PDA

View Full Version : 500cc 2-stroke vs 500cc 4-stroke

standardryder
03-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Back in the day my dad use to be pretty into riding, like I am now. He use to have a suzuki LT500 (quadzilla) and he use to swear up and down it would spank my (stock motor) yfz. Well this winter I build up my motor a bit, it sits now a 478. He refused to give it a rip so I called him out and asked if he was scared of it and he threw out the "my lt500 would have walked all over that 4 stroke" comment. Since I dont have an LT to compare it against I have no way of knowing, so Im looking for an answer. Hands down, who would rape who in just all out power? Any info would be nice.
Thanks

03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
With modern technology and 4 stroke design I would place my bets on the 4 stroke. No doubt the 500cc 2 strokes are nuts. But with the power people are getting out of 4 strokes not to mention the ridability is a big factor there. Who knows? Try it out and let us know.

slightlybent47
03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Well you’re comparing a built 450 to a stock 500 I assume. I used to have a quadzilla but I’ve never had or ridden a built yfz so I can’t say. But I do know the 500 was sick and was the fastest quad back in the day. There not a good woods bike but in the duns they would rip.

kfx400rider03
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
i rode my buddys quadzilla and wasnt too impressed by it. but it was stock besides the exhaust. it did have balls but wasnt as powerful as he claimed and everyone else claimed it was. but his could have not been rebuilt for a while

Rich250RRacer
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I've owned many different quads, bikes, and trikes and ridden a lot more, including YFZ's and Quadzillas. Stock for stock, in new condition, in terms of pure power, the 'Zilla would be the power champion. Maybe not by a huge difference, but it would definitely be clear. The chassis and handling might be outdated, but the two-stroke will still do it. It's the same as comparing a CR500 to a CRF450. When we start talking about modding these motors, the two stroke will produce more for less money, and still be more reliable. It doesn't take much to get a new four-stroke to the time-bomb stage, and that's because they're already tweaked to near peak potential to still be reliable. Most of the two-strokes have a long way to go before they reach that point. A perfect example is a Banshee. Stock, the Banshee puts out 38HP. Ask any reputable engine builder and they will give you at least double that, and you'll still be able to ride that thing every weekend with minimal work. Try doubling a 450R or YFZ's horsepower and you're going to have a moneypit in terms of cost to build and maintenence.

chucked
03-10-2010, 07:32 PM
I would put my money on the LT.

honda350r
03-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Quadzillas do not impress me at all on any level .

I would say the YFZ would beat a Zilla with out much trouble.

Derrick Adams
03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
The Zilla will KILL the YFZ in shear power. Handling is a whole different story. The Zilla had by far the most usable power of any 2 stroke quad produced. Can't argue with 500ccs of counter-balanced 2 stroke horsepower. Too bad they were tanks and handled like crap.

Some day I would love to build a Zilla motored LTR Hybrid. That would make for one wicked machine!

SRH
03-10-2010, 09:18 PM
ive ridden a few cr 500s ...if the zilla is anything like that the yfz is like a moped in comparison

woodsracer144
03-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
The Zilla will KILL the YFZ in shear power. Handling is a whole different story. The Zilla had by far the most usable power of any 2 stroke quad produced. Can't argue with 500ccs of counter-balanced 2 stroke horsepower. Too bad they were tanks and handled like crap.

Some day I would love to build a Zilla motored LTR Hybrid. That would make for one wicked machine!

agreed with you, but i think a zilla hybred (with the lt250 chassis) would be really fun, just have a true 500 with a good port job and a good carb and a Q pipe and hold on honey!

IcutMetl
03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Agreed with most everything above...those Quadzillas are 500cc powervalved 2-stroke fire-breathing trench diggers. I can only imagine if you stuck an equal amount in each engine, and solely concentrated on porting, pipe, and carb work for the 'zilla!

woodsracer144
03-10-2010, 09:45 PM
we need to get 800screws in here, he has or had best of both worlds, a 540 lt in a jp outlaw with the 250r geo! talk about something to hang on with...

jcs003
03-11-2010, 02:32 AM
zilla without question. i never rode one but i had a warrior(350 4-poke), banshee(350-twin 2-stroke), 400ex and trx250r. based soley on straight line power the banshee was the fastest. my 250r is the fastest out of the hole.

with this being said i rode a yz490 and a yz450f and the yz490 has alot more power.

gtt416ex
03-11-2010, 05:50 AM
my dad's zilla is bored 1mm over, and is piped. it's pretty quick but we haven't got it running right, it'll still out run a piped yfz easily, it has to be one of the fastest accelerating quads i've rode. if you race one that's ported, bored, and piped, you'll have a hard time beating it.

tbrackman84
03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
well in terms of hilclimbing here in the coal hills, quadzilla's are godly compared to YFZ's or any other 4 stroke 450. They freaking scream up hills as the guy on the 450 watches with the rest of us lol

e463x
03-11-2010, 08:59 AM
The quadzilla is a tank its only fast in strait lines that it. Even when you start putting work in to the quadzilla there still not that fast for a 500cc.
Banshee is were the two stroke powers at. :macho

CHAR250R
03-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by e463x
The quadzilla is a tank its only fast in strait lines that it. Even when you start putting work in to the quadzilla there still not that fast for a 500cc.
Banshee is were the two stroke powers at. :macho

Not much bottom end for the Banshee.
The Banshee handles worse than the Quadracer 500.
The Quadzilla would be faster than the YFZ, but not for long. I think the YFZ would be easier for long periods of ride time. You have to work to keep the 500 moving at a good pace. The YFZ is more foregiving, and handles much better.

