PDA

View Full Version : Issues with +2 arms?

flyboy1294
03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I got Laeger +2 arms for my 400ex a while back for this rebuild I'm in the middle of.

Today I noticed that the wheels turn WAY too far out. If I turned at speed it would either flip or break the tie rod ends off. My tierods are a little out of adjustment, but this looks like a whole different issue.

I am running the stock steering stem. Is this a normal issue with extended arms? I thought about changing my steering stop by welding on a little bit. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for the help.

slightlybent47
03-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Did you replace the stock tie rods with new extended rods?

flyboy1294
03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Did you replace the stock tie rods with new extended rods?

Yes, I installed extended tie rods.

gtt416ex
03-12-2010, 05:59 AM
when you turn, do the wheels hit the arms?

aDviSol2y
03-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Don't mess with your steerign stop. Most likely your tie rods are just out of adjustment or your camber/caster is out of adjustment. When you have the bars pointed straight ahead, are your tires pointing straight ahead? Are your tires straight up and down? I always adjust my tie rods so my tires piont in a few degrees to help it track straight. Also have the tops of the tires tilted in a few degrees to help with handling. Hope this makes sense.

flyboy1294
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
416:
No, they do not touch.Even though they do come close.

advisol2y:
The camber/caster is about right. The tires sit up and down. However, the wheels point slightly outward when the bars are straight, the left significantly more so than the right.

gtt416ex
03-15-2010, 05:40 AM
try adjusting your toe in/out. and that should center your steering. don't worry about the tires turning sharper than stock, most aftermarket a-arms do that. mine turns alot sharper than it used to, but when i turn it to the stops it spins around really quick, i don't think it'll make you flip or break something

Muzzgit
03-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah you gotta get it so it's toe in!

I had +2+1 put on last year and I noticed a few changes in the steering, most notably what I thought was oversteer (and it probably is). It takes a little getting used to, but the added width and being more stable in high speed corners is worth it.

I keep over steering in soft sand, which slows me down sometimes, and scares the poop outa me sometimes too, but I'm only a weekend rider so it's not like I'm loosing races or anything.

******* I read a funny way of describing it the other day, and I know you all know what it is, but...................

"Understeer is when you hit the tree between the headlights.
Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the tail lights"

Well I thought it was funny anyway :D