PDA

View Full Version : POLL! Best Mx Suspension On the Market?

TeamC&GRacer
01-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Vote your favorite mx suspension here!

Pep Zps
Pep Limited Mass
Custom Axis Dual Adj Triple Rate
Elka
Tcs Zps
Works Tripple rate w/ rezzies

01-26-2003, 08:41 AM
For MX i would say PEP ZPS. Maybe TCS is up there but i have never heard much abt them

TeamC&GRacer
01-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Yeah From what i hear pep zps is up there, this is going to be my next suspension.

01-26-2003, 09:49 AM
I should get my ZPS in like 2 weeks. Ill let everyone know how they are

Dave400ex
01-26-2003, 10:10 AM
I would say the PEP ZPS or Axis Triple Rate with Compression adjust or whatever Jones runs.....

optikid123
01-26-2003, 10:27 AM
axis is the best prob but way to much moneyyy

kicker696
01-26-2003, 10:34 AM
axis is over priced, but what can you really do if you want the best suspention, you know? Although PEP and ELKA are very good, i still think axis is better. Yet due to the price, i am going to be getting elkas

Sparks425Ex
01-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Everyone picks PEP and Axis cause they cost the most and the most pro riders ran those last year. A lot of people have never weven owned them and still say that.

Just wait. Elka is going to be run by a buncha guys this year. Then we will see what every is talking after the season starts.

Elka is just as good as Pep and Axis even tho it costs less. If Elka starter out their prices as high are PEP and Axis then people wouldn't bad mouth them all the time.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-26-2003, 11:07 AM
For MX, I would go with PEP ZPS :D

Sparks425Ex
01-26-2003, 11:13 AM
I have one question:

For all the People that voted for PEP.

Do you guys even have them? I see some guys that are saying PEP and Axis and have works and stock.

I just found it a little funny that you can comment on somthign you have not experienced. And one ride does not mean you have experienced the shocks. Yu gotta ride them to know what they are like.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Nacs425ex
I have one question:

Do you guys even have them? I see some guys that are saying PEP and Axis and have works and stock.

I just found it a little funny that you can comment on somthign you have not experienced. And one ride does not mean you have experienced the shocks. Yu gotta ride them to know what they are like.

I ran PEP's on my Blaster, and I know just how nice they are ;)

I run stock on my EX right now, but eventually I will get PEP :D

OutlawEX
01-26-2003, 11:49 AM
I have one question:

I have ran pep previously and i loved them...My buddy also has them on his R and they are the sweetiest setup (ZPS)..he sold his Axis for the PEP ZPS..I got my ZPS on order should be here anyday now

Sparks425Ex
01-26-2003, 11:52 AM
Sorry Guys I wasn't really refering to you guys.

It was more towards the guys up near the top of the post.

I didn't mean to be a ***** about it. It just gets me how a buncha ppl talk like they know and they have never even ran them.

Just a thought.

trx400ex
01-26-2003, 01:37 PM
I got a question for you, have you ever owned axis and pep? You seem to know that elka is just as good. I have owned several different kinds of shocks and i would have to say AXis first then close second to PEP ZPS. For me the order i would run if i could would be

AXIS
PEP ZPS
PEP LM
TCS
ELKA
WORKS

Also i had some PEP RACE shocks that were just awesome for the price.

Sparks425Ex
01-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Yes as a matter of fact. On my first R I had PEP ZPS. But I was forced to sell the quad because of a financial situtaion. I ride witha guy with AXIS and I ride his quad very often. I not saying I don't Like Axis or PEP I just saying That people hammer on Elka when in my opinion they are just as good. I have never riden on TCS or owned them.

But as for the PEP AXIS AND ELKA situtaion I think they are all equal. I have not found anything that I like more than the others.

Just my opinion tho.

jb400exxx
01-26-2003, 01:53 PM
when the time comes for new A-Arms and shocks it's gonna be +2 long travel with Elka quadrate 19's up front, and the Elka rear rebuild.

roostin_dale
01-26-2003, 01:54 PM
I have heard that the Axis are best! Butim buying Elka's because they are cheaper:D,,,,,and still great shox

TeamC&GRacer
01-26-2003, 02:34 PM
i dont know which is a better shock right now, why do you think i made this post?