I guess it all boils down to who is riding which quad and for how long. For a short blast around the track, I'll take the Quadzilla.

For a long race, I'll take the YFZ.

backwoodsracer
03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
Back in the day my dad use to be pretty into riding, like I am now. He use to have a suzuki LT500 (quadzilla) and he use to swear up and down it would spank my (stock motor) yfz. Well this winter I build up my motor a bit, it sits now a 478. He refused to give it a rip so I called him out and asked if he was scared of it and he threw out the "my lt500 would have walked all over that 4 stroke" comment. Since I dont have an LT to compare it against I have no way of knowing, so Im looking for an answer. Hands down, who would rape who in just all out power? Any info would be nice.
Thanks

I most certainly would hope your father wont rape you...

standardryder
03-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer
I most certainly would hope your father wont rape you...

Meh, whatever works. Anywho so pretty much a stock lt and a built yfz would run pretty even, but a built lt, no contest?

woodsracer144
03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
Meh, whatever works. Anywho so pretty much a stock lt and a built yfz would run pretty even, but a built lt, no contest?

dont forget about the rider... i've seen guys on a 400ex that looks like it hell and is all rigged together spank race ready 450s cause they knew how to ride...

i still think a zilla would win...

907Rider
03-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I've owned many different quads, bikes, and trikes and ridden a lot more, including YFZ's and Quadzillas. Stock for stock, in new condition, in terms of pure power, the 'Zilla would be the power champion. Maybe not by a huge difference, but it would definitely be clear. The chassis and handling might be outdated, but the two-stroke will still do it. It's the same as comparing a CR500 to a CRF450. When we start talking about modding these motors, the two stroke will produce more for less money, and still be more reliable. It doesn't take much to get a new four-stroke to the time-bomb stage, and that's because they're already tweaked to near peak potential to still be reliable. Most of the two-strokes have a long way to go before they reach that point. A perfect example is a Banshee. Stock, the Banshee puts out 38HP. Ask any reputable engine builder and they will give you at least double that, and you'll still be able to ride that thing every weekend with minimal work. Try doubling a 450R or YFZ's horsepower and you're going to have a moneypit in terms of cost to build and maintenence.

Very well said! I couldn't have put it better.

John Noftsinger
03-19-2010, 05:43 PM
the banshee was 30-32 hps stock and you can get 60 -64 doubled and you can also get (60hps out a stock bore&crank) with a 450 and have way better handling than that shee!

Rich250RRacer
03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
the banshee was 30-32 hps stock and you can get 60 -64 doubled and you can also get (60hps out a stock bore&crank) with a 450 and have way better handling than that shee!

And you'll have a 450 that won't live very long. Truth is, that's about the max you'll see out of a 450 motor. You're just scratching the surface with a 70hp Banshee. And a Banshee is 38hp out of the crate.

CJM
03-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Zilla is a powerhouse, you can beat that 2 stroke powerband no matter how hard you try-even a worked motor imho cant touch them.

Buddy of mine had a CR250 w/a big bore (like 300cc maybe, had a new jug on it) and that thing was so powerful I couldnt even keep up with my 400ex, I have 18's on 8;s in the rear and had a nice true dual exhaust-i couldnt keep up he outgunned me at every corner.

IcutMetl
03-19-2010, 08:23 PM
I've rode a YZF450R, an RMX250, and a CR250; all were comparable in the butt dyno, with the YZF having more "chug" down low. I felt the CR was the wildest of the three. I can only imagine riding a CR/KX500; you can't tell me there's any serious comparison between a well tuned 2 stroke and 4 stroke of the same displacement. Years ago, when I had the 400ex, we went riding with a guy that had an older CR500; it was in the woods, and he only needed 2 blips of the throttle in first gear to make it up any hill he pointed it at...it was completely nutty!

03-19-2010, 08:32 PM
With some bolt-on non-ported cheetah cub cylinders on a 4mil bottom end, a banshee can easily pull 80hp. And be RELIABLE. When they're tuned right, an 80hp cheetah will outlast a built 60hp 450 BY FAR.

And banshee's can be made to handle better. Stock suspension isn't the only suspension available. Plus im more comfortable on my banshee then I am on a 450.

IcutMetl
03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Heck yea...I like my 250R a lot better all-around, but my buddy's piped Banshee is still one of the "funnest" 4-wheelers I've ridden yet. The 'zilla is a beast too; gobs of torque on a stock motor- I can only imagine what one would be like if someone dipped into some porting, compression, carb, and pipe work.