PDA

View Full Version : How to make a custom adjustable a arms

Atlanta
03-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Ok I do not have pictures yet but I will within a few days.

I have done this a few times for some friends.

What I have done with the 300ex with 450r a arms for an example.

I remove the lower a arm shock mounting perch and bar.

Then I take hollow round bar stock( I forget the wall) and drill a hole large enough for it to cut the bar.

This gives me a round end to weld to the round a arm.

I did this to reuse the factory shock,you can do it to use whatever shock you want.

Once that is done I cut the mounting ends that attach the arm to the frame.
I weld in a threaded cap so I can then attach a himes joint or (rod end)

This allows me to adjust camber and toe.

It is not intended to lengthen the a arm any more but for handling.

Then its off to be Powder coated.

They look very clean when done.

I spent $45 on my Himes joints,Sleeves/Spacers locking nuts.

My guy who does the Powder work does all final clean up,blasting etc then color for $50

The set of 450r arms I have coming ran me $65 shipped.

So for $160 and my time I have a very clean nice arm,that is not really that different then the $400-$600 set I see for sale.

If you do not know how to weld then I do not recommend you attempting this.

quadup
05-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Hi, this is more of a question than a reply, but would this method work for a Yamaha YFM90RY, it is an 09 so it has the a-arm suspension in the front but I need to widen it, as he uses it for racing, so he can have better handling on the track. I also want to widen the rear (can not find a-arms, or swing arm anywhere just to buy so I am going to have to do a custom job), yes I can weld, that is part of my profession.
Do you have any suggestions as to how to go about widening a 90cc?
I also wondered if you know anything about the exhaust on this size bike. It is rated with California emisssions ratings so it restricted quite a bit. (We live in West Virginia) Any suggestions?
I also was wondering if you might know anything about increasing the CDI box to a high performance CDI box for this quad?
Thanks for the info you have posted it is helpful but just wondered if you had any suggestions when it comes to changing a 90cc versus the larger quads.
Thanks for any info you can provide me with, it is appreciated.
:) email- scottjeannette36@yahoo.com Thanks this is the first time I have posted on here so this is all new to me as to receiving the replies. Again, thanks.

tripsover88
10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
i thinh the a arms off a 300ex fit the 90s but im not sure. youll have to look it up. or just get whell spacers as they are the cheapiest thing to make it wider.

yellow416ex
12-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Do you have any pictures of these arms yet? I'm really interested to see how they turned out

jcs003
01-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by yellow416ex
Do you have any pictures of these arms yet? I'm really interested to see how they turned out

x2.