PDA

View Full Version : Extended Axle or Hubs?

bkelley
03-12-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm trying to decide between getting the G-Force extended axle or hubs. I know the axle is stronger and all that but I really think I'd be fine with the hubs. I mostly ride trials and dunes, no MX. The main thing is that the hubs are 1/2 the price. I can afford an axle, but that would take away from other mods that I am saving up for. I also have red hubs and I'm not sure if the hubs would hold paint or not to match the fronts. Really don't want to run two different color hubs, either. I'm gonna see if I can't find a used axle on here for cheaper. That would really be nice.

Anyways, help me choose!

PaRedneckRiders
03-12-2010, 04:41 AM
ok heres a thought, if u find a slighty bent g-force axle and the person has all the receipts for it
because g-force has a lifetime warranty you should b able to send it back and get a new one

F-16Guy
03-12-2010, 06:45 AM
I would go with the hubs for what you need. You're only adding 1.75" per side, so there won't be that much additional stress on the stock axle, and the hubs will be much easier to install. Getting the stock axle off can be a PITA, and then you'll probably also need a locking axle nut for the new axle. You can re-use the stocker, but can be tricky to get it to stay tight. I had to clean mine really well and then use a lot of thread lock compound during assembly and safety wire the jam nut. I wish they would have had hubs when I did mine.

aDviSol2y
03-12-2010, 08:30 AM
My wife had hubs on her 400 and they worked just fine. But she doesnt ride real agressive. One thing to think about is most axel manufacturers warranty their products for life. Im not sure if hub manufacturers do, but if you end up putting too much more stress on your stock axle, you might bend it. Then your stuck buying a new one anyway. My .02.

bkelley
03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, the install was another reason why I was leaning towards the hubs. Pretty sure that's the route I'm going to go. If I do end up bending the axle, I'll just get a new one haha. Really don't think that'll be a problem, though.

jasonwayne222
03-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I have the stock axle and after I changed my carrier I had problems with the locking nut so I looked at my mig welder and was like oh ya thats about to happen. One little tack is all it took and its not going anywhere. If I need to remove it I just grind the little tack off. I wouldnt suggest this to anyone because its not realy fancy or pretty, I know some of u guys just want your quad to look good and theres nothing wrong with that but I just care about performance. So it works really good.

bkelley
03-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Just placed an order for the hubs. And of course some other stuff. Can't ever place an order from RMATV without getting more than what was originally planned.

slightlybent47
03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
My wife had hubs on her 400 and they worked just fine. But she doesnt ride real agressive. One thing to think about is most axel manufacturers warranty their products for life. Im not sure if hub manufacturers do, but if you end up putting too much more stress on your stock axle, you might bend it. Then your stuck buying a new one anyway. My .02.

I agree
You need to repack your carrier every year so taking it apart should not be a factor. If you don’t do this on a regular basis then you are just going to make things worse when you do.
If you wait to long to re pack the carrier then it will be hard if not impossible to get off later.
Repacking the carrier should be part of you regular maintenance program.

honda400ex2003
03-12-2010, 01:04 PM
I like my hubs but i dont use them anymore. lol. the hubs are great for a bit of width on the trail. i say go for the hubs, you will be able to jump a bit and not have to worry but i would not go over 10 ft. steve

bkelley
03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I just ordered a set from RMATV earlier today. They should be fine for me.