PDA

View Full Version : Tundra?

tbrackman84
03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
anyone have a tundra? if so do you like it?

03-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
anyone have a tundra? if so do you like it?

I believe the moderator Quad18star owns one, im sure he'll chime in.

They're pretty damn quick for a pickup, I can tell you that.

JJs450r
03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
i had one :( and i liked it alot

tbrackman84
03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
yeah, i've been wondering about them, i know the iforce engine is supposed to be sa-weet. I like tacomas alot too, but i want a V8! :)

tbrackman84
03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
i had one :( and i liked it alot

what year was yours?

JJs450r
03-13-2010, 05:50 PM
06 double cab sexyy lol i want a new one and if these lotto tickets i bought today win ill get a few lol jk (its at 200million)

JJs450r
03-13-2010, 05:52 PM
mine :'(

tbrackman84
03-13-2010, 05:53 PM
yeah they are really neat, idk if i like the new generation of them though, they seem a little bit HUGE

tbrackman84
03-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by JJs450r
mine :'(

very nice

JJs450r
03-13-2010, 05:58 PM
with the new ones being over sized everything the cost to fix them is a lot higher

rollie
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJZVUnOduH4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJZVUnOduH4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Quad18star
03-13-2010, 11:37 PM
I have an 07 Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7L.

I love it . I like the fact that it has a ton of room inside , especially if you're sitting in the back seat. I like all the oversized controls , especially for winter driving with gloves on. Great power also. As for MPG ... I get about 18 mpg on the highway ... and after talking to a guy with the 4.7 who was also getting 18 MPG , I'm happy with my choice of the bigger motor.

Downfall ... loss of room in the bed because of the oversized cab... but I have a big dual axle trailer in case anything needs hauling , so not that big of a deal. Second complaint .. I wish the blind spot mirror on the towing mirrors were power controlled. Bed bounce on the 07 when you get into rough roads .. not sure if it was fixed on the newer models.

trx310R#24
03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Bed bounce on the 07 when you get into rough roads .. not sure if it was fixed on the newer models.

nope... they still fall apart... and kill people. :(

tbrackman84
03-14-2010, 05:02 PM
yeah i like 'em alot, i think i'd get the regular ext cab instead of the crew max though, for more bed space.

johnnyquad17
03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I have a 07 and love it. Best truck out there!

backwoodsracer
03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
the new models actually drive themselves!

400exrider707
03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
I looked at buying one of the 5.7 trucks right before I got my F250, but the 12mpg city listed on the epa rating on the sticker scared me right away. Not to mention it was more money with less options than similar trucks of other brands. Just couldn't bring myself to do it. $37k for a truck that looked pretty bare bones and had the smaller wheels.... mmmm no thanks.

They are sweet though. That reg cab/short box one that truckin or someone built up with the TRD supercharger looked pretty cool.

Scro
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer

:p

FourFiftyFour
03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Don't get an 00 or 01... the rear brakes are drum brakes..and they SUCK! Plus you will have o2 sensors burn out CONSTANTLY. -coming from a Tundra owner for almost 9 years now

Quad18star
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
yeah i like 'em alot, i think i'd get the regular ext cab instead of the crew max though, for more bed space.

It all depends on what you're wanting to haul around. You could fit a quad in the back , but would have to leave the tail gate down .. but then again with most utility quads , you have to leave the tailgate down with the 6.5 box also. I never tried it, but I think a sport quad MIGHT fit with the gate up in the CrewMax box.

I was very skeptical when buying the crewmax because I wanted the double cab ... but now that I've owned a truck with full sized 4 doors .. I'll NEVER go back to something smaller.

I don't haul around 4x8 sheets of plywood or anything like that all the time ... and for the occasions that i do, I have a utility trailer that does the job.

Quad18star
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer

Toyota is innovative ... they came out with a buttonless cruise control system.

:D

tbrackman84
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
i love toyota, i think id probably end up getting one of the newer generation. they are freakin' sweet! thanks for all the info guys, i like hearing it.

quad18star - i dont really haul anything to big, but i still think i'd get one if the regular double cabs, that would be enough for me. thanks for the info though, its nice to hear it from a real owner. any special thing i should get or stay away from with them(options, etc)?

tbrackman84
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by FourFiftyFour
Don't get an 00 or 01... the rear brakes are drum brakes..and they SUCK! Plus you will have o2 sensors burn out CONSTANTLY. -coming from a Tundra owner for almost 9 years now

yeah i did hear that the O2 sensors are a PITA on them. i'll defintley put an exhaust on that beast to let the 5.7 roar, lol. maybe ill figure out how people delete the sensors and just put a high flow cat on and flows lol

Quad18star
03-15-2010, 07:09 PM
i love toyota, i think id probably end up getting one of the newer generation. they are freakin' sweet! thanks for all the info guys, i like hearing it.

quad18star - i dont really haul anything to big, but i still think i'd get one if the regular double cabs, that would be enough for me. thanks for the info though, its nice to hear it from a real owner. any special thing i should get or stay away from with them(options, etc)?