A4StrokeGuy
01-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Well i've owned works, TCS, and PEP. The works well we won't go there, the TCS rear rebuild i had was kick arse and i would never hesitate to buy TCS. My PEP shocks are the sweested things i've ever rode on. My friend has the ZPS and i have the race and i feel there both A+ shocks and i'd wait for 2 months for them anytime. I've rode on set of elka's in my life and i'll say this, if its the last set i ride on u won't here me complaining. I agree with trx400ex, the PEP race shocks are the most underrated shocks on the market for $600 theres top notch! As the saying goes, u get what u pay for:macho

Jordan

Dave400ex
01-26-2003, 02:56 PM
It's not the brand of the Shock that makes Axis better then Elka or whatever, but rather that Axis has more time in the industry. I bet if Mark Baldwin setup both PEP ZPS and a comparable Elka you wouldn't tell much a difference, if at all....

trx400ex
01-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by A4StrokeGuy
PEP race shocks are the most underrated shocks on the market for $600 theres top notch! Jordan

And thats the truth. 600$ new and they work better than 500$ works by far and almost as good as the 1k+ shocks. They are similar to works but they are valved way better in my opinion and i dotn know if youve noticed this but mine always seemed to have way less body roll with the PEPs vs. works.

01-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Elka is just as good as Pep and Axis even tho it costs less.
what is your problem with pep. in every shock thread you say elkas just as good or will be just as good. or you say tcs is better than pep. have you owned every shock and tested them all.

beerock
01-26-2003, 10:42 PM
I think its funny that ELKA has more votes then axis:huh

I also think its funny how everyone has compared works to Elkas, pep, and axis. EVERYTIME any of you compare works to elkas or whoever else, do you ever think your not comparing comparable shocks?:o

I would put money on it that the works shocks that are compared to elkas,tcs,pep, and axis are a lower model shock.

lets take the works a-t steeler with rezzies.
1: it has a 1/2" shaft
2: the shock bodies are not as large
3: no threaded preload adj
4: rezzies without comp adj
5: no sag device

most of you have made this comparison to a set of elkas,tcs,pep, and axis like this:
1: 5/8 shaft (feels more solid then 1/2" shaft)
2 larger shock bodies(more shock oil better fade resistance)
3: threaded preload
4:rezzies with comp adj
5:some sort of sag device.

Now if you compared works shocks set up just like a comparable elka,axis,tcs or pep you MIGHT decide differently

works has been around longer then all the shock companies out.
One of the best shocks around uses works bodies(pep). The owner of works and pep are old friends and the difference between works shocks and pep shocks are the valving and the zps spring. Works doesnt have a patented valving system for nothing.;)

I guess being out as long as works has you get more lovers as well as haters.

I know I went out to left feild on this but it is, for the most part, TRUE:(

Did any of you know that the only true triple rate zps/ssd shock is the pep ZPS? the elka that claims to be triple rate is really a dual rate, so is the works,tcs and axis. the elka quad rate Is really a triple rate.:huh

heres works pro series stadium shock with threaded preload, comp&reb, and a self sagging device. im sure if anyone compared these to a comparable elka,axis,pep or tcs they would fend ALOT better then the at- steeler. :D

ieatglue
01-27-2003, 12:17 AM
that picture of the works shock is a triple rate with self sagging device. therefore pep isn't the only company with a triple rate zps/ssd like you said. the pep zps actually has 4 springs, all with different ratings which would make it a quad rate shock to be technical.

beerock
01-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by sponge_bob
that picture of the works shock is a triple rate with self sagging device. therefore pep isn't the only company with a triple rate zps/ssd like you said. the pep zps actually has 4 springs, all with different ratings which would make it a quad rate shock to be technical.

ya you could technically call it a quad rate. Wayne at pep knows that the zps/ssd spring is just to keep the springs in place during full extentsion and do nothing as far as cushioning the ride.

thats why there called triple rates, and thats why the little spring is called the zps not a "quad rate":rolleyes:

the other companies are riding on the technical belief that there are 3 springs so there fore its triple rate.

