PDA

View Full Version : painting rims

yellowhonda400
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
so what primer should i use to paint my rims. im using a gloss black for the normal paint. just need some suggestions

eastcoastpro20
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
etching primer

eastcoastpro20
03-10-2010, 11:21 AM
ur gna need alotta clear coat on em too

yellowhonda400
03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
i was told not to use clear coat and where can i find etching primer? also did you guys scuf up the rims at all before painting?

Scro
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
You're wasting your time, in my opinion. They will look like crap after the first ride, no matter how much prep time you spend. Even powercoat starts to chip after a couple rides.

yellowzo3
03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Scro
You're wasting your time, in my opinion. They will look like crap after the first ride, no matter how much prep time you spend. Even powercoat starts to chip after a couple rides.

Yeah Scro's right... I spray painted my bumper VERY well with mutiple coats of primer and paint (prepped it well too) and it held up okay for a couple rides but once it starts chipping it'll spread like wildfire.

I had my wheels powdercoated and it held up great and cleaned up nice too... Powdercoat is the only way to go for wheels imo. If you spray paint them you'll be doing them again in a couple months and hate yourself for not getting them coated from the start :p

SRH
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
thats not true, grab some good quality spray paint, flat black or semi flat and put a decent coat on...forget the primer just clean the surface good, paint them and run it, it will chip and what not faster than powdercoat but you can retouch them anytime , ive used it on some beater quads and it lasts fine

tt racer
03-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Polish your parts!

eastcoastpro20
03-10-2010, 09:29 PM
u can get the etching primer at a auto body paint store. to get good adhesion u need to sand the factory clear coat off then prime. The paint WILL stick, my frame is painted and aint chipped yet. but i agree with ttracer, sand the clear coat off with 180 grit then go back with 320 then 400 then take a cuttin wheel (polishin pad) to them and theyll look like chrome, thats what i did.

KXRida
03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Pick yourself up a do it yourself PCing kit and a cheap oven. I'll never spray paint again.

mxpimp2000
03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
paint all my rims with krylon semi gloss black and leave my beadlock rings polished or pc them and my rims stay great all year i just rode on freshly painted rims saturday and not a scratch 1. i scuff them up with 80 grit and paint em 4-5 times and slap em on

eastcoastpro20
03-11-2010, 08:33 AM
paint WILL hold jus as good as powder coat, its all in the prep work. My dad does custom paontwork ive been around it my whole life.

KXRida
03-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I've done great prep work with paint products and still have had mixed results. For areas that don't seen any wear (perches, reservoir caps, etc) paint seems to work fine, but any high wear item and paint doesn't seem to hold. The first chip you get it all starts to flake off after that. Now that I have access to PCing, I'll never do anything else. Fast, cheap, great results, and it holds up great.

Scro
03-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by eastcoastpro20
paint WILL hold jus as good as powder coat, its all in the prep work. My dad does custom paontwork ive been around it my whole life.

We're talking about rims here. Nothing is going to hold up on the edges of a rim riding anything other than sand. And even then it would probably be sandblasted off over time.

erik420
03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
A buddy of mine uses spray on truck bed liner coating on his rims. They seem to be holding up fine. I'm thinking of doing my rims, nerfs, and bumper.

mxpimp2000
03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
id never pc my rims unless it was beadlocks. because when they get a chip or scratch i can sand that spot down and spray over it and BAM new rims. lol if u pc them then they chip up u cant touch it up cuz pc is soo thick ud see where u touched it up. and takin the tires off then sand blast and pc is expensive unless u got all the tools to pc it urself. if i had a sand blast cabnet and a pc gun with oven id pc my stuff but i dont i have to pay someone to do it.

Pappy
03-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I have the equipment and you dont see our stuff coated:p

I could use an Epoxy pc that may hold up better but in the end, on parts that see metal displacement (the missing chunks you see in nerfs and rim lips) I try to avoid putting any coating on that type of part.

If its a non beadlock then i'd cheap out and rattle can it if thats the look your after. If its a TT or Drag bike then pc will hold an advantage over 99% of the paints on the market. Emron would be my go to liquid, anything else is wasted money unless you find an industrial enamel.

If I want a black rim I will install Hipers and be done with it.....but I do like the black pc'd beadlocks with a polish ring look.

fastredrider44
03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

If I want a black rim I will install Hipers and be done with it.....but I do like the black pc'd beadlocks with a polish ring look.

:cool:

eastcoastpro20
03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
i know what were talkin about and i know what im talking about when i say it can hold

Originally posted by Scro
We're talking about rims here. Nothing is going to hold up on the edges of a rim riding anything other than sand. And even then it would probably be sandblasted off over time.