PDA

View Full Version : Airbox/ Battery box mod?

hwf-racing
03-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Ok, where do I start. Those of us who work on the carb find out how much of a pain the air/battery box is. I modified my air box lid by attaching an outerwear to the lid so I am happy how it works. My question is I want to seperate the airbox from the battery box ,this way the wiring harness won't be a problem and accessibility to the carb will be so much quicker. My thinking was to seperate the airbox from the battery box and bracket both ends at the seperation. I also know that they share part of the box. However, could be closed off with an aluminum plate. This is where you come in. any better ideas please share. I def dont want the aftermarket alum box yet, still a trail bike for my son. Thanks, Derek

hwf-racing
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Bump, I know some of you MX guys like Quadjunkies and Whillhoit have modify your air box . What did you do? I heard about cutting the back out of the airbox but where does the battery box go? Dont be shy:D

leager-n-ky
03-21-2010, 07:02 AM
We have the aftermkt alum box. But i think your idea would work. The air box stays where it is, and the battery box stays where it is. They are just sepereated. The batt box will get to use the bolts to hold it in place, the air box you will have to fab something up, or zip tie to the frame rails. I would try to wrap an aluminum strap of some sort around the batt box, and make sure it cant go anywhere. Maybe like a horseshoe shape, then mount to the frame on each side?????

hwf-racing
03-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes I think that would work just have to jump into full force. The only problem I see would be the little bit of space needed to pull the airbox out to service the carb, maybe have to shorten up air box which I dont like but maybe the only way it will work. Does the alum airbox give you the option of seperating. So you can access the carb. Thanks ,Derek.

leager-n-ky
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes, the aluminum box is actually two seperate boxes.

john willhoite
03-22-2010, 07:43 AM
here is what mine looks like.

QuadJunkies
03-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by hwf-racing
Bump, I know some of you MX guys like Quadjunkies and Whillhoit have modify your air box . What did you do? I heard about cutting the back out of the airbox but where does the battery box go? Dont be shy:D
We didnt modify ours actually so not much help to ya on this one !
Good luck though!
It would be nice if the battery could be relocated all together.
We ride in too many wet elements to not have a full box of some kind .

john willhoite
03-22-2010, 11:10 AM
weve ridden ours in some muddy conditions and I am supprised how clean it stays.

However, I can see where water could give you trouble.

hwf-racing
03-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks, have some good ideas. Derek

Adams granddad
03-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Here's what we've done: -

Cut the box in half through the area where the CDI unit normally sits, re-locate the CDI unit behind the battery in the pocket where the rear light was, zip tie around the CDI so it doesn't bounce out. The air box remains complete and slips in easy. Keep the air box lid, seal off the intake and use it every time you jet wash. Simple!!

Adams granddad
03-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Easy access!

Adams granddad
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Plastics in place

hwf-racing
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Thankyou, thats what I was thinking but with your pictures is so clear to understand!!! Thanks again. Derek