PDA

View Full Version : Problems with axle locknut...

SHIFTx450
03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
It's an aftermarket locknut, not sure what kind, looks similar to the durablue one. It won't stay tight.. I think it's because by the time I have it tight, it's only grabbing the threads by like 5 threads. I've heard talk of maybe needing a spacer? Can anyone tell me what kind of spacer I'd need and where to obtain it? Or possibly another solution to this?

TJ Bradley
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Ive got a Lonestar antifade on mine and no matter how tight i tighten it it WILL NOT stay tight. I just tighten it real good then electrical tape over it and the axle. It stays put then with no problems.

SHIFTx450
03-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Any ideas on this "spacer" ?

TJ Bradley
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
we tried it on mine just cause someone recommended it as a fix. But it still came loose. Maybe someone else has had better luck with it but the tapes the only thing i've found so far. Besides replacing it. And just for the info, I;ve got the same LSR antifade on my practice bike and it never comes loose. ??? beats me.

SHIFTx450
03-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I just ordered a new durablue locknut. I was looking at the one I have on the bike, and the material around the set screw is cracked. Could be the cause of it coming loose. But there's still only a few threads grabbing, so maybe I'll cut about an inch or so from the old threaded collar and use it as a spacer... I'll let you know how it works! If it still comes loose, I'll get it good and tape it as well!

TJ Bradley
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
yea i felt like i was "rigging" my wheeler when i first started tapin the lock nut, but then i started paying attention to everyone elses at the races and i was suprised at how many other ppl taped theres to. So i tape both of mine now no matter what. Better safe than sorry. Id rather finish a race with some electrical tape on my axle than sit on the side of the track with a broke down bike. . or worse. Good luck man.

eastcoastpro20
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
put electric tape around it

SHIFTx450
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the input fellas!