PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a dual carrier?

moore020
03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
I went to replace rear axle bearings last night, and found out that there are two bearings on each side of the carrier. There is also a grease zert right in the middle. Is this a dual carrier, is it stock, and if it isn't stock is it better than stock?

clemsonteg
03-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Got any pics?

moore020
03-12-2010, 07:03 AM
I don't have any available yet. Any ideas though?

aDviSol2y
03-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Its not stock. The stock ones don't have zerks. If it were a LSR, it would say LSR right on it. Get some pics and someone will know what it is.

moore020
03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
I looked for writing on it but found none. What are the benefits of a dual carrier.

aDviSol2y
03-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Puts less stress on each individual bearing. My stock carrier decided to grenade one day because the bearing just got tired and fell apart. It was almost a very costly issue. This could destroy your axel, brake hub, sprocket hub etc. I would say you lucked out by having a dual carrier. Yes it means twice as many bearing to replace, but its better in the long run.

bigbad400
03-12-2010, 09:15 AM
that about lsr(lonestar racing correct?) aint all true mine is a lsr dual row and it dont say anything on it, its polished to a mirror finish from the factory. 6 holes on the adjuster and looks nothing like stock.

aDviSol2y
03-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by bigbad400
that about lsr(lonestar racing correct?) aint all true mine is a lsr dual row and it dont say anything on it, its polished to a mirror finish from the factory. 6 holes on the adjuster and looks nothing like stock.

ic, you must have the billet Alu. one. Mine is the cast alu. i just figured they both would say LSR on them.

m36indiana
03-12-2010, 10:20 AM
here is a pic of a lonestar carrier hope it helps

moore020
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks a lot. Appreciate it! Do they take special bearings?

slightlybent47
03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Puts less stress on each individual bearing. My stock carrier decided to grenade one day because the bearing just got tired and fell apart. It was almost a very costly issue. This could destroy your axel, brake hub, sprocket hub etc. I would say you lucked out by having a dual carrier. Yes it means twice as many bearing to replace, but its better in the long run.

I don’t mean to rag on you but, in most cases a carrier bearing frailer is do to the lack of maintenance, not the fact that it has or doesn’t have the double bearing in it.
You should repack the carrier every year.

aDviSol2y
03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I don’t mean to rag on you but, in most cases a carrier bearing frailer is do to the lack of maintenance, not the fact that it has or doesn’t have the double bearing in it.

Well, in my case, it was not due to lack of maintanance. The only thing I take better care of than my bike is my son and wife. Every winter I do my maintanace. Every 2 years I strip my bike to bare frame and go through every nut and bolt. I agree that in most cases failure is due to neglect, but in mine, it was just failure.

clemsonteg
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I would like to know how you get to that zerk when the carrier is inside the swingarm?

chucked
03-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I don’t mean to rag on you but, in most cases a carrier bearing failure is due to the lack of maintenance, not the fact that it has or doesn’t have the double bearing in it.

How do you maintenance a sealed ball bearing? Greasing the carrier wont do anything.

clemsonteg
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by chucked
How do you maintenance a sealed ball bearing? Greasing the carrier wont do anything.

Apparently LSR recognized this because according to their website the carriers no longer come with grease fittings installed. But maybe the idea was not to grease the bearings but that the new grease would push out the old grease that might have dirt trapped in it.

chucked
03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
But if its sealed, it wont. Because.... its sealed!

clemsonteg
03-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by chucked
But if its sealed, it wont. Because.... its sealed!

Like I said, I think they figured that out cause they don't put the grease fitting in there anymore. I am curious where the fitting comes out at when the carrier is inside swingarm. Anyone got a pic for the newb :D

chucked
03-12-2010, 09:05 PM
It doesnt. Its only greasable when its out of the swing arm.

GMC400ex
03-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
I would like to know how you get to that zerk when the carrier is inside the swingarm?

if it is set up like my warrior which is a dual carrier then the zerk is on the outside and easily accessible..that is one positive thing about a warrior vs 400ex is maintainence is easier with all the grease fittings haha