PDA

View Full Version : would this work? (oil change)

Holty
11-26-2001, 02:32 PM
I read on here somewhere someone said after draining the oil, and changing the filter, you can only add 1.75 quarts of oil into the resevoir or it will over fill. Start your motor to let the oil circulate into the crankcase and then add the remaining .25 quarts of oil. Would this work instead?: add the 1.75 quarts of oil into the resevoir, then turn the kill switch off, hit the starter button and let the starter turn the engine over circulating the oil into the crankcase, then adding the remaining .25 quarts of oil. Would this work ok? What i'm asking is, isn't this better than starting your motor with low oil level? The starter turns the crank thus circulating the oil from the rez into the crankcase right? any thoughts?

Guy400
11-26-2001, 03:13 PM
Being a 1/4 quart low isn't that big of a deal cause you're only running it for less than a minute to get the oil pumping. Turning the motor over without it lighting is still causing friction on all moving parts so nothing is really being accomplished. You're also putting excessive load on the starter (running it for a prolonged period of time).

papaw
11-26-2001, 04:04 PM
i agree with guy,plus your head has oil pockets in them,meaning when you do an oil change you do not drain this oil out therefore you will have lubricant up top unless you tear your motor down.