PDA

View Full Version : ProLong and Dura Lube

400exJOE
11-26-2001, 03:19 PM
Has anyone ever heard of these engine additive products? The run cars with no oil and no water in the radiator and they keep going. They reduce heat and reduce friction and and reduce wear. I am not saying I belive these infomercials but the sound real good for quads since they run hot a lot of the time. Also, I am getting a 440 soon and have heard they run hotter than stock. Do you think these products would be a good idea to add?

papaw
11-26-2001, 04:17 PM
i don't know about those but sparks racing backs a product called energy release.i used it all this year with my new 416 motor and have not had any problems,but i also haven't tore into my motor yet but soon to be..

11-27-2001, 08:23 PM
The key to engine additives is compatability with wet clutches. Most "friction reducing oil additives" were designed WITHOUT this in mind. Your quad's clutch relies on friction to hook up, so if you were to take some of that away.....

On the flip side, I've got a buddy that builds drag bikes and has proven *Pro-Long* decreases engine wear, and gets him an eight second quicker in the 1/4 mile without causing wet clutches to slip. At his recommendation I use it in all my street bikes, quads, and cages. I have over 60,000 trouble-free miles on wet clutches using *Pro-Long* but can't support any *other* manufacturer's claims. If you decide to use it, don't use more than half a bottle as a 400EX has less than half the oil capacity that bottle was designed for.

-Soldier

Magicfan25
11-27-2001, 10:32 PM
OK as for the prolong test,i'm callin BS about the infomercials. I dont know if its true but I read that after prolong supposedly drivin that car up california with no oil some company tried to reproduce it. They got two chevy rebuilt engines, ran them with oil and prolong in it, then drained it like the informercial. Both engines seized 10minutes later and were being investigated by the government. hence why you probably dont see the adds anymore.

An eighth of a second quicker in the 1/4? I just have trouble seeing it reducing that much friction. I mean when you're talkin drag bikes, probably runnin 8s, .08 is quite a bit of power, like probably 10hp or more. if it did that every race team in the world would be running it. the only real way to tell how much difference it makes is to hook the engine up to an electronic motor that spins the engine while its off. That will tell you how much power it takes to run and you could see any power difference. I think of prolong like slick 50 and other snake oils.

11-28-2001, 04:53 AM
OK, probably should have rephrased that one sentence as he only *attributes* the 8th second to ProLong but has *proven* it reduces engine wear with a Micrometer. He told me a used to rebuild a motor after X many runs, and when he disassembled a motor for a rebuild after running P.L. he just stuck it back together....several times. He ended up extending his rebuild interval. BTW, this was in a 200HP 750cc V-4 that he's been racing since 1982 .

As far as my own claims, I only claim it hasn't hurt a wet clutch in any of my bikes/quads. Don't have access to an engine or inertia dyno locally, so I don't know what HP, if any, PL makes. Perhaps it doesn't hurt a wet clutch because it doesn't live up to it's claim of reducing friction after all. Not in the same league as Slick-50 in my opinion as it is actually a liquid, not ground up Teflon to clog your filter and little else. Use it if you want, but be sceptical of anything before gambling your clutch.

-Soldier

Leo
11-28-2001, 05:19 AM
If you want to spend some money, skip the 'super additives' and buy yourself an EXriders.com T-shirt!

Working as a mechanic I can tell you this, 90% of the motor jobs we get in the shop start like this....

"I don't understand it, I just changed the oil... I even added [insert snake oil name here] to help the motor last longer..."

It's been my experience (at least on automobile engines) that this stuff is bad news....

I wouldn't run it in my lawnmower, let alone my quad or truck.

Leo

Guy400
11-28-2001, 05:59 AM
As far as that infomercial goes with draining the oil and letting it run, a court found them guilty of false advertising and forced them to remove the TV commercial and change their claims. I can't remember the details but someone posted the newspaper article after the court proceedings over at camaroz28.com a while ago. They made these 'scienifically proven' claims and none of it was true. The one that cracks me up is the one where they're running the motor with the valve covers off it but all the while they're spraying the thing with a garden hose (and cold water). It doesn't surprise me one bit that the motor could continue running while cold water is constantly being applied to the block and heads and what cold water does go through the galley's gets pumped through the motor. Water isn't a great lubricant but it'll work for an infomercial.

11-28-2001, 02:39 PM
I found this stuff called "no smoke" I think that was the name.,, anyways I put that stuff in my Recon which needed a new top end and then it stopped smoking !! and actually got alittle bit of my power back!! this stuff is THICK like molasses (sp). My dad put some in his Jeep and that stuff made our old jeep run better too!!!!! If you dont beleave me good for you but I will be running this stuff in my rigs.:eek: