PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical engineers... your job

MX450
03-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I know theres a few of you browsing the forums, just had a few qs about your work.

Im currently debating on goin back to school to get a degree in m.e., but im not sure if its what i want to do.

Ive read a few things online about it being boring, and you really have to have a passion for math and science. I cannot say that I have a passion for either of those, but math came fairly easy to me in H.S. I also find myself interested in what makes things tick, I enjoy taking things apart, workin on things, tinkering with my quad (obviously), I find that these things come somewhat natural to me. Im wondering though if engineering is just sitting at a computer designing random things like the parts of a dryer or something??

Also im wondering about job outlook. Obviously it will be 3 or 4 years before i graduate (already have about 1 and 1/2 year of school done) but ive read some things about people coming out of college the past few years and still not finding work after putting in so much time and effort to get a mech egineering degree. Are alot of the jobs being outsourced to other countries? Will there be more job openings if the economy picks up in the next 3-10 years?

And last but not least, how do you like your job? What are the pros/cons? I cannot stand the thought of straping on a tie everyday and crunching math probs into a computer... is engineering right for me??

Thanks

beastlywarrior
03-12-2010, 08:58 PM
im going to school for it now and i like it but you have to be a very persistent person

TM426
03-12-2010, 10:32 PM
If you want to be an engineer great. Absorb everything about what you are doing (like a sponge). When it comes to everything outside of your particular field, don't think you have mastered the mechanics of everything. I am in heating and cooling. I cant count the number of phone calls or homes I've walked into and the first sentence is "I'm an engineer". After that I tone out. Every time I give the engineers a chance they don't have a clue what they were talking about. They waste the first fifteen minutes of the conversation with their theories.

I am in awe of the things engineers have designed an created. I can't design planes nor do I tell someone how to do so. If you are a train engineer stick with you train. :D

Sandsjbyz22
03-13-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm an ME in the HVAC/Industrial fields and absolutely love it. I am working on my LEED accredidation now and taking my PE test next year. Like any job it has it's rough days but I still get up every morning ready for the challenge that my day will bring. I work for a smaller company but in doing so I have more control over my projects. I meet with the client, design the project then draft it. I also work in the field along side contractors in certain cases. So there is not much time with a tie on and crunching numbers on the computer.

As far as schooling it's all what YOU make of it. If you can make it through Thermodynamics and Stress and Strain it will be smooth sailing. I don't really have a passion for math and science but like you I have a passison to understand how things work. So I guess in a sense they go hand and hand. If you are willing to work hard and study then the schooling should be fine.

As far as getting a job. Don't rely on the school to find one for you. If you have a passion for quads and or cars try and find an internship with a company that supports those desires. I interned for 3 years with the company I work for now, and I sought them out. Alot of the kids I went to school with let the college place them in a field and they just were monkeys pushing numbers into an excel file.

And as TM426 mentioned and the first thing my boss told me was "Never be the arrogant engineer". Being able to understand and work with the guy in the shop or the contractor will get you alot farther than always letting everyone know you are right because of the ME.

Sorry for the long post.

trick450r
03-13-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm about done with my A.S in mechanical engineering and I'm about to start my B.S in Aerospace engineering and the one thing I can tell you is if math doesn't come naturally to you, you'll be at a huge disadvantage. Not to say that you cant do it.

BuckIRacer
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I'll agree with the posts on here, getting an engineering degree is a lot of work, but I think worth it in the end. The nice thing about a Mechanical Engineering degree is how broad the industry is. You'll find classes/topics in school which you enjoy more the others, for me I enjoyed my materials, dynamics, systems, mechanical classes much more then the thermo classes, so that gives an idea of what jobs would be more enjoyed. As Sandsjbyz22 mentioned, he works in HVAC and enjoys it, while I would not. But I enjoy my job/industry he may not, even though we both have Mechanical Engineering degrees. I worked for a suspension/shock company during school and immediately after graduation, worked for a professional racing team, and now work for a defense contractor. Some days are stuck at a desk all day, others in meetings, others building and testing hardware or traveling to tests. But I get to be involved with design, analysis, testing, building, all aspects of the programs, so that's pretty cool. I do know of engineers that hate their jobs, many are stuck doing meaningless tasks all day, so it's up to you to find a job you enjoy. This is with any job field though, and more on the person working the job.

Couldn't agree more on school being what you make of it, put in the work, but at the same time, don't get lost in it, some topics will come easier then others. And don't lose touch with your mechanical aptitude, I can't believe how many engineers I work with who probably don't even know how to change their oil! And definitely intern/co-op, the experience is priceless, and it really lets you feel out the jobs before wasting 4-5 years on a degree. And as also mentioned, don't become an arrogant engineer. Take time to get to know the machinists and operators at your company, value their feedback and input, value the experience of older engineers. I don't know of a single engineer straight out of school that is as smart as he/she thinks they are (myself included), an engineering degree doesn't teach you how to know all the answers, but more so how to learn to solve problems and how to learn to learn.