2k2-300exnj
01-27-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
Here is someone who knows what there talking abt. Great post
yea he explained it to me the other night on aim for about an hour... awsome guy and knows his stuff i highly recomend buying or asking him anything u would need to kno about products such as shocks and many other things
broque im glad u posted it somewhere now make a new post so everyone can see it i wish i saved our convo that explanation was more in detail but people get the point now...

good work bee and i recomend to whoever made the post (forgot what the name was my bad) puts the triple rate zps works in there instead of the works that are there!
my vote goes to PEP

Evan
01-27-2003, 08:41 AM
I voted TCS.

I have never ridden on PEP so I will not make asumptions like other people... I have ridden on the others and for the money and ease of maintence, wait, service, give me TCS. I paid as much for my TCS as most people pay for NEW works of lower quality. If you want you can buy a lower performing TCS for less $$ and upgrade over time. Go here and read about them http://www.racingquads.com/

ieatglue
01-27-2003, 08:47 AM
pep is one of the only(if not the only) companies that use that small spring. the rest of the companies such as elka, axis, and tcs use a triple rate set up with a zps/ssd shock. some of them offer dual rate but there are true triple rate ones. the zps/ssd is all in the valving, not in the springs. i am just saying that pep is not the only company that has a true triple rate zps/ssd shock. almost all the companies have them. pep is a superior shock in my opinion though, i won't run anything but pep.

01-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by beerock
I think its funny that ELKA has more votes then axis:huh

I also think its funny how everyone has compared works to Elkas, pep, and axis. EVERYTIME any of you compare works to elkas or whoever else, do you ever think your not comparing comparable shocks?:o

I would put money on it that the works shocks that are compared to elkas,tcs,pep, and axis are a lower model shock.

lets take the works a-t steeler with rezzies.
1: it has a 1/2" shaft
2: the shock bodies are not as large
3: no threaded preload adj
4: rezzies without comp adj
5: no sag device

most of you have made this comparison to a set of elkas,tcs,pep, and axis like this:
1: 5/8 shaft (feels more solid then 1/2" shaft)
2 larger shock bodies(more shock oil better fade resistance)
3: threaded preload
4:rezzies with comp adj
5:some sort of sag device.

Now if you compared works shocks set up just like a comparable elka,axis,tcs or pep you MIGHT decide differently

works has been around longer then all the shock companies out.
One of the best shocks around uses works bodies(pep). The owner of works and pep are old friends and the difference between works shocks and pep shocks are the valving and the zps spring. Works doesnt have a patented valving system for nothing.;)

I guess being out as long as works has you get more lovers as well as haters.

I know I went out to left feild on this but it is, for the most part, TRUE:(

Did any of you know that the only true triple rate zps/ssd shock is the pep ZPS? the elka that claims to be triple rate is really a dual rate, so is the works,tcs and axis. the elka quad rate Is really a triple rate.:huh

heres works pro series stadium shock with threaded preload, comp&reb, and a self sagging device. im sure if anyone compared these to a comparable elka,axis,pep or tcs they would fend ALOT better then the at- steeler. :D

Here is someone who knows what there talking abt. Great post

beerock
01-27-2003, 02:30 PM
this thread is wacked out, I deleted my other post and im reposting what I said, because this came up in the middle of the thread :huh

this post is probably in the middle of the thread? something buggy is goin on.....

