PDA

View Full Version : Coolant in oil- Need Help

ds450xracer
03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
So earlier I tried to turn the bike over and it wouldnt even spin over. I pulled the plug and there was coolant sitting in the cylinder. I pulled it down and found right away that the head gasket was destroyed. Checked for rust everything was fine so i put in a new head gasket. I pulled the drain plug and for the first second it was straight coolant. After i flushed the case out to where i was getting no coolant i filled it up, and turned it over and it fired up. It was white smoking a lot but i assumed that it was just burning off any residue in the valves or piston, but it continued. I pulled the dipstick on the oil resi and it was right up to the brim and it had once again been contaminated by coolant. So i drained it all and pulled everything down including the cylinder. The head gasket looks fine and i cant see cracks anywhere. Im kinda stumped. Do any of you have any advice or insight...?

Thanks

ZRider400
03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
sounds to me like the oil seal in your water pump went bad.. that will let it go into the bottom end.

ds450xracer
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Ok awesome ill have to go check that out. I really hope that is what it is. Thanks for the help

ds450xracer
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
well i looked at the oil seal in the water pump and it isnt that either, anyone else have any suggestions?

ds450xracer
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Anyone????

Ride1Rob
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Crack in your cylinder (Bad) or crack in your head (much worse). Tear the head apart and check your cylinder walls to make sure there are no hairline cracks in it. If not, check you coolant flow ports in the head as well. Just to be sure, did you torque the cylinder head and head down to spec when you put it back together?

ds450xracer
03-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Yep it was all torqued to spec. I checked the head and cylinder surface for warpage last time I had it apart. I didnt see or feel any cracks in the cylinder which makes me think its the head... I cant imagine that it ever got hot enough to crack the head tho. What do you think could have caused this. Im going to go get the cylinder magnafluxed to check for cracks. When I take it back apart for the third time this week lol. Good new is it should only take me about 30mins or less to do it. lol

ds450xracer
03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I havent gotten around to pulling it back down yet, but how likely do you all think it could be that the head is cracked? When I had the cylinder out i couldnt see any visible cracks. Could the crack be small enough to be overlooked but still let in enough coolant to white smoke out the exhaust and contaminate the oil?