PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450 Kickstart Lever

Theguy105
03-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I got the yz250 lever on my bike and it doesnt lock in all the way cause it hits the pipe and its starting to get on my nerves. Is there a way to push the lever out with some sort of extender like they used to make for the ol' hybrids.

mxpimp2000
03-10-2010, 04:09 PM
mine hits my header i have a sparks full system. i was hitting really bad then i loosen up my header and adjusted it up and down until it come a lil closer inside the frame but it didnt fully clear my lever so i marked where it was hitting the pipe and took a dremel with a grindin bit and shaved out a spot. it still hits but it comes within 1/8 of fully being closed. since it does click when i close it i know it wont fly open while riding.

you can also move it foward or backward on the splines. i moved mine as far foward as possible and it barley clears my clutch cover but i like it :D

standardryder
03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Gibson makes a kickstart extension that uses a yz250 lever, Im not sure if itll fit the yfz though. K&K sells it but its a little pricey.

mxpimp2000
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
Gibson makes a kickstart extension that uses a yz250 lever, Im not sure if itll fit the yfz though. K&K sells it but its a little pricey.

its for a hybrid. BTW it sticks out really far and would prob look goofy JMO

maxamillion
03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
i too have the sparks system with the yz250 lever and just had to grind a big notch out of the lever using a carbide bit. seemed like the only logical thing to do. if ur using the stock header it clears just fine tho.

mxpimp2000
03-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
i too have the sparks system with the yz250 lever and just had to grind a big notch out of the lever using a carbide bit. seemed like the only logical thing to do. if ur using the stock header it clears just fine tho.

be careful and dont grind alot and make sure u round it out not a square cut ive seen ppl break their levers modding them

Theguy105
03-11-2010, 02:36 PM
i already grinded it down and still hits.. Damn lowered subframe and yoshi rs-7 exhaust.. im gunna swap out the lil spring in their for something stiffer so it takes a little more force to pull the lever out.

mxpimp2000
03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Theguy105
i already grinded it down and still hits.. Damn lowered subframe and yoshi rs-7 exhaust.. im gunna swap out the lil spring in their for something stiffer so it takes a little more force to pull the lever out.

get u a 1/8 thick washer and put it onto the shaft then slide ur lever on that will space it out enough im sure. just use a 1/8 longer bolt it wont come loose or come off

standardryder
03-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I designed a new kicker a few weeks ago at work that uses a yz250 boss, Ill change up the design to make sure that it clears all exhausts. When work slows down a bit Ill make a few prototypes out of low carbon and hand em out and see what everyone thinks.

mxpimp2000
03-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by standardryder
I designed a new kicker a few weeks ago at work that uses a yz250 boss, Ill change up the design to make sure that it clears all exhausts. When work slows down a bit Ill make a few prototypes out of low carbon and hand em out and see what everyone thinks.

ill take one if its FREE:D :D

250x_kyle
03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
ill take one if its FREE:D :D

times two even if i had to pay shipping lol.

mxpimp2000
03-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
times two even if i had to pay shipping lol.

x2

nicker71
03-17-2010, 07:07 AM
im running a yf250 lever on my yfz as well. It rubs my HMF header some but really hasnt bothered me to much. My battery failed on me on my last race and I couldnt hardly kick it over with the short lever. I cost me a podium spot so now Im in the working of a 24v starting sytem using a lithium battery as my 2nd battery due to its super small size.

But its getting harder to find a 98 yz 250 lever and if you could make a replacement that would clear the header I beleive there would be a market for it. Ive seen tracie cecco bike and it had a gytr lever that was cut down and rewelded to clear the fender. post some pics when your done. I may be interested because mine starting to crack again.

rnd660
03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
ive snapped a yz450f lever once already, got a secpond one, then looked for a yz250 lever, while looking i called around and found that the 96-98 levers are the same, and possibly even the 99-01, but that im not sure about. i bought a 96 lever on ebay for $50. Havent shaved it yet but it's in the works, with the yz450f lever i removed the retainer ball and spring and put a zip tie in my frame to hook it to, that way it stayed clear of the exhaust and didnt swing out