Sorry this got so long, but I hope you find it helpful. Feel free to ask any questions.

dns1764
03-13-2010, 05:28 PM
i am in electromechanical engineering. its my freshman year and so far so good. they keep saying we have an advantage over regular mechanical cause its like a double major and jobs are looking good

IcutMetl
03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
It's not always about the tie and button-shirt. Most of the manufacturers' plants and shops that I sell into have mechanical engineers, design engineers, and manufacturing engineers that are a lot like us, and I get the impression that as long as they wear something to work that they wouldn't be embarrased to go out to a decent restaraunt in, they're fine. Math and science are important, but if you don't have strong mechanical sense, you'll struggle just as hard. 4year+ degree is the ticket around here; and keep your head peeled for the strong and emerging markets, and your *** will be pretty darn safe earning killer coin- aerospace, windpower, nuclear, medical, etc., and watch companies that advertise a lot or you see that have full parking lots when you drive by. If you're open to relocating for the right company, that's where the money's at a lot of the time- find yourself with a good degree and experience from a well known or global company, and that's your job ticket right there. Once you have the credentials and experience, post your resume on Monster and a lot of places or recruiters will come to you; that's how I found myself at my last job with a top 3 globally CNC machine manufacturer. It's definitely not as hard as it seems and there's still hope for us mechanical guys!

Ralph
03-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Id definitely say its worth the work. I'm set to graduate and start working right away. Can't complain about salary and benefits.

TNT
03-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I’m an AE with close to 30 years experience in the Aircraft Industry….I started as a mechanic, working on cars, construction, then airplanes, got my FAA Airframe and Powerplant mechanics license when I was 20 and worked as one for a year, then AE degree at 24. Started out of Engineering school in Liaison Engineer disposition composite repairs for B2 Bomber bond room in So Cal, Pico Rivera, Northrop Corp then had to move my family to the A-12, McDonnell Douglas, St Louis that Dick Cheney later cancelled. At that time with a new born (my now 20 year old racer son) and no jobs on the horizon, I went to take the LSAT to get my patent and liability law degree but got an offer back in So Cali on the B2 Bomber back in Liaison but final assembly, so never made it through law school. That would have been a powerful career. So got laid off on the B2 again but got an offer @ Boeing in Wichita, freaking KS of all places the “Air Capital of the World” w/ five major aircraft companies. I’ve worked for Hawker Beechcraft and Spirit that was Boeing there over the past 15 years doing lots of design work until this economy hit and I got laid off and now work for Boeing Charleston, SC as a Manufacturing Engineer on the one of the biggest most innovative assembly lines in the world, 787 Dream Liner, which I have helped design the forward section when I was at Boeing, Wichita as well as the new 747-8 and 777 Freighter, all three airplanes have had first flights in 2009.

So I’ve been a mechanic, a Liaison Engineer that works between design and mechanics designing repairs where you don’t sit behind a computer all day, a Designer, of some of the best fighter aircraft like the B2, F16, F-18, and commercial aircraft Boeing 777, 737, 747, 767, 777, 787 where you do sit behind a computer all day, and a Manufacturing Engineer on an assembly line half and half. Been around structures, electrical, avionics, HVAC, fuel, hydraulics, test, and more… Now if it sounds like I got a big head it’s probably because I do……sorry lol!..... Why they pay me the big bucks. But I do listen to people and when I don’t know something I do back off, just get extremely irate with people that can’t back up their arguments with fact especially on forums like this, maybe I should have been a lawyer I like to argue facts until you can shut me up with them and I’ve learned something, but stupid people irritate me so I’d probably got thrown out of court lol. If I don’t know something I have a TON of other Engineers and mechanics at my disposal.

I won’t talk about school too much been too long, first year was hard then it gets easier, but yes we senior Engineers that have been all over this country for this country’s corporate well being deserve respect, not everyone can do it. 50 % drop rate year 1 my school, it was a beech! I use very little in my job, but the training to think well everyday for life that’s what school does. Some analyst Engineers that dwell in theory that surround me and specialize do, those are the ones that have no mechanical hands on knowledge are dumb book worms to me, they are just as irritating lol. I'm getting old and cranky lol!

Aircraft industry is cyclic but pays the most (well pertro-chem pays better these days due to the oil crisis I think if you like it), and has recently crashed like the auto industry, will they come back who knows what the future job market for engineers are in general…yes in Aircraft there’s lots of outsourcing and hiring Indian and Russian Engineers that know less for cheaper wage, but from what I’ve seen the big aerospace giants I work for anyway are realizing more and more it you want something done right do it yourself, let’s hope the rest of corporate America hops on board to improve our unemployment rate. We are so far behind from foreign suppliers that don’t deliver and poor quality products, years off delivery schedule.

