PDA

View Full Version : drown my quad out

Jake250ex
03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
title says it all. it was running then I went in a creek that was too deep and sucked a bunch of water in it. It hydro locked. I drained the oil, put a new spark plug in, new gas... Its got spark, getting fuel, and has great compression... Im about out of ideas. It still wont start. The bad thing is its got a rekluse so I cant pull start it. Any ideas?

Baileygunns
03-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Check your valves and see if you bent one or more... You might still have water/condensation inside of the carb and head

quader400
03-09-2010, 11:04 PM
i did that same thing, changed my oil at least 6 times before i got all the water out, and i think i still wound up have to pull start it. good luck

Jake250ex
03-10-2010, 09:41 AM
flushed the motor with diesel fuel, and cleaned the carb out. Now im not getting any spark?

SHIFTx450
03-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I fell through ice into 7 feet of water Winter of 08. Here's the recipe:

Stand it on end, let it drain.
take your carb off and apart, clean it. take your spark plug out, hit the starter for a second or two.
Watch the water shoot out.
reinstall spark plug.
clean and dry your air filter. get new one if necessary.
Change your oil.
put it all back together.
start it!
let it warm up.
shut it off.
change the oil.
repeat 6X.
enjoy!

SHIFTx450
03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
lol still makes me giggle

SHIFTx450
03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
some more notes regarding oil change:

dont forget to change both sides!
buy some cheap oil just to flush it out. when you're positive there's no more water in either side of your motor, then do a final oil change with your preferred "good" oil

it's kind of a pain, but it's worth it! took me 6 hours, from fall through ice, to finish.. and I was back up and rippin again!