PDA

View Full Version : 50 stock , what is legal? ATVA rule?

asadad00
03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi , We are making a spring trip to Florida the same week as the first GNC at Pell City, Al, I would like to bring my sons DRR 50 along and let him try a big event . My question is the rules concerning the new 2010 exhaust that has been added to our 08 model DRR , will this be OK ? everthing else is still stock .

rmuscle
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
i would try to contact someone where u are going to race . we race neatv and are allowed to run it regardless of year , but we raced motorama here in pa and i had mr racer 65 try to protest me for it but because it wsnt on a 2010 , but the official felt that is not an aftermarket pipe and is now the stock pipe , and he allowed it . so every place isa different

DAVYS DAD
03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Im pretty sure that the pipe can only be run on a2010 but we will see at BAMA im sure some folks will be running it on later models.If you call Doug Morris at the ATVA Im sure he will say NO.
you can run 50 production cvt and its OK but I dont think you can run it in LIMITED STOCK.

Later

Hetrick Racing
03-10-2010, 06:42 AM
The argument would be this if DRR is offering it as a replacement pipe then it would be LEGAL .
as well as the carb and cdi box
Although I have not got a reply from Smitty.

DAVYS DAD
03-11-2010, 07:40 AM
I did not know Doug Morris was no longer with the atva.I called the atva feb 11 and they told me you CAN NOT run a 2010 pipe on any other drr,only on a 2010 I was also told that drr has the older pipes so you cant buy a 2010 pipe as a replacement and run it in limited stock.they say this pipe(2010) is performance enhancing so its not LEGAL.Hope this clears things up.

later

asadad00
03-11-2010, 08:18 AM
davys dad is right , I got a response from the ATVA people on this matter just today, and it is clearly a NO, the new pipe cannot be run at The nationals on anything but the 2010 model , and they recommende I have proof that its a 2010 model to eliminate any confusion. I think the new exhaust is a lttle better on the top end but the original pipe is better on the bottom end , I think either will work for us .

EthansDad
03-11-2010, 09:17 AM
And third validation from the AMA on topic. Here is the email I got from them today:

Hi Eric:

The AMA is aware of this possible issue. I have been communicating with one of the ATV manufactures. The rule states in the 2010 AMA Rulebook on page 126 B. 1:
That the Exhaust system can not be changed.

Only OEM on the ATV, but it has to be exactly how it came off the floor. So for the 2008 model adding 2010 parts it would be changing how it came off the floor.

This ruling includes that previous years exhaust.
Example: A rider may not take the pipe off a 2010 DRR 500cc and replace the 2008 DRR 50cc.

We are working to clarify the issue and you can pass the word. :)

Any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Heather Bowman
Motocross Assistant Manager
American Motorcyclist Association
13515 Yarmouth Dr.
Pickerington, OH 43147
1 (800) AMA-JOIN
1 (614) 856-1900, ext. 1271
1 (614) 619- 4003 (Cell)

The information contained in this message may be confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reliance upon, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, or the information contained in it, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. American Motorcyclist Association, Inc.

quadrider79
03-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Last year in this class. Gonna make the most of it but I'll be glad when it's over. Having to buy a new quad every year just to compete, is crazy. Supposed to be a BEGINNER class.

The way this class is going. In five years, you will be able to buy a STOCK 50cc DRR and Race it in the Production 50cc class and WIN!!!!

jerkyboy
03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Just a question cause I dont have a dog in this fight anymore.
Don't the 2010 50s come with the old style pipe and then they give you the new one in a seperate box and you or the dealer installs the new pipe.

quadrider79
03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Come to think of it, Jerkyboy, You are right. The new 2010 DRR 50's do come with the OLD pipe. I know some did. The ruling must be that it's not how they come from over seas, but how they leave the showroom. Just like a couple years ago when you could run either a Sunworld or an OKO.

Like I said earlier, I'll be glad to get the h*** out of this class!!!!!

hotquads1
03-12-2010, 07:25 AM
As jerkyboy said, The earliest shipment of 2010's came with both(either) exhaust , I think all other shipments will include only the new pipe. I believe this would make the 2010 model AMA legal to run either exhaust .
quadrider79, I feel your pain , I only have 1 more year in stock 50 limited , but I am afraid I have bad news , it does not get any cheaper when they move up to the production cvt classes. with new technology and improved products coming on the market each year you will be forced to update your engine and maybe suspension , the 70cvt and 90cvt classes are very competitve and anything less than the best equipment will be a disadvantage, this new parts make buying a stock quad look cheap. with my 5 year old , I buy a new 2k$ quad and he races all year and is compettive , at the end of the year I can sell it for about 1200 and buy another new model for less difference than a total overhaul on the old one that has a year or wear and tear. on the other hand my 8year old has a production bike the engine alone cost more than the new 50quad and long travel suspension with shocks is more than the engine ! then you have to have spares and maintainance constantly so the total monthly cost of racing the production is classes is about a million dollars a month , or at least it seems like it. I am just saying I thought when my first boy got out of stock limited , it was a good thing but my wallet has been screamin every since, now I am hoping my 5 year old can race stock limited for 6 more years ,hmmm 50cc stock limited 4-11 years , has a nice ring to it (says the dad with the wore out wallet). We gotta love it , see you guys in a couple of weeks .
Marc

joe0718
03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
We picked up a new 50 last month and it came out of the box with the new 2 piece pipe.