Ties have been out since the 80’s, I wear jeans sometimes shorts in the summer as do some of the bosses. When I was a program manager I wore a suit, I HATED that job and the politics that go with that still surrounds me I now watch and laugh at that stupidity.

I work 70 hours a week right now, quality of live is poor but it has not always been that way just this dang racing thing is expensive and we like our toys which we have a lot of, and I support my son as will you someday maybe, so work hard stay in school so America does not have to resort to more overseas professional labor because Americans are uneducated, it does pay off and well.

I won’t apologize for the long post mine never are short just my nature nothing is ever simple lol! :rolleyes:

motohanks
03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
great post TNT. I'm in my freshman year studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Massachusetts. The first semester wasn't too bad even taking 18 credits, but this semester has gotten a bit tougher and I doubt is going to get any easier in the next few years of college.

beastlywarrior
03-13-2010, 08:45 PM
also you get to join the sweet sae programs, im in baja:D

honda400ex2003
03-13-2010, 10:58 PM
I am a junior this year as an me. it is a huge amount of tough work for sure. if i would have known what i do now about the subject and what is required, i am not sure i would have done it honestly. lol. it is tough for sure but i am in with both feet now and it is too late. learning cool new things everyday even if i am struggling sometimes is great though. once i make it through i would love to do some engine design but i am not real fond of thermo-dynamics and fluid mechanics. steve

jcs003
03-14-2010, 08:14 AM
i am a ME and wear work boots to work every day. i design, fabricate prototypes, manufacture and test our product. i work in the material handling field. we do work for the mining and road construction for the most part. its cool to be involved in all aspects and stages of the industry.

but like it was said before. math and physics is key. you need to be great in algebra to do well in calculus and great in calculus to do well in differential equations and linear algebra.

MX450
03-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Well you guys have deff answered some of my questions, thank you. I guess its a pretty broad field but it sounds challenging and exciting.

Im 23 and ive worked a few dead end jobs, currenty a bank teller which i H A T E with a firey burning passion!

My parents are too the point were they will support me 100% if im in school, but otherwise im out on my own. I figure I better take the opportunity while I can but I want to make sure the hard work is something I want to work for.

From what I have read here as well as other research I have done on the net I think im gonna go for it!

user101
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm not an engineer officially, but I am however a machinist. I work at factory that makes hotel amenities. I might as well be one because they leave everything up to us. All the r&d is up to us. Most of the time they hand us a picture (or if we get lucky one with dimensions) and tell us to make it. We have around 100 different dies for stamping all the different hotel soap bars. I've been using a program called GibbsCam to design new dies. We got Solidworks about 3 days ago and I start class on it Monday.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every mechanical engineer I have worked with hasn't been that good when it comes to an actual mechanical understanding what works and what doesn't work.

Tommy 17
03-14-2010, 07:21 PM
I graduated last december from penn state with a ME degree. I currently work for one of the top 4 auto/atv/motorcycle manufactures in the country.

I've got to have a really cool experience because I'm in the EDP or engineering development program. I do a few different rotations to different departments so I can see the entire company. I work in a manufacturing area most of my days, but right now I'm actually in the engineering group of america. This is how most companies hire you in now right out of college. you come in and rotate all over to get a broader understanding of the place. Sometimes its 6 months, others is 4 or 5 years.

I don't actually design the cars, but my role is the equipment that builds the cars. I work on multi million dollar machines that do things like install the engine/rear sus, glass, tires, fluids, etc... Right now what I do is look at the new model and say what needs to be changed on that piece of equipment for it to be able to build the new car. It starts out with specification writing or saying what exactly needs to be done, then the new equipment is designed. I'll then work with contractors to get quotes and finally support the installation. After the install I'm in charge of maturation of that equipment until it reaches production status for SQDCM or safety quality delivery cost moral. Its a cool job because not only do you get to know all the new models, but you get to work with complex equipment that is not simple. My mechanical background from building my old 400ex has helped me out more then my engineering degree.

In my daily job I do nothing with math or anything else I learned in school. I'll never use most of that stuff again. College was hard at times, but now that I look back it wasn't really that bad. It was more of a can I memorize this for a few days, pass the test, and move on... I do use CATIA, EXCEL, Powerpoint, and a few others. I do alot of reading drawings and trouble shooting, but not the acutal analysis stuff.

The economy is really hurting the job market. I know right now if you were not a previous co-op for us you don't stand a chance. It don't matter who you know co-ops go 1st. I know currently we have 17 openings in my program for july and last I heard about 700 applied.

I could talk about this stuff for hours. I wouldn't change my job for anything in the world. I'm 23, I can buy just about anything I want, paying my bills is never a concern for me. People are amazed at the job I have when I say yeah I'm an engineer for ___________.

