PDA

View Full Version : Need racer, intelligent opinion...

Butter
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Ok, ran into a problem putting the head back on my race bike. I had bought a Web 208 cam, with Ferra valve springs, and KibbleWhite Stainless valve. The guy assured me this was a drop in setup, and the Ferra springs that I got allowed me to run the cam without having to shorten the valve guilds like Web states you have to. Here's the problem. The valve stem on the exhaust valves diameter is different in some '04-'05s. I looked up CV4 valve keepers and found this out. Well of course I get the wrong size ex. valves, springs, and retainers. So called up Web today, and asked a few questions. They said they wouldn't know if my guildes would need to be cut. Kinda confusing beings I run stock guildes, and why would they dictate they need to be cut if they're unsure? Anyway, I said I needed exhaust springs, and retainers for the bigger diameter ex. valves. So $195 later, I'll have them tomorrow.

Here's my question. Now that I'm running Web's spring kit, should I try to run the 208 cam? I don't want a bomb going off in my valve train. I had a HotCams Stage 1 in it before, and its ideal for the tracks, and racing I do. Tons of low end. I wanted to run the 208 cause I hear alot of good things, but without the Ron Hamps spring kit, will it start to destroy itself after 40 hours? Just want someone's opinion on should I try to run it with uncut guilds and the Web HD spring kit, or should I run the old HotCam to be safe? Please any imput would be great. Thanks!

eastside 400
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
the size is the same in all 04-05 bikes, it changed in 06+ on the exhaust side. The web spring(kibblewhite) can be used without using shortened guides from what ive read. using the 208 does tear up valvetrains fast, no matter what springs you use so just be aware. if you are worried about 40hrs then i wouldnt go with the 208 because 40hrs on a valvetrain with a 208 is going to be destroyed. springs usually wear out at 20hrs or so.

Butter
03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow! You run with a 208 before Chris? Haven't really talked to anyone around here who has. Curious to know the power increase. But man it better be massive if I'm putting new springs in every 20hrs!

eastside 400
03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
no ive never ran one, i was going to last year but i didnt wanna have to deal with it

Butter
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks Chris! I'm going to sell the 208 cam, Ferra springs, and the '06+ KW SS valves that I can't use. Plus it will help recoop some money too. My bike always made good power with the HC Stg I, and I got a new port job, and the Web HD spring kit coming, so it should make better power, but still have reliability.

TJ Bradley
03-09-2010, 03:32 PM
good choice. It dont matter how much power it makes with the 208 you cant win a race with it in the shop. lol

eastside 400
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
i wouldnt bother using the web spring kit if your just gonna use a HC1, you will actual lose power and be harder on your valvetrain for no reason, stock springs are plenty for the HC1

HondaRaceReady
03-09-2010, 07:42 PM
What makes the web 208 so hard on valvetrains? Whats the lift like on them compared to HC2?

d3ktrix
03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i wouldnt bother using the web spring kit if your just gonna use a HC1, you will actual lose power and be harder on your valvetrain for no reason, stock springs are plenty for the HC1

Agreed that's added friction for no reason.

And Brett, I was going to buy that 208 with the spring kit just to get the springs for cheap and sell the 208 lol.
Good thing I didn't being the guy didn't know they were for an 06.
I wanted to run them with a 493/729.

Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
What makes the web 208 so hard on valvetrains? Whats the lift like on them compared to HC2?

Long during makes for aggressive ramp speed I'm guessing.

Heres the specs for both...

HotCams Stage 2 - Part #1024-2

Intake lift (inches): .402"
Exhaust lift (inches): .343"
Intake lobe center (degrees): 106.5
Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 103.5
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 248
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 268.5
Intake Open / Close: 11 btc/ 53abc
Exhaust Open / Close: 55 bbc/23 atc
Lobe Separation Angle: 105
Overlap: 38.25

208/921 - Part # 57-042 Reduced or Full Base Circle

Intake Lift(inches): .408"
Exhaust Lift(inches): .340"
Intake Lobe Center (degrees):
Exhaust Lobe Center (degrees):
Intake Duration (degrees at .050"): 282
Exhaust Duration (degrees at .050"): 298
Intake Open / Close: 19 btc/ 59abc
Exhaust Open / Close: 55 bbc/27 atc

Though there are 2 different 208's
A reduced base and full base, the newer one is supposed to be easier on the drive train. I forget which is which.
Brett, u might want to look into which you have.

Butter
03-10-2010, 12:01 AM
I doubt the guy I bought it from would even know that. Screw it, why take the chance, ya know? I'm going to stick with the valve springs just because of the Vortex CDI. Just added insurance with the higher limiter. I know Chris, you say you run stock springs with no problems, but hey, I spent $59 just to overnight these damn springs (on top of the $195 for them), lol, this motor is running tomorrow! And the stock springs I had in there were installed upsidedown by a retard Honda mechanic. So they're done, and this is what I have.

And to top it all off, the track I was heading to this weekend (reason why I overnighted the parts) CLOSED for the weekend!! FML!!!

Thank you guys though for the reliable info.

Butter
03-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Oh and John, that was my thought too. And I kept asking, "is this a drop in setup?" and he assured me it was. What a crock of *****!!! Take a look at my thread topic. Now why would I only ask for "Intelligent" response?:rolleyes: