PDA

View Full Version : Brake Questions

CJM
03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I bought all new calipers and lines, mine were trashed.

1. Rear pedal feels fine and isnt spongy, but the brake seems to be dragging alot. I looked at my EBC severe duty pads compared to the stock pads the loaded caliper came with-they seem to be thicker?

2. Front seems to giving me trouble. I replaced the 3 line setup with a 2 line setup. They connect both at the master, then split tot he calipers, there is no junction anymore. I also did the calipers and pads.

I cant seem to get the air out, instructions said to:
1. Loosen banjo bolts at the calipers

2. Pump brake lever till fluid comes out. It doesnt seem to be coming out nearly as well as the rear did. It will barely trickle even if I pump. I left them open a bit hoping for a gravit bleed.

3. Said to then tighten banjo bolts down till barely loose and then pump then open bleeder nipple...

IDK wtf to do now except hope gravit bleeding will help

CJM
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Update:
I tried gravity bleeding with no effect, I tried just the bleeders and I tried to banjo bolts with no luck

I think I need to bench bleed the master?

CJM
03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
YES SUCCESS!!

To those who will attempt to do this, lemme tell you what: What a PITA!

I finally got feeling after using a pressure bleeder and bleeding each side like 3-4x then using the old pump method.

The pressure bleeder pulled the fluid thru the lines enough to finally get some feeling. It feels REALLY good now.

honda400ex2003
03-13-2010, 09:44 PM
congrats dude, bleeding is a pain. There is a reason i dont have stainless lines yet lol. it works a lot better with the pump than having someone try to pump the lever and bleed it out. I dont have a pump so my stock lines are great lol. steve

CJM
03-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Believe it or not I have had that pump for years, bought it for like 20 bucks at sears when I didnt have a hand to do brakes on a car-turns out it works horribly on cars but great on bikes!

Im not sure if the line setup had anything to do with it. I went with the 2 line setup straight from the master and therefore bypassing the T junction, other kits ive seen (and are more $$) use an aftermarket T junction.

I think the main issue is the master itself is so small and pushes so little fluid unlike a car that it makes getting air out a PITA.

honda400ex2003
03-13-2010, 11:04 PM
i think so too, you can pump for a long time and not get a full res through the line just pumping it, especially both sides when there is a T in it. steve