Originally posted by sponge_bob
pep is one of the only(if not the only) companies that use that small spring. the rest of the companies such as elka, axis, and tcs use a triple rate set up with a zps/ssd shock. some of them offer dual rate but there are true triple rate ones. the zps/ssd is all in the valving, not in the springs. i am just saying that pep is not the only company that has a true triple rate zps/ssd shock. almost all the companies have them. pep is a superior shock in my opinion though, i won't run anything but pep.

well, I agreed with you on the technical part of calling a ssd shock a triple rate. I'm partially disagreeing on the part about what makes a shock a zps/ssd and about other companies having a true triple rate(besides elka's quad rate- which is really a triple rate).

first, I want to make this clear, PEP is the ONLY company to have true zero preload. I'm pretty sure Wayne has patents on his zps set up.The only reason i said "zps/ssd" is because they are similar and I dont want to confuse people anymore then they may be. :)

Second, Of course the valving is different for a zps/ ssd type shock. It is because of the zero preload spring or the self sagging spring. Not just the valving. (its a combination of the two)

If you really want to get technical the zps and ssd type shock do have preload on the shock, Albeit, the SLIGHTEST amount, but the weight of the quad overcomes this preload and completely squashed the zps and ssd spring.

So If the THIRD SPRING on the shock is completely compressed under the quads weight what good does it do you while riding the quad?The only thing it does is keep the spring from hitting the top or bottom of the shock like a hammer(by coming out of contact with the top or bottom of the shock). so most triple rates with a SSD (self sagging device) are dual rates.

the definition of a triple rate is a shock with three springs, one for soft easy bumps(small spring and it doesnt completely compress like a ssd) a medium spring for the majority of bumps, jumps and whoops(this is the main spring) and a hard spring (this is for the big jumps and hard impacts). all three springs are suppose to work "progressively" and enhance one another. If you use to soft or stiff of a small spring youll notice it.this is where shock setup comes into play.

I tried to describe the "triple rates" the best I could off the top of my head. That is ultimately what a triple rate should do.

I hope you can understand this.:)

QuadRacer041
01-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by beerock
this thread is wacked out, I deleted my other post and im reposting what I said, because this came up in the middle of the thread :huh

this post is probably in the middle of the thread? something buggy is goin on.....

well, I agreed with you on the technical part of calling a ssd shock a triple rate. I'm partially disagreeing on the part about what makes a shock a zps/ssd and about other companies having a true triple rate(besides elka's quad rate- which is really a triple rate).

first, I want to make this clear, PEP is the ONLY company to have true zero preload. I'm pretty sure Wayne has patents on his zps set up.The only reason i said "zps/ssd" is because they are similar and I dont want to confuse people anymore then they may be. :)

Second, Of course the valving is different for a zps/ ssd type shock. It is because of the zero preload spring or the self sagging spring. Not just the valving. (its a combination of the two)

If you really want to get technical the zps and ssd type shock do have preload on the shock, Albeit, the SLIGHTEST amount, but the weight of the quad overcomes this preload and completely squashed the zps and ssd spring.

So If the THIRD SPRING on the shock is completely compressed under the quads weight what good does it do you while riding the quad?The only thing it does is keep the spring from hitting the top or bottom of the shock like a hammer(by coming out of contact with the top or bottom of the shock). so most triple rates with a SSD (self sagging device) are dual rates.

the definition of a triple rate is a shock with three springs, one for soft easy bumps(small spring and it doesnt completely compress like a ssd) a medium spring for the majority of bumps, jumps and whoops(this is the main spring) and a hard spring (this is for the big jumps and hard impacts). all three springs are suppose to work "progressively" and enhance one another. If you use to soft or stiff of a small spring youll notice it.this is where shock setup comes into play.

I tried to describe the "triple rates" the best I could off the top of my head. That is ultimately what a triple rate should do.

I hope you can understand this.:)

well put,
first let me start out by saying as most of you know i have had 2 bikes with pep zps shocks and i think they work awsome.but.. i just biked up a new R that has elka ssd's on it and after one ride in the woods and on the mx track i am very impressed with the performance.
im not to well schooled on elka's but i did notice that on my new R which has elka ssd's on it, the rear shock does have 2 springs but the top spring is full compressed by the weight of the quad, so like beerock said i dont think you can call it a dual rate shock since the top spring is just used for ssd purposes. not saying this is good or bad just saying that its not a dual rate shock like the axis is.
the front shocks are the same, they have for sets of springs on them, but the top spring is also fully compressed by the quad's wight giving it a zps/ssd ride, so i dont think it can be called a quad rate shock.

