PDA

View Full Version : i need help with my 02 400ex

jesse350x
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
i am in need of help.i just recently bought a 02 400ex.the guy i bought it from said it needed valves installed.i put new valves,timing chain.1st its getting spark,2nd its getting gas,3rd the timing is set by the manual.it has a 440 big bore kit on it.it fires and runs for a second when its jumped off.it wont start by the electric start.when i had it apart i checked everything.the valves,timing,the piston and cylinder,have no scratches or gouges in it.any help will be really helpfull.:confused:

aDviSol2y
03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Sounds electrical to me.

jesse350x
03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
well all the wiring has been checked,the fuse,it has a good ground,the battery is new.i have checked the wires and i have not found any shorts.:confused:

Kentang4
03-13-2010, 07:09 AM
That's a tough one. From what you've said, everything is fine and it should run. What you need to do is start eliminating things...Plugs can sometimes look fine sparking outside of the cylinder at standard atmoshperic pressure yet not perform when installed and subjected to the higher pressure in the cylinder. Two strokes are notorious for this, not so much with 4 strokes but it's worth putting in a new one just to check it off the list. Next I would try a very small shot of starter fluid. Just a whiff, you don't want to use more than necessary. See if the motor fires when you do this. Don't keep it running on the starter fluid, you just want to eliminate spark as an issue and if it pops or tries to run you've accomplished that. If it does try to run then you are dealing with either lack of fuel or timing issues. Next I would pull the plug and dry it off well. Put it back in and then try cranking it with the plug wire off and the choke on for a few seconds. Now pull the plug out and see if it's wet. It should be. If it is, now you've gotten rid of the fuel issue and you are back to timing, double and triple check everything, just a tooth off one way or the other and it won't want to start of run well. I've seen several marks on 400's that can be confusing so go slow and follow instructions from a manuel. Hope this helps, good luck.

jesse350x
03-14-2010, 02:06 PM
i found out its 180 degrees out of timing,the manual shows how to set it,but it does not work.it says put lobes facing down,make sure its a tdc and make sure the 2 lines are level with the head and the 3rd straight up.:confused:

Kentang4
03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, you have to make sure the "t" mark on the flywheel is matched with the mark on the case (sets Top Dead Center), then place the marks on the cam sproket parallel to the gasket surface on the head with the lobes facing down on the cam. That should be it. Having it 180 out of time certainly explains it not running. Good luck.

jesse350x
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
i cant find the timing mark.is it on the left or right side,is it near the clutch or the stator ?:blah:

webbnaste
03-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Its on the left side. You will see two caps, one in the center and one to it's upper left. Take both off with allen keys, then use a 17mm socket on the middle one to turn the crank. Make sure you go counterclockwise, while turning the crank look in the smaller hole and watch for the "T" to come by on the wheel. Match it up to the > mark and thats top dead center. once your there, put the lobes down and make sure the timing sprockets lines are flat with the engine and you should be timed.

jesse350x
03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
ok i will try that,thanks