PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust. Stock and Aftermarket???

VTredneckgames
03-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Im thinking about buying a hmf for my 400ex. I want to be able to hear it alittle more and get some more power. However, some times I think I would like it quieter. Does anyone on here ever swap back and forth (probably 3-4 times a year) between an aftermarket muffler and the stock one?

How much difference in jetting does just a slip on usually require? Right now I am stock with the exception of a 11:1 406. Stock air filter, stock exhaust with a 40 pilot and a 150 main. What would I need to change to if I added a slip on? thanks

Brad

honda400ex2003
03-14-2010, 08:37 AM
When i used to just have my filter and slip on i used to switch them back and forth depending on what trail system i was riding. It made a difference on the jetting but with just a filter it was not that much, now with my setup i would not think about doing it, it would not run very good. you would have to change your jetting if you add a slip on and it may be enough not to be able to switch it anymore depending. The only thing you could do is give it a try, it may not be rich enough to really make a difference in performance if you get it really close with the slip on. Just my .02 though, steve

VTredneckgames
03-15-2010, 07:37 AM
alright, thanks for the help. I'll try it out and see how it does.

I'll probably look around for a used HMF. There are just some times that I want to be quiet. Either hunting, noise ordance, or just personal wants. But there are also those times that I want her to be heard!

I'll see what I can find. Maybe a quiet core will quiet it enough to my liking.

backwoods 400ex
03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
get a lexx mxe from rocky mountain atv there not to loud and you can notice the power

beastlywarrior
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
just get the hmf competition its got great tunability

VTredneckgames
03-16-2010, 10:10 AM
thanks for the suggestions. Main reason I was initially thinking of HMF was from the youtube video of the guy riding a yellow 400ex across a field. Sounds awesome.

I just listened to one with a Lexx. Sounds pretty good too. Looks like Im going to have a hard time figuring out what I want. Got a lot of searching to do on here.

gktj
03-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I just got an HMF Sport and got to tell ya...you will be heard! Big dif from stock. It sounds great and I can really feel the difference in power. With it being so loud, I too wonder bout switching it back to stock for certain conditions. I just put mine on and have to jet it yet. Seems to run good without jetting it... I guess I have to do though.

VTredneckgames
03-17-2010, 05:34 AM
did you get a quiet core for it? I wonder how much of a difference that makes. Id like to know how much it quiets it down.

gktj
03-17-2010, 07:37 AM
I didnt....yet. might have to tho.