PDA

View Full Version : noob ball joint question

stuntin andy
03-08-2010, 03:51 PM
hey yall im putting my bike back together and when i tighten the nut that holds the spendel the bolt part moves.... how can i tighten the nut??

derekhonda
03-08-2010, 06:01 PM
yeah, your ball joint will continue to just spin. pull that rubber boot back on the ball joint just a smidge, and hopefully you will see a squared off tab. put a wrend on that to hold the ball joint in place and you will be good to tighten it up.

Sometimes, there is however no nub for a wrench. If that is the case, I have found a "pickle fork" works good to wedge in there and jam the ball joint in place. Sometimes a well place pry bar will do the same thing.

stuntin andy
03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
my buddy told me 2 use a c clamp and yahh lol i might try that

Scro
03-09-2010, 06:33 AM
A pickle fork will most likely damage the boot.

Do the bottom first. Put the balljoint in, and tilt the spindle over toward the ground and put pressure on it. This will put the balljoint in a bind, and let you tighten the nut. When that one is tight, just put the top in and give it a good smack with the hammer. The taper will hold it in tight enough for you to finish the job.

stuntin andy
03-09-2010, 07:18 AM
ok i might try that tonight im allllmmoossttt done with this build

bbender85
03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by stuntin andy
my buddy told me 2 use a c clamp and yahh lol i might try that

thats what i do. once you get the stud seated good it'll stop moving.

younggun95
03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
If you are using a locknut, tighten it on first with a castle nut. Usually a castle nut doesnt offer any resistance and you can suck the ball joint in without it spinning. Once its tight you can just take it back off and put the real nut on.

Raptor68
03-09-2010, 02:53 PM
We just had this same issue over the weekend mounting a set of new Houser a-arms on a 450R...buy an 8" C-clamp and place on top of the top joint and below the bottom joint and tighten down...worked like a charm.

stuntin andy
03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
sneak peek... i got them on there

stuntin andy
03-09-2010, 05:37 PM
by they way thats before i aliened the tires and all that happy sheet =D