Ya it all depends what you want to do with it. I'm planning on having a few kids within the next couple of years, so I'll need the back seat space for car seats and stuff.

As far as options , mine is just a step down from a Limited .. so i dont have heated leather seats , wood grain trim or Nav.

I like the towing mirrors on the truck , although I wish the blind spot mirror was electronically controlled ( it might be on the new models) and I wish my passenger seat had the power options. I REALLY enjoy the sonar in the bumpers ... if you dont get sonars get the backup camera.

I've heard a lot of guys say to stay away from the factory box liner ( unless they throw it in no charge) .

Other than that ... I've been completely satisfied with my purchase and even despite all the recalls , I'd buy another Toyota . In fact my fiancee wants a new Highlander.

Quad18star
03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
yeah i did hear that the O2 sensors are a PITA on them. i'll defintley put an exhaust on that beast to let the 5.7 roar, lol. maybe ill figure out how people delete the sensors and just put a high flow cat on and flows lol

tundratalk.net has a TON of information.

tbrackman84
03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Ya it all depends what you want to do with it. I'm planning on having a few kids within the next couple of years, so I'll need the back seat space for car seats and stuff.

As far as options , mine is just a step down from a Limited .. so i dont have heated leather seats , wood grain trim or Nav.

I like the towing mirrors on the truck , although I wish the blind spot mirror was electronically controlled ( it might be on the new models) and I wish my passenger seat had the power options. I REALLY enjoy the sonar in the bumpers ... if you dont get sonars get the backup camera.

I've heard a lot of guys say to stay away from the factory box liner ( unless they throw it in no charge) .

Other than that ... I've been completely satisfied with my purchase and even despite all the recalls , I'd buy another Toyota . In fact my fiancee wants a new Highlander.

thanks alot, you've been very helpful. I owuldnt want the limited version honestly, i don't really like all that stuff. lol. i'm gonna try to pick up a used one somewhere. thanks again!!!

Quad18star
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
thanks alot, you've been very helpful. I owuldnt want the limited version honestly, i don't really like all that stuff. lol. i'm gonna try to pick up a used one somewhere. thanks again!!!

Good luck man. There's good deals out there.

I don't really like the limited either... I'm not into all the chrome stuff.

tbrackman84
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
me neither! haha the regular tundra looks so much better than limited, in my opnion lol!

Kickstarts-suck
03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
My dad was looking into the new tundras but for the price of a plain tundra he got a decked out F150 lariat.

I like the tundras because they are quick! Nothing much else. I test drove a reg cab short bed 5.7 6 speed auto. DAMN that thing hauled!

FourFiftyFour
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM

I believe I have burned out over 15 in the past few years... on both 01 Tundras I have owned, both have had Flowmaster 40 or Super 40.. dumped or dualed. The latest truck has the K&N cold air intake but other than that its the same as my old one...both have the same exact problems. The same buttons and everything broke as well... haha

tbrackman84
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I believe I have burned out over 15 in the past few years... on both 01 Tundras I have owned, both have had Flowmaster 40 or Super 40.. dumped or dualed. The latest truck has the K&N cold air intake but other than that its the same as my old one...both have the same exact problems. The same buttons and everything broke as well... haha

wow thats retarded, lol. why do they burn out so easy?! and how do you like the sound of the flows?

FourFiftyFour
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM
wow thats retarded, lol. why do they burn out so easy?! and how do you like the sound of the flows?

I dont know its so bad that my check engine light comes on and I never notice it. Faulty design I suppose. I love the Flowmaster on my truck, its really loud though. If you dont want loud and obnoxious then don't get one.. my truck is usually one of the louder trucks around... I kinda like it because idiots on the freeway will usually hear me and not wreck into me

tbrackman84
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
yeah i like it pretty loud lol. This is bad, i really really want to start looking for one now, lol.

CJM
03-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Hope you use only denso or NGK parts for them o2's OTHERWISE thats your problem pal.