MX450
03-14-2010, 10:19 PM
honda?

Fred55
03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Kia/Hyundia? haha jk

BuckIRacer
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by MX450
honda?

The Marysville, OH location kinda gives it away....

TNT
03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by MX450
Well you guys have deff answered some of my questions, thank you. I guess its a pretty broad field but it sounds challenging and exciting.

Im 23 and ive worked a few dead end jobs, currenty a bank teller which i H A T E with a firey burning passion!

My parents are too the point were they will support me 100% if im in school, but otherwise im out on my own. I figure I better take the opportunity while I can but I want to make sure the hard work is something I want to work for.

From what I have read here as well as other research I have done on the net I think im gonna go for it!

Listen, you know back when I was a little younger than you I worked as a mechanic in San-Diego, Ca on turbine engines for about a year after I got my A&P license, and it came time for lay-offs and my manager called me in and said I'm going to do you a favor your first go back to LA and get your degree your too smart to do this the rest of your life. I owe that man my life and will NEVER forget him. Today I sit and watch mechanics my age 50 slave over wrenches up and down stairs and on thier feet ALLLL day for peanuts compared to what I make which is well, well, into the six figures if that motivates you I hope, and I sit comfortable at a desk trust when your my age or older a dest and chair can be nice!!!! ...30 years from now you'll want to be in my shoes all you guys in school keep it up work hard now it will pay off! I hope I pay my debt forward and some of you listen like I did to that manager :D

Smoker
03-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by user101

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every mechanical engineer I have worked with hasn't been that good when it comes to an actual mechanical understanding what works and what doesn't work.

I work as a designer/drafter. I've worked with many disciplines of engineers. Some of them are pretty knowledgeable about a lot of things, those are the people that are fun to work with and you learn a lot of cool stuff working with them. Then there are the other half who are math nerds and couldn't change a tire, wire a light socket and are a pain in the arse to work with. They tell you how to design something that isn't physically possible to make, then they get pissy because they think you are are trying to outbrain the great and powerful engineer. I know it takes a long time to master any trade but some should really spend as much time in the field as possible.

Fred55
03-16-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm a senior right now in college going for my undergrad in Mechanical Engineering and I completely agree on there being two different types. Even in my classes there are kids who are motor heads and have actually worked on mechanical stuff with their hands and then there are those who can can do all the math and stuff just fine but couldn't tell the difference between a cam and a connecting rod.

CNC_guy
03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Smoker
They tell you how to design something that isn't physically possible to make, then they get pissy because they think you are are trying to outbrain the great and powerful engineer. I know it takes a long time to master any trade but some should really spend as much time in the field as possible.

I had to laugh with you on this one. We work hand in hand with many types of engineers and these are by far the worst. I've found that with the companies we deal with, these engineers don't last long. Manufacturers and fellow engineers don't want to put up with them.

The guys that will work with manufacturers and get their hands dirty every once in a while are the ones that seem to have the best job security.

Tommy 17
03-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by CNC_guy
I had to laugh with you on this one. We work hand in hand with many types of engineers and these are by far the worst. I've found that with the companies we deal with, these engineers don't last long. Manufacturers and fellow engineers don't want to put up with them.

The guys that will work with manufacturers and get their hands dirty every once in a while are the ones that seem to have the best job security.

I see this all the time also...

I'm the type of engineer at work that I am just as dirty or dirtier then the other guys. I'll jump right in and help. I feel there is no difference between me or anyone else on the floor. Alot of people seem to really respect me for that and help me out a ton. One of the biggest things I learned is if you let the people on the floor that you are dealing with think you care and value their opinion its so much easier. Sometimes their ideas are great and can make you look good also... but other times your just like what were you smoking last night...

and yes marysville does give it away haha

jcs003
03-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
I see this all the time also...

I'm the type of engineer at work that I am just as dirty or dirtier then the other guys. I'll jump right in and help. I feel there is no difference between me or anyone else on the floor. Alot of people seem to really respect me for that and help me out a ton. One of the biggest things I learned is if you let the people on the floor that you are dealing with think you care and value their opinion its so much easier. Sometimes their ideas are great and can make you look good also... but other times your just like what were you smoking last night...

and yes marysville does give it away haha

i see the point here. but, i was originally a mathematics major and switched to mechanical engineering. i am in work boots and jeans everyday. i may be on a computer one day then the next, on a lathe or milling machine making prototype parts.

i do have a slight disagreement with this view, but i rely on mathematics to make my job easier and being able to manufacture my own designs is critical.

it seems alot of the foreign engineers refuse to get their hands dirty and are very arrogant. it is good for my confidence when me(in work boots and jeans sometimes filthy) blow these arrogant Ph.D. engineers who only know the economics of the business away with theory.