PDA

View Full Version : smells like burnt oil after oil change

Chipotle
03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I asked about white smoke in a previous thread.
It looks like a mix between white and blue but now it smells like burnt oil.
I never had this smell before I did my oil change.
I double checked that the filter was in the correct way (rubber ring facing out)
The spring is in place and the seal was replaced as well.
I used an OEM filter and Royal Purple 10w-40 Full synthetic oil.
The Honda shop here in town told me to use 10w-40 so I hope that is correct.
I am not sure what I need to do now.

If I continue to ride it am I looking at major issues?
I do want to put in a 426 11:1 so should I order it soon?

Any advice would be great.

slightlybent47
03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
First thing I see is the oil. Don’t use synthetic oil. It’s good for the motor but bad for the clutch.
Second pull the plug and see it is oily or wet looking.

aDviSol2y
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Ya you need an oil made for wet clutches. I know its spendy but try using HP4 with the red cap for an oil change. also check the plug like slightlybent said. then run it and see what happens.

JOHNDOE83
03-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Honestly, I use regular 10w30 motor oil, penzoil or whatever I happen to buy, and my clutch has lasted over 3 years with heavy, heavy use.

My friends 250x did the same thing we took the "whole" motor apart cleaned everything and the only thing we found was a bad exhaust valve and seal, it smoked like a chimney and smelt like burnt oil.

After that we put it back together and he rode it for a whole month, before he ordered a used cylinder head from ebay, he put it on and no more smoke.

That was his problem, yours sounds the same but it could be diffrent, check it out before buying the parts.

Chipotle
03-11-2010, 05:46 AM
I pulled the plug and it was dry but white around electrode and black around the threads.

HP4 oil... that's what i use in my cr tranny.
That's. 80e-85 oil. Isn't that a bit heavy for a oil change?

trailrider894
03-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Honestly if you guys think about it... a $20 Dollar Oil Change could change whether your bike lasts a year or a month... research for the right oil and buy the expensive stuff... i have 2000 400ex still running stock clutch and everything and has 100's and 100's of hours on it and it is still running as strong as the day i bought it. All because i took care of and used THE RIGHT KIND OF OIL!!!

aDviSol2y
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Chipotle
I pulled the plug and it was dry but white around electrode and black around the threads.

HP4 oil... that's what i use in my cr tranny.
That's. 80e-85 oil. Isn't that a bit heavy for a oil change?

Well there are dif types of HP4. Get the stuff in the gold bottle with red cap. Its made for the bike. And trailrider is right, I have always used HP4 and I have never had any issues with smoking, my clutch, or anything. The way I see it, always use the same oil that you used on break in, and typically, the Hondas come with honda oil.

Chipotle
03-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys.
I did not go cheap with this change. RP is $12 a quart.
My plan was to use it this one weekend as a clean out and then switch up to Amsoil. I will swing by the Honda shop today and do another oil change. I just happen to have a new k&n sitting at home. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

slightlybent47
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Wow if I changed my oil with the high end stuff I would go broke.
I change it after every weekend and at $20.00 a pop that’s $1040.00 a year, just to change the oil. You could rebuild the motor every year for that price.
If you want to get the maximum out of your oil then the good stuff is worth it. But if your like me and change it more often then a cheaper oil is best, and here is why.
An ex only holds 2-3 quarts depending if you have an extra capacity oil tank or large oil cooler. Unlike the water cooled motor the oil in the ex has to both lube and cool the motor. And with such a small amount of oil it will not last very long before it starts to break down.
You can use cheaper oil but you have to change it more often, and since I change mine so often I use cheaper oil. The key is to keep clean fresh oil in it at all times, no mater what brand you use.
When it comes to oil changes there are so many opinions.
I use Valvoline premium conventional SAE 10W-40, and that’s what my engine builder recommended.

Using a high dollar oil to flush the system is a waste of money if you ask me. if you want to flush the system a cheap oil would be best. After all your not going to leave it in there very long anyway.

If your plug is dry then you cant be burning very much oil and you rings are probably fine.
Could it be you’re over saturating you air filter and it sucking some oil out of the air filter?

Bottom line is to keep fresh oil in it, what ever oil you use.

Chipotle
03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
No I don't oil my filter.
I am using a dry flow filter.

slightlybent47
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Ok just checking, I’ve seen that happen so I was just makin sure.

At this point I’d say ride it some and see if it gets worse or not.

It could be the rings or the valves not seating properly.

If you plan on rebuilding it anyway then just ride it till your ready to do the rebuild.
How many hours are on it now?

Sorry I got to make a run so I’ll be back later.

aDviSol2y
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I change my oils every 2 rides/weekends and I still use HP4. I figure don't fix whats not broken right.

Chipotle
03-11-2010, 11:46 AM
It probably has about 40 hours on it. It has sat idle on the trailer most of its life.

Say I did burn a ring and oil is burning, if I continue to ride it what's the worst that can happen?

slightlybent47
03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Most likely you would scar the cylinder. But if you’re going to bore it out then chances are you can remove the scaring when it’s bored. But it can do enough damage that you would have to replace the cylinder. The piston will be replaced anyway so you cant count that as damage, same with all the parts that you would replace in a rebuild. Worst case you could seize it up and have a catastrophic frailer.

At this point a rebuild may show that only the rings or valves need replacing and you can get away with a much cheaper rebuild.

It really depends on what you intend on doing with the bike, if you just want to ride it every now and then, you might consider just leaving it the way it is. But if you are going to ride the crap out of it or race it then I would consider at least pulling the head and see if there is any thing going on inside.

aDviSol2y
03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Don't just ignore it!!!!!!!!!! Tear it down. The worst that could happen is you learn something.

Chipotle
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I will but don't have the time before this weekend.
If I am going to tear it down its going back together with new parts