PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Radiator Fan

nwi45
03-09-2010, 03:54 AM
Could anyone tell me how to wire the cooling fan on the radiator so that it is running whenever the engine is running?

Also, off topic but I have asked before without a repsonse - where can you find mud caps for the ITP beadlocks that come stock on the DS? I have a set of mud caps that fit fine in my DWT wheels but don't seem to fit in the ITP?

ds450xracer
03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
how much do you want for the mud caps that you already have

nate450x
03-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I wired my fan up using a toggle switch so i know if it is on or off at all times. What i did was find the connection (plug) where the fan connects to the wiring harness and cut the HOT wire on the harness side. The plug should be located directly in front of your handle bars under your relays. To find the HOT wire i simply pulled the temp. sensor wires on the right hand side of the motor (it should be a green plug) turned the key on and let the fan kick on. Take a test light and see which wire lights it up (on mine i believe the wire was brown with a white stripe). That is your HOT wire.

Cut that wire like i said on the harness side of the plug. Make sure you have enough length to use a connector to run your new wire from your switch to this wire. Tape up the wire from the harness. Run a wire from your battery (positive side) to a toggle switch and from the toggle to your wire you cut. I used waterproof connectors with heat shrink just to be certain and it is working perfectly.

I mounted my switch (which is also waterproof by the way) on the right hand side of my plastic below the hadlebars. It seemed to be the perfect place where it couldn't get hit or bumped while i was riding.

Another tip, if you want to make sure you know when you have your fan off or on you can run a small indicator light to the toggle that will light up when the fan is running and mount it directly beside the switch.

Hope this helps!! let us know what you do.

nwi45
03-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the response man I appreciate it. That will help alot. Have you notices any cooler engine temps while running the fan full time? It's worth a little piece of mind.

I'm still looking for mud caps. Anyone? I need fronts and rears for the 450xc stock wheels. Everywhere I call doesn't seem to have anything.

Mr. Big Time
03-10-2010, 12:04 PM
have you tried google to find your mud caps, or ebay?

kellymi
03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Mud Caps for the XXC rims right? On mine I just used DWT mud plugs on the rear. Don't run anything on the front.

nwi45
03-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm looking for fronts also where are peoe getting these!?

kellymi
03-10-2010, 05:08 PM
C & D Racing on here should be able to get them for you. I bought mine from them at one of my local races.

nate450x
03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by nwi45
Thanks for the response man I appreciate it. That will help alot. Have you notices any cooler engine temps while running the fan full time? It's worth a little piece of mind.

I'm still looking for mud caps. Anyone? I need fronts and rears for the 450xc stock wheels. Everywhere I call doesn't seem to have anything.

No problem I am glad it helped you out!! And yes i believe it has made a difference because before i did this my fan seemed to never kick on. I would have to ride very slow on a hot day for it to kick on and it never seemed to stay on long. And i know it was running hot way before the fan ever came on because i could feel the heat coming off the engine and it was causing my fuel to boil!!

florentino
03-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by nwi45

if you wrap your header with that hi temp tape it will help alot and seems to run better. engine ice is a must. and make sure you dont have air in your radiator. i have my control my fan from my lites swich

allbones512
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
If you send your wire harness to BCS Performance they will take off all the unnecessary wires and have it wired up so that your fan will stay on all the time and you will get a new start and teather switch.