Ralph
01-27-2003, 03:35 PM
my tripple rates are the same way, but they are still tripple rate shocks, cause they have 3 springs, but think then when u are on the throttle they start to decrompress cause the front wheels start to leave the ground so realy i thinik it improves a softer ride

boogiechile
01-27-2003, 03:39 PM
beerock is right that the ssd or zps spring does nothing for the suspension except set the sag and it should not be considered as a spring in rating the shock. Any aftermarket and many stock shocks can be a zero preload shock. Zero preload technically means that when the shock is extended that the spring is not compressed at all. If you remove the preload adjuster and extend the shock fully and then put the preload adjuster back on where it just holds the spring in place but does not compress it you have a zero preload shock. That is how I run my axis and most axis are set up that way. So they are a true zero preload shock when set up with no preload on the spring.

now they do not have a zps spring or ssd spring I know. But that is not what makes a shock zero preload. That zps spring only allows you to set the sag lower than the initial zero preload position. When I set my axis preload clip to zero preload and put my shocks on I will get a certain amount of sag. If it is not enough sag to get my quad as low as desired there is nothing more I can do short of putting on softer tender springs which I may not want or need. Now if the zps spring is on there you can raise the preload clip or adjuster even more and the spring will stay in place because of the slight pressure from the zps spring to hold it there. This will then give more sag. Now the valving comes into play because when the shock is fully extended it can compress some before it uses the real springs any at all. During this first amount of compression only the valving is providing any compression resistance. Once the shock compresses a little and gets to the springs they will start to offer resistance.

So bottom line is that any shock can be a zero preload shock but if more sag control is needed it must have a zps/ssd spring. And the valving has to work with the spring setup for zero preload.

Evan
01-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by quad041
well put,
first let me start out by saying as most of you know i have had 2 bikes with pep zps shocks and i think they work awsome.but.. i just biked up a new R that has elka ssd's on it and after one ride in the woods and on the mx track i am very impressed with the performance.
im not to well schooled on elka's but i did notice that on my new R which has elka ssd's on it, the rear shock does have 2 springs but the top spring is full compressed by the weight of the quad, so like beerock said i dont think you can call it a dual rate shock since the top spring is just used for ssd purposes. not saying this is good or bad just saying that its not a dual rate shock like the axis is.
the front shocks are the same, they have for sets of springs on them, but the top spring is also fully compressed by the quad's wight giving it a zps/ssd ride, so i dont think it can be called a quad rate shock.

I think I see what your sayin, thats the way my R is also, my rear has 2 springs but the top is so soft it does nothing cept lower the shock. Heres my question, what good does the preload setting do? You can adjust it all the way in but it does not raise the bike any,, my fronts on the other hand are legacy rhino shocks, 2 springs but they will raise the bike I belive so this means they are dual rate correct? And the rear is a single rate technically with a ZPS spring ehh? Catchy way for the aftermarket to make us think we are getting dualrates etc..

beerock
01-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider
I think I see what your sayin, thats the way my R is also, my rear has 2 springs but the top is so soft it does nothing cept lower the shock. Heres my question, what good does the preload setting do? You can adjust it all the way in but it does not raise the bike any,, my fronts on the other hand are legacy rhino shocks, 2 springs but they will raise the bike I belive so this means they are dual rate correct? And the rear is a single rate technically with a ZPS spring ehh? Catchy way for the aftermarket to make us think we are getting dualrates etc..

right on boogiechile!

x- rider, when you say preload what are you talking about "adjusting it all the way in"

it sounds like your talking about compression?

when a zps shock is adjusted its harder to see the end result

I dunno what your problem is with your rear x rider not enough info.

here is the works stadium rear, it aint no joke ay?

dawzie
01-27-2003, 05:00 PM
We are running axis on the YZF quad and Pep's on the Dale and EX. The Jury is still out on the Axis because we only got to run one race with it last season. We love the Pep's.

Evan
01-27-2003, 05:11 PM
the threaded preload.....it doesnt seem to matter whether its tightned or not, either way the ride height stays the same.

beerock
01-28-2003, 10:37 AM
x-rider, the ride height WILL change maybe you havent noticed it?