Oh and the old drum brakes work really well-gotta be adjusted to within 1mm of the drum itself, course most people dont freaking know that-even the dealer. Course they also did a TSB for an upgraded front brake system too.

Im a mech who specializes in toyota trucks and never seen a truck burn out 15 o2 sensors that easy.

tbrackman84
03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Hope you use only denso or NGK parts for them o2's OTHERWISE thats your problem pal.

Oh and the old drum brakes work really well-gotta be adjusted to within 1mm of the drum itself, course most people dont freaking know that-even the dealer. Course they also did a TSB for an upgraded front brake system too.

Im a mech who specializes in toyota trucks and never seen a truck burn out 15 o2 sensors that easy.

how are the newer generation tundras CJM?

FourFiftyFour
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
If you read more closely in my other post you would see that I have had 2 01 toyota tundras...."pal" o.O i guess since i have been gone for so long ppl will talk to me like im a dude

tbrackman84
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
If you read more closely in my other post you would see that I have had 2 01 toyota tundras...."pal" o.O i guess since i have been gone for so long ppl will talk to me like im a dude

UH-OH!

Quad18star
03-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Without a chest picture ... I might assume you have hair on it... better send one to remove all doubts. :p

Glad to see you back ... what have you been up to ?

tbrackman84
03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
^ LMAO!

FourFiftyFour
03-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Not too much, working working working... Track days on the bike, skydiving, got a sponsorship in a racecar so that will be coming up soon. Lots and lots of things going on right now :scary:

Quad18star
03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Not too much, working working working... Track days on the bike, skydiving, got a sponsorship in a racecar so that will be coming up soon. Lots and lots of things going on right now :scary:

Right on ... sounds like you've been having some fun.

Although I'm still not 100% convinced you don't have a hairy chest. ;)

FourFiftyFour
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
i assure you that i do not lol

Quad18star
03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
i assure you that i do not lol

You know there's only one way to prove that around here....:p

I'm kidding with you . Glad to see you're back . Hopefully you stick around again for a little bit.

FourFiftyFour
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
we will see..I get bored at my job right now lol

Quad18star
03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
we will see..I get bored at my job right now lol

You were/are doing animation or some graphics stuff , right?

FourFiftyFour
03-17-2010, 08:37 AM
I went to school for that a while back but never had that for a job.. was a big waste of time!

LTandRaptorider
03-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Is this a good time to redirect the topic back to a pic of Kara's chest? :confused: :devil:

Quad18star
03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Is this a good time to redirect the topic back to a pic of Kara's chest? :confused: :devil:

Sounds good .

Pic or you're considered a hairy chested guy!!!!:macho

FourFiftyFour
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
hahaha yall sure have not changed :scary:

CJM
03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
how are the newer generation tundras CJM?

Camshaft failures a bit, not many but some. I dont think they treated them right or something. Just know of 2 trucks personally it happened to and they just gave them a new block under warranty

For some reason driving at hwy speeds if the roads bumpy the box bounces like a mofo. Not sure exactly why, frame maybe?

Mileage is lower than advertised, if your supposed to get 14 good luck.

Seatbelt chime is stupid, good luck putting something that weighs more than a small child on the pass seat-the chime will go off unless the seats buckled.

I honestly dont like them-to dang large and bulky-they followed in dodges footsteps and made them huge. That and I NEVER EVER EVER buy any vehicle until its been out at least 2-3 years-by then the kinks have been worked out.

Older tundras are awesome BUT:

-Center bearing for the driveshaft wears out in about 50-75k and needs to be replaced

-Not sure why but 99-03 are rusting away on the under carriage if you live anywhere they use road salt. I kinda blame it on that new liquid salt crap, but even so people have holes in the frame.

Meh I still want one but prefer at least 04-06 since the kinks are worked out of them and they arent rusting like the others-perhaps they changed to a different coating IDK. If I do get one im taking off the bed and coating the crap out of everything I can otherwise too.

Quad18star
03-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I get 17-19 MPG all day long on the highway and about 14 in town.... and that's with my 3/1 leveling kit. I'm looking into getting a cold air intake which should allow for a few more MPG gain.

The bed bounce is a result of the frame design.

The seat belt chime will ding for about a minute , then it stops . If I put a duffle bag with books on the seat it goes off , so ya, not much weight is allowed . Also it won't chime if you're rolling under 18 mph.

tbrackman84
03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
thanks for the info guys, really freakin' helpful. I appreciate it.