PDA

View Full Version : greasing flexx bars??

Honda4life05
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on greasing the flexx bars. i took them apart most of the way but i can't get the metal bushings out to grease them. i'm wanting to grease them because it takes almost my full body weight to push them down with the softest elastomers in. any help would be great!

d3ktrix
03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
The metal pins need to be pressed out.
No amount of hammering will take them out, you'll flare the alum before they come out.

Mine got stiff like yours, wouldn't even rebound. I used my friends press to push the pins out. Cleaned and lubed them with marine grease.
Were like brand new.

03-10-2010, 09:32 PM
seems like a design flaw... I wonder what the company reccomends?

D Bergstrom
03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
seems like a design flaw

Why? It is a unsealed pivot point, need to maintain it. Can't expect them to go forever without pulling the pins and adding some grease.

Just like d3ktrix said, need to use a press, come apart easy then. Clean and grease the pins and use the press to reinstall.

Doug

d3ktrix
03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
seems like a design flaw... I wonder what the company reccomends?

The instructions that come with the bars let u know that they will need to be cleaned periodically.

Like Bergstorm said, its regular maintenance.
Mine lasted about a season before they first needed to be cleaned. Since I cleaned them they have had 2 seasons on them and still feel perfect.
Not very significant, pretty hassle free IMO.

Takes less then 15min with a press once the bars are off the bike.

You can also send them back to Fasst to have it done if u don't have access to a press. I doubt they will charge u, they have great customer service.

03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
but to need a press to grease something that isnt simple maintainance. Can you put a grease zerk somewhere on there?

D Bergstrom
03-10-2010, 11:13 PM
but to need a press to grease something that isnt simple maintainance. Can you put a grease zerk somewhere on there?

I think it is simple maintainance. This is the press I have:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-917030/

Bought it over two years ago, for sure have got my monies worth, I use it all the time. One of the best investments I ever made.

I would not install a zerk, drilling my handebars would make me nervous, don't want to create a weak point. I have had my flex bars for almost three years, I have only had to grease them once in that time.

Doug

Sjorge450R
03-11-2010, 01:08 AM
ah. I have my own press. C Clamp and a 2x4 with a hole drilled in it. If the part is deeper than 2" use a 4x4. Works for me.

bmerriman12
03-11-2010, 07:36 AM
...and this is why atv four play soft bars have a better design to them...

veenser2000
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
they have a video of how to rebuild them on their website... and you dont need a press also it can be done on the machine.... my were seized to the point of me putting all my weight on them and they wouldnt move. I just inserted a soft bolt that was slightly smaller diameter into the tube and whack away.... thats what they recommend on the video but use a punch instead..

here it is:

http://www.fasstco.com/products/flexx/service.shtml

03-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by bmerriman12
...and this is why atv four play soft bars have a better design to them...

my thoughts exactly

mxrcr103
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
They are a major pain to knock out with a hammer while still on the bike. Save yourself the missery and take them off to service. I have a middle sized vise that you can purchase from any hardwear store that I use to press them out with. I use a deep socket a little larger than the sleeve that has to be pressed out as a tube for the sleeve to slide into.Hope that made since. And also I just purchased another set of flexx bars over the fourplay. I really considered the fourplay bars but I am not sure about there durability. Sure the flexx bars are a pain to service but the simplicity of there parts are pretty failproof.

d3ktrix
03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by veenser2000
they have a video of how to rebuild them on their website... and you dont need a press also it can be done on the machine.... my were seized to the point of me putting all my weight on them and they wouldnt move. I just inserted a soft bolt that was slightly smaller diameter into the tube and whack away.... thats what they recommend on the video but use a punch instead..

here it is:

http://www.fasstco.com/products/flexx/service.shtml

Nice video.

But when mine stiffened up, there was no way hammering the pin out was an option. I tried :P
The bars in the video were fresh, apparently it makes a big difference :P

So just keep up with the maintenance, don't let them get too bad and you won't need a press.

Honda4life05
03-14-2010, 01:54 PM
thanks for the info guys. the guy before me didn't keep them lubed so they are tough to get out. i'm going to try the c-clamp trick an see if that works.

quad2xtreme
03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I made my own sleeve for the pin to go into when pressing it out. I used an old chromoly steering stem that was bent.

I use to pound the sleeve out with a pin punch but it just isn't worth the effort. It is easier to take the bars off and use the press.

A pin punch looks like this. It nicely fits down inside the sleeve. It works great with the press. I also use the pin punch to knock out a stock swingarm bolt.

I doubt you could install a grease zerk and squeeze any grease in. The tolerances are incredibly tight. I would have to think that Fasstco would be aware of the need for a greasable solution and haven't come up with one...meaning you probably shouldn't mess with the design.

/Jon

Honda4life05
03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
well i finnaly got them out! i left the bars on the bike becasue i would have had to take off everything like the throttle, brakes, handguards, and kill switch. i used a deep socked like the other guy was talking about. they fell so much better now. thanks