UNLESS someone put stops on the inside of the shock shaft so it cant be raised any, in this case the shock will just stiffen up.

I doubt this though.

you have to turn the threaded preload ALOT to see any noticeable height change.

01-28-2003, 11:09 AM
The SSD spring helps keep the wheels on the ground and provide a better ride.. And my elkas don't compress fully when sitting. If I lift the front end up,,the shocks don't compress the top SSD spring back down..so there for it is a spring being used,,and it's not wasted.

The rear Elka is a dual rate and by no means does the top spring compress with the wieght of the quad..the springs are not useless,,if they were,,I'm sure they wouldn't be on there...anywho..i'm not agreein or disagreein with any of ya..since I only read this page..:D Just giving my input...and Lou I'm glad ta see you like the Elka and houser setup...see there not junk like everyone seems to think..some people just spend to much time thinkin when they shouldn't....:o LMFAO

tants
01-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Everyone picks PEP and Axis cause they cost the most and the most pro riders ran those last year. A lot of people have never weven owned them and still say that.

Just wait. Elka is going to be run by a buncha guys this year. Then we will see what every is talking after the season starts.

Elka is just as good as Pep and Axis even tho it costs less. If Elka starter out their prices as high are PEP and Axis then people wouldn't bad mouth them all the time.

very true

QuadRacer041
01-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Rico
The SSD spring helps keep the wheels on the ground and provide a better ride.. And my elkas don't compress fully when sitting. If I lift the front end up,,the shocks don't compress the top SSD spring back down..so there for it is a spring being used,,and it's not wasted.

The rear Elka is a dual rate and by no means does the top spring compress with the wieght of the quad..the springs are not useless,,if they were,,I'm sure they wouldn't be on there...anywho..i'm not agreein or disagreein with any of ya..since I only read this page..:D Just giving my input...and Lou I'm glad ta see you like the Elka and houser setup...see there not junk like everyone seems to think..some people just spend to much time thinkin when they shouldn't....:o LMFAO

well if i lift up my bike like u are discribing the top springs will stay uncompressed but after a while it will settle down and compress the springs.

i know you didnt say i said it but.....i never said elka was junk, i would always stick up for the shocks that i use and say that they are great.to me elka was still unproven 6 months to a year ago but because so many people are buying them they are getting alot of exposure.now i havent used them enough to say they are as good as my pep's but from what ive seen so far i like'em esspecially considering they arent even set up for my weight.

boogiechile
01-28-2003, 01:07 PM
I never said the zps spring was useless, maybe somebody else did. What i said was that it is used to get more sag then you could get by setting the working spring/springs at zero preload. Therefore it is usefull to lower ride height (add sag) if that is the goal. If you raise your quad and then the zps/ssd spring does not colapse when you let it go, it probably will if you move the handles bars back and forth and for sure will when you get on the quad. If it does either it is not doing much to act as a spring, but it is not supposed to. It is there to allow the sag to be set.

It is possible to use a little stronger zps/ssd spring that becomes more like a weak tender spring. Then the spring will allow a lot of sag control and supply some amount of resistance. I did this with my Axis shocks. The tender spring that came on the shock did not give me enough sag even set at zero preload. So I installed a weaker tender spring that sags more and run it at zero preload. It is softer initially now and has a more noticable transition to the main spring. It also requires adjusting the crossover rings to switch the shock to the main spring at the proper time. If my shocks had a zps/ssd spring I could have gotten the same sag without changing the tender spring however.

Dave400ex
01-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Rico my shocks are just like yours. I have noticed that with it sitting lower I can really go in to turns faster and not feel like I am going to flip...

ridered03
01-28-2003, 06:11 PM
elka all the way!!!!!

beerock
01-28-2003, 07:04 PM
I never said the zps or ssd spring was useless either.;)
Its purpose is to sag the bike to your liking without having the springs flop around on full extention.

