PDA

View Full Version : pred 500 dogs out

bigbad400
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
so it will start and idle just fine, the thing is beat on a little so its a project for a friend, it needs an airfilter and exhaust, the pipe has all the guts out of it and it sucks, second there is no air filter on it.

would no filter or restrictions in the pipe make it dog when you get on the gas?

its bone stock and sat for over a year. i drained gas and cleaned the carb. the battery is junk i have to jump it off my van.

mainly im trying to figure out why she wont run right.

you can ride it but it acts like there is a rev limiter at 1/2 throttle. it will not pull itself up to speed. it has maybe 20 hrs on the motor.

it was baught new in 06 and only rode a few times till it sat and was sold to my friend. it was kept inside.

bigbad400
03-10-2010, 07:16 AM
oh and the reason there is no filter is because we live forever away from a dealer. i figure it should only make it a little lean thow.

back pressure is whats got me thinking its the pipe and lack of filter.

it will have a new pipe and filter soon but we would like to see it run good befor we spend a bunch of money on a pipe. the filter is on the way

maybe i could get one of you to run out and take your filter off and see how yours responds?

would it be the spark plug? its such a ***** to get out i havent even looked at it yet.

rooster300ex
03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
I would change the plug. I would check the wiring too.

birdman7389
03-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
I would change the plug. I would check the wiring too.

The wiring would not worry me. Fresh gas and plug, clean carb, and i would guess that it would run fine. Put a fully charged battery in there too, electronics are picky about voltage.

katch26
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
its just like anything else, youve gutted the pipe making it move air out faster and are running without an air filter meaning air is rushing in faster ( plus junk and what not). By increasing air speed in and exhaust speed out youve leaned it out, you need to jet it or its always gonna **** the bed on the main jet. JMO

rooster300ex
03-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by birdman7389
The wiring would not worry me. Fresh gas and plug, clean carb, and i would guess that it would run fine. Put a fully charged battery in there too, electronics are picky about voltage.
Jetting problem then.

rundrave
03-11-2010, 07:21 AM
I may be wrong on this, but dont you have to maintain a certain amount of vacuum for the carb to operate right.Thus making it necessary to run an air filter

It takes resistance on the filter side of the carb to pull the slide up, not sure EXACTLY how it works but from what I can gather it has to do with velocity through the carb that pulls the vacuum to operate the slide.

bchessel
03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
iv started and ran mine for a short time without a filter , and ive started it without the back section of the pipe jus to see how bad it would sound lol.. so at the verry least it should start and run ... i wouldent exspect to win races or do it for a long time though.

bchessel
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
so i guess it was owned by a grandma who kept it in the garage and only used it on Sunday for Church. lol it a 06 with 20 hrs .. i got a TV ill sell you ..... JK i think you got lots to fix