PDA

View Full Version : Shock questions

axellmusic19
03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Being that I am a lightweight rider around 140-150, The front shocks seem very stiff even at the softest preload and have poor characteristics of rebound and compression. However, I am VERY happy with the stock rear shock and its adjustments and how well that handles the bumps. I may be crazy but could someone tell me the dimensions of the two shocks and whether or not a set or rear lt250r shocks could be mounted up front. Otherwise, where could I get a different spring kit that would sit lower and allow me to actually adjust the given preload? Thanks

corcope
03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
the fronts are 15.25" if its a 87+ and like 13" if its a 85/6... and no literaly NO other shocks will fit(def not the rear, i measured at one point and it wasnt close), suzuki screwed everyone with theyre odd ball shock length. EVERY other race quad from the 80s to now comes with 16.5" front shocks.

You can buy a "lowering" kit, and if you put the 16.5" shocks in that you could run them and be at normal ride height. even if you buy + a arms they dont change the shock travle since no company ever botherd to make long travle arms for the zuk... like they did for hondas 250r.... Other than that your only other option is buying after market shocks made specificly for the lt250r OR cutting and re welding your a arm shock mounts.

axellmusic19
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I saw the lowering kit idea but they didn't look durable in the least... especially for jumping. I am thinking of buying OEM replacement front shocks and cutting the springs as an experiment. Bad idea? I figure the $50 would be worth a shot over $500+

axellmusic19
03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Also, will the 85-86 fronts fit the 87+ quad? Being that they are shorter that could help in a way as long as they had clearance.

axellmusic19
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Sorry to ask so many questions but I saw that the yfz450 shocks in front are stock 15.75". Has anyone else tried this before and are they any good/worth the money? Thanks

weld_13
03-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
Also, will the 85-86 fronts fit the 87+ quad? Being that they are shorter that could help in a way as long as they had clearance. In theory they would with some spacers because the eyes of the shock bodies on the 85/86 shocks are narrower but that's a bad idea, it would lower your quad too much and the travel on 85/86 shocks just plain sucks

thumpers4ever
03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
Sorry to ask so many questions but I saw that the yfz450 shocks in front are stock 15.75". Has anyone else tried this before and are they any good/worth the money? Thanks

I have seen were some have used yfz shocks but some mods need to happen. I think you have to grind down the bottom eye of the shock to fit in the a-arm. not sure if anything has to be done with the top. you just want to make sure that what ever shock u use doesn't bind the ball joints. I have seen 400ex/450r shocks used too but don't know what needs to be done to fit.

corcope
03-15-2010, 03:57 PM
i saw it posted somewhere on here that the yfz shocks are only 15.75".... im not sure how true that is, i measured up my brothers 06 yfz shocks and they were over 16"+. No matter what shock you use other than the LT shock it will be too long if you dont moddify the mount points somehow. Ive heard it will bind or break the ball joints but im not sure if thats just people being over careful..... i used 400ex shocks with my +3 a arms for over a year and my ball joints are still fine. Im now running a "lowering" brace, with 16.75" fox shocks which sets it at the normal ride height, i race XC with it and havent ever had a problem. You would have to SERIOUSLY bottom the quad out really hard to crack them, im thinkin like off a 80+ ft jump or somthing... and i dont think many people are jumping these old things that far lol.

If you want to lower a 87+ for flat track or whatever buying a set of old beat 85/86 shocks would be fine since if your lowering the quad id hope your riding on somthing smooth anyway. the only issue is that your tie rods will be too short depending how low it goes.

corcope
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
also any of you guys who are into lt250r's check out quadracerhq.com if you havent already. Its dedicated to QRs and the forum is really helpfull...... tons of guys who know alot about them and everyones pretty cool, plus they have a nice forsale section you can actually find parts.