Rico,
If the elka rear is a dual rate with a fairly light second spring.
then its both the ssd and a dual rate? Maybe the second spring is a small or large progressive spring?

How does elka make there single rate sag? they must use a progressive spring for the rears?

take a look at a true dual rate pep zps it has 3 springs.....(one zps spring and two shock springs)

works,axis and elkas have a weird way of describing there shock rates.

It seems pep is the only one with there hat on straight when it comes to shock rates.

01-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Well that's it,,,I'm throwin the Elka's in the ditch and puttin the stockers back on..:( :huh

Tommy 17
01-28-2003, 07:10 PM
if u put my elkas on the side of a hill or where the weight is not equal on the front end one ssd spring will compress and the other is fine... i think that helps you out in the ruff stuff bc one wheel is always on the ground sorta...

i can pick up my front end and it will sit there and not compress... it can sit there for a week and i'll go back and its still not compressed...

TeamC&GRacer
01-28-2003, 08:14 PM
rico dont throw them in the ditch! hook me up :)

beerock
01-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Well that's it,,,I'm throwin the Elka's in the ditch and puttin the stockers back on..:( :huh
rico im not dissin the elkas.

Im just making it known that the shock rates some companies say they have arent truly correct.

Besides pep.

is it that hard to realize?

also, even if your shocks stay uncompressed when you lift the bike up what happens when you sit on the bike?

my guess is they compress all the way. and if it doesnt thenhow can you lower the ride height without haveing spring play. (unless the one spring is a progressive rate- very soft for 3-4" and then hard)

also, any shock will extendon one side and compress on anotherside on a hill.

This however is one bad part of a zps or ssd setup if your on that certain hill and the one shock is completely extended and the other is compressed and you happen to shift your weight to the uncompressed shock it will fall onto the stiffer spring causing a slight jolt and if caught off gaurd could cause you to fall off. (speculating here)

ALL Shocks are made to keep the tires on the ground the zps or ssd spring is meant for lowering the ride height without having a spring come off the stops.

I'd like to say if anyone says ssd or zps, please say that and not zps/ssd.

I know i did in a previous thread but it is incorrect since zps and ssd are different.

I guess you could say, elka, works,tcs, axis and etc name there "ssd" spring the "dual" or "triple" even "quadrate"

but like i said if all it does is lower the ride height (while sitting on the bike)then it really isnt part of the shock rate.

gsxr68
01-29-2003, 12:53 PM
why no votes for PEP LTD Mass

Dave400ex
01-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Well when PEP ZPS and PEP LTD Mass are on the same pole everybody that likes/has PEP's will vote ZPS....

Bart
01-29-2003, 02:54 PM
Beerock,

I am confused. Can you show me a picture of a "true" PEP dual rate rear shock with 3 springs? All of the ones I have seen (including my own) only have 2 springs. The main body spring (blue) and the zps spring.

http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com/PEP.htm

The fronts are another story...

beerock
01-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Fred
Beerock,

I am confused. Can you show me a picture of a "true" PEP dual rate rear shock with 3 springs? All of the ones I have seen (including my own) only have 2 springs. The main body spring (blue) and the zps spring.

http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com/PEP.htm

The fronts are another story...

The ones you have seen are all single rate rears on that site.

The only dual rate zps rear shock made is for laeger cr500 linkage swingarms.

these dual rate shocks are meant ONLY for class A and Pro riders that have a certain style that makes them prone to bottoming alot(leaning back all the time and hitting everything WOT)

This doesnt mean that all pro riders need a dual rate it depends on there style.

I bet you were waiting for me to say, the dual rate zps HAS 3 SPRINGS!!
one zps (for sag) , the large main spring(for most of the terrain), one small spring (For the harshest impacts).

I just got off the phone with mark baldwin and I told him what I was writing about on the forum, He said two things.
One, He doesnt have time for any forum. TWO, he said thank you about laying out the truth about the rates. he did say there are some grey areas (thats why the other companies get away with it)

the grey areas would be something like rico and tommys shocks that dont compress all the way.
(I still havent heard back from either rico or tommy to see if that spring completely compresses when they sit on the bike)

If it doesnt then well, thats the grey area.
But of course there not pep's, there elkas.