thequadfather+2
03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Who do I need to submit my "Bail-out" plan to? I was going to send the request to Hot Quads for getting me to this level but have since decided to request a slush fund from the tax payers. This is "too big to fail" as the government said when they defended the bank and auto bail-outs. Now that I have come this far this has become too big to fail and there is no turning back. Bail out the auto comapnies, not the school systems (what a briliant idea)....You want change you got it. If anyone has anymore change laying around please pass it this way.:eek2:

I could have picked a cheaper sport but we are having too much fun to stop now.

For better or worse, we skipped the 50's and too much invested to go back now.

quadrider79
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
As jerkyboy said, The earliest shipment of 2010's came with both(either) exhaust , I think all other shipments will include only the new pipe. I believe this would make the 2010 model AMA legal to run either exhaust .
quadrider79, I feel your pain , I only have 1 more year in stock 50 limited , but I am afraid I have bad news , it does not get any cheaper when they move up to the production cvt classes. with new technology and improved products coming on the market each year you will be forced to update your engine and maybe suspension , the 70cvt and 90cvt classes are very competitve and anything less than the best equipment will be a disadvantage, this new parts make buying a stock quad look cheap. with my 5 year old , I buy a new 2k$ quad and he races all year and is compettive , at the end of the year I can sell it for about 1200 and buy another new model for less difference than a total overhaul on the old one that has a year or wear and tear. on the other hand my 8year old has a production bike the engine alone cost more than the new 50quad and long travel suspension with shocks is more than the engine ! then you have to have spares and maintainance constantly so the total monthly cost of racing the production is classes is about a million dollars a month , or at least it seems like it. I am just saying I thought when my first boy got out of stock limited , it was a good thing but my wallet has been screamin every since, now I am hoping my 5 year old can race stock limited for 6 more years ,hmmm 50cc stock limited 4-11 years , has a nice ring to it (says the dad with the wore out wallet). We gotta love it , see you guys in a couple of weeks .
Marc

Marc, it has nothing to do with money. It has to do with the class being a beginner class and every year something is added or changed to make these 50cc go faster. My god, these kids are between 4-6, how fast do they need to go. I feel they are great the way they are. I feel there is other ways to make changes and improvements other than SPEED.
When it comes to cost, I would rather spend 3 times as much on a production quad than have to buy a new 50 every year. Wait, I have already done that and will do it again next year when my youngest moves up.
See you in Bama!!

coffing918
03-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Im glad to be out of the 50 stock class also, now lets hope JJ does just as good in the 50 production class, He absolutely loves his new 50 prod,quad,, Alabama track looks like a huge,fast rough track, cant wait to go.

asadad00
03-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by quadrider79
Marc, it has nothing to do with money. It has to do with the class being a beginner class and every year something is added or changed to make these 50cc go faster.
When it comes to cost, I would rather spend 3 times as much on a production quad than have to buy a new 50 every year. Wait, I have already done that and will do it again next year when my youngest moves up.
See you in Bama!!
I realize that the money may be no problem for you guys but alot of us families are struggling in these current economic times and we can't afford to spend 3 times as much as we do now , I am grateful the quad companies keep improving the product each year for almost no extra cost , I hope the 2011 is even better. Around here people purchase a mini for their 4-6 year kids and then still port it and make clutch mods and anything else to make it faster, my guess is they do the same in your area, you may have done these things to your kids because you didn't think it was fast enough , did you(be honest) ? . my point is some of us do not have your budget and we need to get the most performance we can in the new quad and cut down on the xtras after the purchase , that can add up to more than the quad cost! Cut the working guy a little slack , we want to stay in this sport too.

hotquads1
03-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
Who do I need to submit my "Bail-out" plan to? I was going to send the request to Hot Quads for getting me to this level but have since decided to request a slush fund from the tax payers. This is "too big to fail" as the government said when they defended the bank and auto bail-outs. Now that I have come this far this has become too big to fail and there is no turning back. Bail out the auto comapnies, not the school systems (what a briliant idea)....You want change you got it. If anyone has anymore change laying around please pass it this way.:eek2:

I could have picked a cheaper sport but we are having too much fun to stop now.

For better or worse, we skipped the 50's and too much invested to go back now. .

Bailout plan , I like that idea , they have had cash for clunkers , cash for appliances , I think quads are next on the list.

asadad00 , I am with you , don't you like the new class 4-11years 50 stock idea ? I would like to see as many choices as it takes for every family to be able to stay in our sport.
Marc