents of children who are not attending school regularly. The penalty is £50, rising to £100 if not paid within 28 days. If you fail to pay a penalty fine, you will be prosecuted.

More on penalty notices Opens new windowTaking you to court

The local authority may prosecute you (they don’t have to issue a penalty notice first) and this could result in a more severe penalty.

You could get a fine of up to $2,500, a community order or, in extreme cases, a jail sentence of up to three months. If the court thinks it will help to stop your child missing school, it may also impose a Parenting Order.

Parenting Order

A Parenting Order is a court order which requires you to attend parenting education or support classes. You will also have to do whatever the court says is necessary to improve your child’s behaviour and attendance at school.

coffing918
03-15-2010, 07:03 AM
I have a nephew that was suspended over 50 days last year, and already over 30 this year, thats not included sick days The school still passes him, and. Why do they not hold him back IDK maybe because he gets 100% on his final exams! He is a brilliant kid, just a pain in the ***** this is 8th grade and high school
but it seems that they dont care if u miss school if ur a behavioral problem, but its not ok when ur a good student. and also the authorities never step in at all.

thequadfather+2
03-15-2010, 08:42 AM
stoopidbot, My sister-in-law is an attorney in memphis and that sounds just like her. With all that being said there is nothing stated that can not be challenged. Mostly in the definition of several key issues such as "a suitable full-time education".

I think we are just talking about a few absences when going racing. If the child is doing well in class and doesnt really have any other issues I dont there will be any problems. if there is, it's nothing good representation cant fix.;)

dblacks
03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Hetrick Racing
Joel has been doing this for about 13 years,when he was in school I took the schedule and the estimated days missed in and sat down with the principal and vice also the teacher.
Doing this opened a doorway and they actually supported him throughout.
At one point there was a poster of him racing in the school.
Maybe we were lucky though

that is exactly how to do it, communication with the teachers and principal is key

we dont run nationals but due to our location drew misses school days often

stoopidbot
03-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm not a parent, yet. I'm all for kids going and racing. My dad started me at age 5 in AZ doing desert racing. I was fortunate enough that all of our races were rather close, so any missed school was only a day or 2 per semester.

I just googled some info and wanted to relay to the parents here. I don't want anyone to get in any kind of trouble for having a great time as a family and giving the kid a childhood to remember.

Coley'sdad#8
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm back, I had to go take a nap after reading stoopidbot's post:)
This is so ironic, after posting this morning I headed out for Nashville and the school called and said Coley had a sick stomach feeling so I said okay his mother will p/u. When I got back Coley said he felt okay but 3 kids had thrown up in the class by 9:00am and he couldn't stand the smell (I dont blame him) so wanted to come home, oh well another sickday:rolleyes: You know once you get that smell in your nose there aint no gettin it right out:ermm:

CRBOGGAN
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
At my sons school if you stay to 1100 your counted as all day so this may help.

Logan #34's Dad
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
We do the same as most of you have stated. Of Course, Logan never shuts up about racing so All the teachers and school officials know what he does.
HOWEVER, we got a NEW problem coming up. Logan moves into the 7th grade next year. Logan is a fantastic scholastic athlete. He most likley will be the starting Quarterback for the Jr. High team. He loves playing sports, he wrestles in the winter as well. Our summer sport is racing. The problem is, He will miss some football practices because of racing. (Football is pretty serious in these parts) Now, I've got to deal with a coach too. He is worried about injury, understanding the offense, ect. I have a good report with the coach though.
Eventually, Logan is going to have to decide: Racing or traditional sports. Racing don't pay for college. I'll support whatever decicion he makes.

Reimer Racing
03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
In are house Zack has to mantain a 90 average in all studies to race.

If he wants to race out of state he must hold a 92. Works good for us.

thequadfather+2
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
"(Football is pretty serious in these parts)"

Well down here the SEC rules everything and the last few years they have laid the smack down so we understand when you say it's pretty serious, insane would probably describe it. Jordan has played Football, Basketball and baseball and loves to race more than anything so here we are.....

Hey Chris, Coley didnt sound sick that sounded like Hooky(sp) to me. you were probably waiting with the dirt bike at home.