The reason no one else uses pep zps is because wayne has patents on his design(im pretty sure) he also has brothers that are patent lawyers. I wouldnt want to infringe on him.

ssd works well but once again they say the ssd spring is part of the spring rate and there truely not.

Ralph
01-29-2003, 04:02 PM
if u look closesly eaven when not sitting on it my elksa first spring is compressed

Ralph
01-29-2003, 04:05 PM
i dotn care how many springs are on my shock, as long as they keep handling as nice as the do! i love these shocks so much and im worrieng when i get my rezzys they might not be rebuilt the same...

ESR250R
01-29-2003, 07:01 PM
ya mine always compressed the first spring with the weight of the quad.

beerock
01-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by ESR250R
ya mine always compressed the first spring with the weight of the quad.

YOUR BLINDING ME!!!!:devil

Evan
01-30-2003, 01:51 AM
BLAHH you lost me with all that stuff about springs not compressing and crap, if there is only one true ZPS shock, then the other companies are false advertising??:huh I guess Im lost like lrd, as long as it feels good when I ride it, I dont care.

BTW- Im not sure where I heard this, but I am wondering how long it will be before we see this in ATVs. I belive it was in a luxury car like Lexus or Infiniti, I am not sure. They had this shock design where the 2 front shocks were hooked together, and as you went around a turn, and the outside shock was compressed, it displaced the fluid to the other shock, which made it stiffer and allowed it to stay in contact with the ground. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

QuadRacer041
01-30-2003, 04:25 AM
i have a question,why do dome elka's have the piggy back ressy's and others have remote bottles?????its not like they are on differnt bikes either ive seen some 400 with both setups, why?

01-30-2003, 05:54 AM
I believe most shock companies standard setup is remote rezzies and for some reason,,,Elka's standard seems to be piggy back rezzies. I just ordered mine and I think that's what came..I love em that way,,If my works were like that I"d be keeping them instead of sellin them..:(

QuadRacer041
01-30-2003, 08:24 AM
i think due to lack of spellying skills :eek:
my question didnt come accross right.what i am trying to ask is why does elka sell some shocks as piggy backs and others as remote cans? why not make them all the same why>?

01-30-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by quad041
i think due to lack of spellying skills :eek:
my question didnt come accross right.what i am trying to ask is why does elka sell some shocks as piggy backs and others as remote cans? why not make them all the same why>?

Lou I'd say they're tryin to meet the needs of the customer... and giving them both options...

I know I'm glad I don't have more crap to mount up somewere in my frontend...:D

QuadRacer041
01-30-2003, 08:43 AM
i hear yeah, the thing that i dont like about piggy backs is it makes it harder to put my shockwears on lol

beerock
01-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider

BTW- Im not sure where I heard this, but I am wondering how long it will be before we see this in ATVs. I belive it was in a luxury car like Lexus or Infiniti, I am not sure. They had this shock design where the 2 front shocks were hooked together, and as you went around a turn, and the outside shock was compressed, it displaced the fluid to the other shock, which made it stiffer and allowed it to stay in contact with the ground. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

yeah its called magnetic dampening

they use it on the vette and the cadillac.

I think it may be a long time before it comes into atvs, there is some sort of control center that runs it.

it is a nice set up though.

but the best set up is the hydraulic susepnsion.

it makes the car do exactly the opposite of what it normally does.

the body of the car acts like a boat in the turns and the outer suspension extends and the inner compresses which gives better cornering.

this type of suspension is used in F1

:cool:

Dave400ex
01-31-2003, 01:53 PM
I myself wish I would have gotten the Piggybacks instead of the Remote, but when I first got my Shocks I liked the Remote better, but now with all the crap I have up front the Piggybacks would be nice....

AC 400 ex 02
01-31-2003, 03:30 PM
i like the Pep ZPS alot but im setting my quad up for XC and Elka is better for the XC purpose but they also make a really nice Mx suspension

nick23
01-31-2003, 05:14 PM
zps all the way guys!