PDA

View Full Version : new link. questions

z400bs
03-08-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a new gt thunder mx link and elka fronts on my trx 450r. After all this snow I finally was able to get out to the track and set everything up. I left the back shock settings just how they were, liking how it was before i got this new link, I noticed that the bike was bottoming out in the rear on lots of the rougher landings like single to tables and what not, but was fine on the woops, and and everywhere else. Do I just need to go up on compression to stop this? It is a stock rear shock.
thanks.

Scro
03-09-2010, 06:28 AM
The GTT link has a different leverage ratio than the stock linkage, and will make the shock fell soft like you said. You need to send the shock out for a rework to have it setup for that particular linkage.

Eclipsemike
03-16-2010, 10:12 PM
yo can make the compression all the way tight and it will work to a certain extent but getting your rear shock reworked would be the best way. i just my link for my 450 and i made the compression all the way hard and it helped

bluerid
03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
I have the same problem. I set my compression completely hard and I'm still bottoming out on some jumps. Definetly going to get the shock revalved for the link this summer. Seems to be the whole problem.

Scro
03-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Setting the compression adjustment full hard will cause the shock to fade prematurely. The oil will also wear out faster due to the additional heat. When you have it full hard, the oil is being forced through a much smaller passage way. If you were to have it revalved, you won't have to run the compression full hard. This will flow more oil, thus allowing the shock to run cooler.

Alot of shock builders will advise you not to run your compression full hard.

bluerid
03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Good advice. I'm going to back off of the compression today when I get a chance.

z400bs
03-18-2010, 11:09 AM
so even if i go and buy an aftermarket rear shock, i would have to get it reworked for it or no?

bluerid
03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
If you buy a used one then you may have to get it revalved for the link depending on what they had it valved for. But I know if you buy a brand new one from some companies like fox or elka then they set it up for the link, your weight, and your type of riding.

z400bs
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
ok, well right now with the money i have it looks like just sending the stock shock off would be the best way to go. I would send it to gt thunder but i recently just read a thread about there shocks breaking? what do you think?

Scro
03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by z400bs
ok, well right now with the money i have it looks like just sending the stock shock off would be the best way to go. I would send it to gt thunder but i recently just read a thread about there shocks breaking? what do you think?

I haven't had good luck with GTT, as far as shock work goes...let's just leave it at that.

In my opinion, the shock setup from Elka sucks. When you buy a new shock from Elka, it's going to have a generic valving/spring rate as opposed to a specific valving for your weight and riding style. If you called them up and wanted a shock setup for 160 pound rider, you may get a "shelf" shock that is valved and sprung for riders between the weight of 160-175. That shock may work excellent for a rider that weighs 170, but will work just "OK" with anybody else in that weight range. It's their way of mass producing, and still keeping the cost of specific valving/springing down. You may get lucky and the setup be spot on, but you hear far too often about valving/springs being off when buying from them new.

Elka's materials they build with is good, it's the setup that is lacking. If you were to send them to somebody that would take the time to set them up specifically for you, they would probably be leaps and bounds better than what Elka can do for you. Axis, Fox, and PEP all seem to do a better job of setting a shock up when you buy new.

You will be very happy with stock rebuilds. There's so much that they can do with stock bodies to make them better. I'm hearing alot of good things about JET suspension's rebuilds.;)

duke416ex
03-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Sounds like you may need a different spring, that might help a little until you get it reworked for that linkage.

bluerid
03-18-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree with Scro. Most companies can get your stock shock working almost or just as good as an aftermarket one. My buddy just got all of his shocks revalved and resprung by jet suspension and he said its a huge difference from stock. There are many other companies that do the work if you really want to get it done. JH racing, Derisi, and Racetech just to name a few. And also I hear that GTT does good work but lack on customer service which I think is a must when dealing with suspension.

z400bs
03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
does jet suspension have a website? i might be interested in them

bluerid
03-18-2010, 08:43 PM
www.jet-motorsports.com

Nick from jet is a great guy. He has helped out many people on the trx450r.org forum regardless of them being a paying customer or not.

z400bs
03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I just might give him a call. Thanks for all the info!