T@AFP
03-16-2010, 05:19 AM
I'm having issues getting my kids out of school this year as well. Alabama will be excused because it's considered a "excused vacation". But additional days missed will not be excused.
I met with my son's principal on Friday to discuss options.
She told me that if he misses "too many days" that a truancy officer will be notified. I asked what "too many" is. She did not have that answer. The school is not supportive of this sport. Unless it's the traditional "ball type of sport" or cheerleading....forget. I'm gonna have issues.

I have decided I will get in touch with the county school superintendent.
Hopefully, I can convince him there is more of a "learning experience" in doing what we do than the principal thinks.

As a kid I never got along with my prinicipal and teachers. Now MANY years later it has come full circle again.....ugh....authority.

If any of you have any additional info, please keep us posted.

Tom

Coley'sdad#8
03-16-2010, 05:30 AM
"ball type sport" ha ha ha ha Tom, this is a ball type sport, but this one takes TWO.
Coley has played some of them and just didn't like them, now sit your kid on a 4 wheeled rocket, let them jump, slide , hone thier reaction times, judgement and make thier own decisions and that's what they like.
ps Tom don't loose your cool and tell the princ. about the 2 ball sport thing:( :blah:

T@AFP
03-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
"ball type sport" ha ha ha ha Tom, this is a ball type sport, but this one takes TWO.
Coley has played some of them and just didn't like them, now sit your kid on a 4 wheeled rocket, let them jump, slide , hone thier reaction times, judgement and make thier own decisions and that's what they like.
ps Tom don't loose your cool and tell the princ. about the 2 ball sport thing:( :blah:

LMAO! now thats funny. I didn't have my pot of coffee yet this morning or I may have caught that earlier.

Thanks,
Tom

dblacks
03-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8

often not always but often an mx racer has a hard time throwing a football, shooting a basketball but he/she can hope on ride they way they ride and then the "jock" will say how he could always win whenever they raced and then get on your yard quad and have a hard time with that little jump you have built in the yard for your kid outgrew his first year on the 50

edwardsp&b
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
well my wife just got back from the school, so i can give ya'll a little update. here in ga we have a test called CRTC. In 3rd and 5th grades students statewide must pass this test to pass the grade. problem is that the dates on the test are on the thurs & friday before kentucky. Can you believe his teacher said good luck, and that she will let him retake it when he is back in school. Our school is a magnet school that doesnt have sports programs, just academics. My wife told them that since our school doesnt have extra-curricular activities that it should be excused, and they said ok.
bryan

EthansDad
03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Update - Met with his school's administration today..

So this was easier than I thought, thanks to great advise by all. I met with his Vice principle and laid out the reason and dates and was very up front with what we are doing. I think what helped out greatly was last year we had a press release in a local paper (very small paper) that mentioned Ethan's results, and HIS SCHOOL NAME. I brought it in an let her read it. The VP immediately picked up on this and lead a lot of the conversation about how great this is and statement like "if he gets famous, make sure he remembers me" I guess she does not know how small a sport this is, but having her excited about getting the school recognized made the conversation a lot easier.

So, the bits I picked up on here for GA that might relate to other areas:

*the county schools report the absences up to the state, not the state coming down on audits to the county. In other words, its the local schools that have the authority and "raise the flag" if there is an issue.

*the absences will be marked "unexcused", however if the school is behind it, they can communicate to truancy boards and social workers they are aware of the situation and support it. Again, the school has the authority to back down other agencies that could cause problems.

*Education is priority one - take that stance with them, they are educators! She asked how well he is doing, that was a factor to her. I also volunteered that if his schooling slips, all bets are off for us running the circuit. I think that went over well. Its one thing for them to back down a social worker for a "A" student, but harder for her to do it for a non-A or problem student.

*CRCTs or state tests - Ethan does not do them now in Kindergarten, but that was an issue for him in Grade 1 on. She said "he must be here that whole week". When I asked about flexibility like can he test m-w, but not t-f, she offered up its possible, but not easy and concerned he would not score well if rushed.

edwardsp&b
03-16-2010, 02:37 PM
im hoping that CRCT crap goes away in the next few years.
If a straight A student fails that test they fail the grade, doesnt seem right to me.
bryan

nastynotchback1
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
We will not be running the nats but we are racing se quads.My kids go to a private school so there is no problem but my wife is a teacher at the school so that helps.Hope it works out for yall.