PDA

View Full Version : How to: Plastic repair(very cool)

Atlanta
03-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok I learned this when I played Paintball for year in the PSP.

We did this with masks all the time,they are the same as any ATV plastic and I have done this with smaller ATV plastic parts.

First you will need a tub large enough to hold your plastic in.

It needs to be above a heating element.I used a heater for a turkey fryer.

You will need 3-4 paks of Rit clothing dye.

Get the water hot with the dye mixed in,Not boiling or anyting crazy.

Put you CLEAN plastic in the dye bath and let it sit for an hour,the longer the better.

You can change the color darker,you cant go from black to white,but you can make white,pink,green etc.

I did red to black,it came out with no shine but very smooth and clean,did not chip.

I did this on a set of full bore ltz 400 plastics that where red,they had some sun fading and I wanted to change the color.

I did not want to spend another $800 so i tried the trick I learned in paintball and it was great.

The hot water will allow the dye to get in the pourse of the plastic and get a deep clean color.
You can brighten up those faded hard to find plastics for cheap.

I will be doing this next week on my ATC 200x that I just bought through craigslist.

I do not have it here yet,paid PP so when its here I will do the picture part from before and after.

Hope this helps you save some money and clean up your ride.

jcs003
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
before and after pics???

Atlanta
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
I did not take any pictures of the last ones I did.

I do have them for a paintball mask which is very similar if you want that,sorry.

2003440bigbore
08-18-2010, 08:36 AM
around my area in Pa I don't think I can find a metal tub big enough to submerge the entire rear plastics off my 400EX. good Idea for sure though.