PDA

View Full Version : rebuild mess up

coreo5
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
ok heres the deal. i bought a 400ex with 2 bent exahust valves. the cam chain tensioner went bad and jumped time and the piston smacked the two exhaust valves. anyways... tore it down and found he had the piston in backwards. so i switched it around. put in two new exhaust valves. put it all back together and started it and it smoked like no other. so i pulled the plug and oil is all over that. oil is coming out of both exhaust valves. but what could be causing this? the rings are good. the valve seals and guides are visabily good. do you think when the valves bent that it would have cracked the valve guide or even the head?

jdog75
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
my guess would be valve guides or the valve spring retainer

badboystrue
04-04-2010, 11:03 AM
did you replace the valve guide seals?

JOHNDOE83
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
they will look ok, but in reality there screwed.

we had a 250sx atc that we got for 30 bucks, tore it down to bare metal and a box of motor parts, went through every piece and found nothing wrong except for a lil burnt oil around the exhaust valve.

we cleaned it put it all back together, and still oil was getting through the valve somewhere....even tho there was "no" noticable damage.

we ordered a used head with valves from ebay put it on and no more problems, not bad for a 80 dollar three wheeler...lol.

Id bet you could replace those valve seals and have a decent ride.