PDA

View Full Version : Busted exhaust stud

CJM
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
So im an idiot and shoulda known better. I removed the exhaust and the whole stud came out. So I just put it back together and the nut was so frozen at that point I snapped the stud.

Tried removing it and broke the EZ out.

Bought some helicoils if I ever drill it out, anyone have any problems with them backing out again after they have fixed it?

eprovenzano
03-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I had the same problem. During a rebuild 3 out of the 4 the studs came out, the last broke. I tried everything, but ended up have the local machine shop drop in a helicoil. I just finished getting it all back to gether, and all seem good.

So to answer yes a helicoil is the way to go.

CJM
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I managed to thankfully not break the easy out flush so I cut off what was left with a dremel and drilled it out.

Im not sure what I hit, but I only manged to drill in about 3/4 of the way. Not exactly sure but all I know is 3 different bits and it wouldnt go any further it seemed.

Helicoils in, i figure ill trip the stud down or shim it up when I bolt it on.

lg440
03-09-2010, 05:25 PM
had the same thing happen during my winter rebuild, my stud broke off just about flush with the head, i built up some weld on the stud till i could get a nut on it and welded the nut on and with the heat from the welding it came right out. if it broke off way inside this method might not be a great idea.

CJM
03-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Finding a welder isnt easy for me so thats why I did it like this.

I am not sure why once it got past about 1/4 of an inch it wouldnt go much further despite drilling it, I mean I did try 3 bits

I just threaded in a regular nut to see how far it would go in, its going in maybe a little more than a 1/4 of an inch, the studs went in about a 1/2 inch or so maybe more.

Im sure it will hold, but before I put it back together when I get my studs from UPS-should I perhaps try and go further in?

I was gonna cut the stud down and blue loctite it in to be sure it didnt go anywhere.

OR

I can shim the stud using washers but I like the other idea better.

Oh, does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket between the exhaust header and the head, I didnt see anything but this is a used EX and it seems it wasnt taken care of as well as made out to be.

lg440
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
1/4 inch isnt much, i would want to get it out of there so you could thread the whole stud in, but im sure it will be ok for a while. and yes there is a copper o-ring gasket in between the header and the head, they are prob still there, but they tend to get smashed into the head pretty good so you cant really see them.

CJM
03-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I yanked the helicoil out and got BRAND new bits and tried to drill it-it will not go further it just makes little specks instead of shavings like its hardened metal.

Im sure it will be fine, ive repaired worse things then this that got more abuse than an exhaust stud and they havent busted yet.