PDA

View Full Version : Nerf Bars or No Nerf Bars?

tywebb3
03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I am tossing around the idea of getting nerfs for my 400. If I get them I want the propeg style without the heal guard like the burgard and older style AC nerfs. My question is are they really worth the $250+? I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a set.

bkelley
03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
You can get a set of Tusk nerf bars for like $100 shipped on eBay. Nerfs are one of my favorite mods. Can't count how many times I've found my foot in the webbing after a sketchy landing or unsuspected bump.

Honda4life05
03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
would you like a broken ankle or no broken ankle?

slightlybent47
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
It would depend on what type of riding you do.
For mx or dune riding I would use the nerfs. But if I was riding where there is a chance that the nerfs will get hung up on stumps or rocks and things like that then I would opt for no nerfs.
Like every thing else it has it’s good and bad side.
If your going to run the nerfs then use the heal guards as well for full protection.

honda400ex2003
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
nerfs for me on any machine i ever own again. it is well worth the money to save bones. they have saved me once, that is enough to buy alot of sets of nerfs. steve

Chipotle
03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I ride trails, mx, drags, and nerfs are a must.
I have never had an issue with them getting hung up on anything.
They have saved me countless times.

MidnightBlade
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
i ride hard and jave never fell off the pegs yet and all my friends say that nerfs are a waste of money. if you trail ride and climb hills then you dont want them they can tangle you up and keep you from bailing out but if you MX then id say get a set and drag racing also

Kevslatvin
03-12-2010, 06:03 PM
If I ever buy another sport quad nerfs will be the first thing that goes on if it doesn't have them already. They saved me more than once on the 400. My Warrior I had before it didn't have them and I screwed up and had a foot slip off the peg and got sucked under. I didn't get hurt luckily just sore but that sold me on nerfs with heel gaurds because I had it happen twice once the leg went infront of the peg and once behind. I think Pro Armor and some others make them with the heel gaurd separate so you can run the metal gaurds or nets or none at all.

slightlybent47
03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Back in the old days 1982 I was riding a Honda 250sx when and my foot slipped off the peg at about 50 mph. It sucked my foot and leg under the tire and would have pulled me clean off the bike, but my other leg was still hooked over the seat so it kept it from pulling me off. I kind felt like was the wish bone at thanksgiving, if ya know what I mean. lol!!!
That was almost 30 years ago and I still have hip problems.

That just goes to show you that one little mistake can last a lifetime!!!

clemsonteg
03-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I like my nerfs, they don't have heel guards so I am gonna upgrade to the tusk nerfs with built in heel guards, I think they run 200 or so on RMAtv and they have the nice wide pegs with the kick up on the end.

Kevslatvin
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Back in the old days 1982 I was riding a Honda 250sx when and my foot slipped off the peg at about 50 mph. It sucked my foot and leg under the tire and would have pulled me clean off the bike, but my other leg was still hooked over the seat so it kept it from pulling me off. I kind felt like was the wish bone at thanksgiving, if ya know what I mean. lol!!!
That was almost 30 years ago and I still have hip problems.

That just goes to show you that one little mistake can last a lifetime!!!

Actually I have an ache/weak feeling in my right knee sometimes, and that is the side I got sucked under both times. Been about three or four years now and I don't remember it bothering me before that.

rcatvrider
03-12-2010, 07:23 PM
If nerfs were bad for trails noone racing gncc would run them. Only downside for trails is when snow/ice builds up in the nets they will eventually become brittle and rip.

tywebb3
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
So I guess it is pretty overwhelming in favor of the nerfs. I like the way the Tusk pro peg nerfs look but the front mount just looks week to me. Most nerfs have the bar being connected across the front where their end at the frame. I wonder if this is something to worry about?

rcatvrider
03-12-2010, 07:31 PM
There is a bar going across the frame, maybe it's not pictured. Tusk nerfs are really solid for the cheap price tag.

tywebb3
03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
If that was the case I would pick up a set.

All of the pictures I have found while searching here make it look like the tube ends at the frame and is held in place with an aluminum tab that is welded to the front tube and bolts to the motor mount on the frame.

If anyone has these installed can you post a picture of the front mount for the Tusk propeg nerfs so I can get a better idea how they mount up?

tbrackman84
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
i dont like nerfs at all, lol

clemsonteg
03-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by tywebb3
If that was the case I would pick up a set.

All of the pictures I have found while searching here make it look like the tube ends at the frame and is held in place with an aluminum tab that is welded to the front tube and bolts to the motor mount on the frame.

If anyone has these installed can you post a picture of the front mount for the Tusk propeg nerfs so I can get a better idea how they mount up?

I think you are right, I dont see any connecting rod in this thread http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=422776&highlight=tusk+nerf and one guy even comments he wishes there were one, but I think that the mount where the peg is alone would be enough to give them enough strength, the rest just adds to it. For another $80 you can get the pro armor nerfs which are more or less the same but I think they connect up front, but I am sure there would be a solution for the Tusk nerfs if you were really concerned about it that would cost less than $80

HY400EX
03-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Absolutely get some nerfs. Last summer I was playing around on a mx track and took flight on a long table top jump. I landed on my left front tire first and it made my left foot come off the peg. Guess what was next. My foot got ran over by the rear tire. It ripped me off the quad and my knee slammed into the foot peg. My son stopped and said dad your knee is bleeding. Well I looked at my knee and it was almost cut open to the bone. After a couple hours in the hospital picking stones and dirt out and 10 stitches later. The next day I ordered two sets of nerf bars for both of my 400ex's. Being 40 years old and still riding like when I was 20. I felt the pain allot longer. But I did pull my skirt up and rode the following week.

03-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I tried a heel clicker once... I realized I didnt have anywhere near enough time to finish and I couldnt find the pegs fast enough. It scared the **** out of me landing with both feet in the nets but damn was I lucky to have them. Last time I ever tried to put my feet up that high in the air lol

rcatvrider
03-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
I think you are right, I dont see any connecting rod in this thread http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=422776&highlight=tusk+nerf and one guy even comments he wishes there were one, but I think that the mount where the peg is alone would be enough to give them enough strength, the rest just adds to it. For another $80 you can get the pro armor nerfs which are more or less the same but I think they connect up front, but I am sure there would be a solution for the Tusk nerfs if you were really concerned about it that would cost less than $80
Sorry for the misinformation, i have the cheaper comp series and figured if the cheap one have the tube going across, the more expensive ones also would.

Anyway, those pegs look awesome.

rinaldi
03-14-2010, 07:49 AM
The Tusk Pro with heel guards are about $160 and look great. I have them and they fronts only mount to the side frame, not all the way across. I have never had an issue yet and I jump this think as much as I can.

tywebb3
03-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I can't make up my mind. Right now I am trying to decide between the Burgard pro peg's w/o heal guards, Tusk pro peg w/heal guards, and standard Tusk w/o heal guard.

The only thing I don't like about the Burgard's is they have to be powder coated and I am sure that will eventually get chipped and beaten up. I like the polish/bare aluminum look.

The only thing I don't like about the Tusk pro peg's is the front mount configuration. It just seems weak...but I know all you guys say it works fine.

The standard Tusks look good but no pro pegs. Looking at old photos of my 250R my nerfs just bolted to the stock pegs on them and I never had a problem? Decisions....decisions.

fatboy666
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
i had a set of dgs on mine when i got it. the one cracked real bad and eventually broke in half. i just put a set of pro armor pro am nerfs on it.

all black with black nets. look sweet. they bolt to the foot peg.

pretty easy to install too. paid 142 for them.

figured later down the road id get the after market pegs.

so if anyone has any for sale. let me know.