PDA

View Full Version : Tree hugging idiots

ridered11
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/08/california.runaway.prius/index.html

Put it in neutral and turn it off. Simple as that. Half of these idiots don't even know what neutral is and have no business behind a wheel. I have no idea how this kind of crap makes the front page of CNN. Just pisses me off, not that I would ever buy a prius.

Canadian144
03-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I can't stand the prius or most Toyotas even.... ugh.

Exrider434
03-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/08/california.runaway.prius/index.html

Put it in neutral and turn it off. Simple as that. Half of these idiots don't even know what neutral is and have no business behind a wheel. I have no idea how this kind of crap makes the front page of CNN. Just pisses me off, not that I would ever buy a prius.

The prius's are all electric inside... meaning no key. Its a push button power on power off, as well as an electronic shifter. You simply tap the shifter in the gear you want it to go and it goes, wich it will likely not allow it to do under acceleration..

How do i know this? I work at a toyota dealership and drive these cars daily.

ridered11
03-08-2010, 11:19 PM
So you can't shift the car into neutral? Maybe this is only on the new prius models (09 and up), but I have driven one that you can shift into neutral.

Exrider434
03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
yes, you can shift into neutral, but it is not like a normal car where it will actually "click" into neutral, you simply pull the shifter to the neutral position and it shifts into it electronically..

ridered11
03-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Right, but that has nothing to do with the accelerator being stuck...?

BakerRacing40
03-09-2010, 02:32 AM
wow i didn't know they could even go that fast? :huh lol CHP should have pit maneuvered his ace into the ditch :macho :devil: lmao

Exrider434
03-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Right, but that has nothing to do with the accelerator being stuck...?
Put it in neutral and turn it off. Simple as that. Half of these idiots don't even know what neutral is and have no business behind a wheel.

This is what i was referring to, you cannot simply just put these cars into neutral

Scro
03-09-2010, 06:41 AM
This whole situation amazes me. We've been making cars for decades that don't have issues with throttles sticking. Why not just look at the designs that are tried and true, and use that as baseline? You would think something as simple as a pedal sticking (mechanically, I might add) would be an easy fix. I can see if it was electronic it would be a little more complex, but we are talking about something that you can physically see that's wrong.:huh

BlingyLTR450
03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Start building cars with kill switches ha

hondariderdylan
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
the only thing that needs to be between your foot and your engine are springs and linkages.

plus the fact that so few people can fix these electrical systems in there garage makes toyotas profits skyrocket because of authorized services for years and years because no one else knows how to work on them.

<DRS>GPF
03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
im at a loss as to how this is a "tree hugger" issue..
this affects many models of toyota and lexus cars. (http://www.toyota.com/recall/)

250x_kyle
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Scro
This whole situation amazes me. We've been making cars for decades that don't have issues with throttles sticking. Why not just look at the designs that are tried and true, and use that as baseline? You would think something as simple as a pedal sticking (mechanically, I might add) would be an easy fix. I can see if it was electronic it would be a little more complex, but we are talking about something that you can physically see that's wrong.:huh

why make something that works when you can make it for a tenth of the cost and it will still sale.

ridered11
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
<DRS>GPF if you read the article, its a particular instance involving a Prius. If you drive a Prius, you're a tree hugger in my book.

<DRS>GPF
03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Scro

now consider theyre making cars with electronic assist brakes and steering.. :huh

theyre effectively taking the possibility of do-it-yourself repairs out of the mix..

tbrackman84
03-10-2010, 04:55 PM
this whole situation is getting totally blown out of proportion. Its not toyota's fault that even government run car companies can't compete with them, i love toyota and i hope they keep kicking as much ***** as they have been

honda350r
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
The OP of this thread just has shown all his cards ..

Not to bright !

Exrider434
03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
<DRS>GPF if you read the article, its a particular instance involving a Prius. If you drive a Prius, you're a tree hugger in my book.

I don't think that at all, a guy a work with has a prius for commuting to work and a GTO and a GT500, total tree hugger right?

tbrackman84
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
^ thats true, but prius's are KINDA gay, lol. Id rather just drive honda civic and get like 40 MPG with that lol, at least you still have some balls when you drive a regular car.

Exrider434
03-10-2010, 11:54 PM
lol true, but then again the civics arent too cool either!

03-11-2010, 12:02 AM
I do not like drive by wire. Usually a delay in response and stupid **** can happen. I say go back to cable

Exrider434
03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I do not like drive by wire. Usually a delay in response and stupid **** can happen. I say go back to cable

Cannot agree with you more, I drive the newer camry's/prius's daily and i can put the pedal to the floor and back up before it responds, my cable driven car is instant.

tbrackman84
03-11-2010, 06:31 AM
yeah, my parents got a 09 camry, and it does seem delayed with throttle resonse, lol. My 92 S10 gives it hell when you hit the gas, lol