PDA

View Full Version : Treasure huntin'

Pappy
03-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Not really:p But I did buy a metal detector so I could check some wood I have to cut down and mill for nails and such. Ryan and I went out to test it out and we found about 1/2 dozen arrows, several pieces of wire, some bolts and few other things that can eat a tractor tire up but no buried treasure:D

Anyone here have any tips for these things....the kids want to go hunting gold for fame and fortune :devil:

Quad18star
03-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I went treasure hunting a few times . I the last time I did it ... I found a beauty..... was 22 years old with blue eyes and brown hair . Like the treasure so much , I'm marrying her.:devil:

Other than that , never used a metal detector in my life , but good luck. hehe

IRISH-RACER-14
03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
me and a few friends had one last summer. we went to the beach alot and found loads of money. we split the money in half. we definetly made 500 euro.

derekhonda
03-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I went treasure hunting a few times . I the last time I did it ... I found a beauty..... was 22 years old with blue eyes and brown hair . Like the treasure so much , I'm marrying her.:devil:

Other than that , never used a metal detector in my life , but good luck. hehe

It'll be the only treasure that ends up costing you money!

Quad18star
03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
It'll be the only treasure that ends up costing you money!

It's already started . :huh

ZeroLogic
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I tried looking for my keys that my brother decided to loose. A hour going up and down a stretch of road and no avail. Found a neat turkey lighter though.:p

Pappy
03-11-2010, 05:26 AM
I think I found something my youngest son Ryan really likes. He has asked me to take him "hunting" everyday since I got the detector:p

The other evening we searched a boat ramp near my house. All we found was aluminum cans. He dug a 10 inch deep hole and found another when he told me that people are pigs and deserve what ever nature and god throws at them:eek2:

So yesterday we again hit a place close to the house after school and when we pull up there is 20 or so beer cans thrown about. As I shut the truck off, he says "I wish them cans were worth money":p . I explain that they are and immediatley he grabbed a trash bag and collected them all and kept everyone we found in our 30 minute hunt. We found an arrow, a few scraps of iron and so much general trash that it was sickening.

This morning, there was a note left for me asking to get him gloves, an e-tool, more trash bags, one of those things that picks up things on a stick:p , and a few containers so he could sort his "treasures" and keep them until we take them to the recycling bin. Cody told me Ryan spent about an hour last night searching recyling and scrap metal pricing on the net.

If we never find anything more then junk, I think the boy has atleast learned a pretty stout lesson on things that will stick with him.

aDviSol2y
03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I think I found something my youngest son Ryan really likes. He has asked me to take him "hunting" everyday since I got the detector:p

The other evening we searched a boat ramp near my house. All we found was aluminum cans. He dug a 10 inch deep hole and found another when he told me that people are pigs and deserve what ever nature and god throws at them:eek2:

So yesterday we again hit a place close to the house after school and when we pull up there is 20 or so beer cans thrown about. As I shut the truck off, he says "I wish them cans were worth money":p . I explain that they are and immediatley he grabbed a trash bag and collected them all and kept everyone we found in our 30 minute hunt. We found an arrow, a few scraps of iron and so much general trash that it was sickening.

This morning, there was a note left for me asking to get him gloves, an e-tool, more trash bags, one of those things that picks up things on a stick:p , and a few containers so he could sort his "treasures" and keep them until we take them to the recycling bin. Cody told me Ryan spent about an hour last night searching recyling and scrap metal pricing on the net.

If we never find anything more then junk, I think the boy has atleast learned a pretty stout lesson on things that will stick with him.

Thats one of the better stories I've heard in a while. Sounds like you have a pretty good boy on your hands.

hendershot106
03-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Sounds like me when i realized cleaning up all the old scrap and junk off my farm could make me cash inturn. Very satisfying to Clean up the ole farm and get paid for it...all the while it making everything look better and a lot less dangerous for the haybine!!!

Pappy
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Well this evening i only had an hour to give him so we hit an area that gets alot fo attention from fishermen, partiers etc. He found his first coin (a penny LOL) but he located it and dug it from 6 inches down. He scored around 30 beer cans from there.

We left there and hit one of the closer parks. He immediatley found a 1960 penny ( I know it aint worth but a penny) and then another. We went around a big brushy spot and there was beer cans everywhere:ermm: He walked back to the truck, got his bucket and came back and got everyone of them. Pretty proud of the lil' rascal:p

I will get him into some areas that should provide him some civil war stuff if we are lucky as soon as I get some more free time.

k4f5x0r
03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Sounds fun, like something me and my dad would do.

He's sounds more responsible then 99 percent of the kids in my high school ;)

fastredrider44
03-11-2010, 04:53 PM
When I went down to River Ranch last year, I stayed with my sister. Her BF has a metal detector that his parents bought for him since he lives near the beach. I went over to Melbourne beach with a metal detector aiming at finding something worth while. After 4 hours of hunting, i found squat.

Back at home though, I have successfully used a detector to find a tractor weight that got graded over in a driveway, and a logging chain that was buried in the mud that I wasn't ready to say goodbye to.

250rAL
03-12-2010, 05:58 PM
You need to spend some $ to get a good machine that skips all the junk. The oldest coin I've come up with is an 1848 large cent right across the street from my house.

xtrememxrider
03-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I metal detect all the time. I have a garett ace 250 with all the extras. i have the same amout of success with a cheap bounty hunter pioneer 101. Once yall learn the sounds of the detector youll know when not to dig.Theres lots of pics on my myspace page of my findings.

Pappy
03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by xtrememxrider
I metal detect all the time. I have a garett ace 250 with all the extras. i have the same amout of success with a cheap bounty hunter pioneer 101. Once yall learn the sounds of the detector youll know when not to dig.Theres lots of pics on my myspace page of my findings.

Thats pretty cool! Yeah I am learning fast what is usually junk etc. So much trash everywhere makes it tough.

I have a Quick Draw 2 and it seems to work very well. Ive been told to walk alot of the parking area and trails that people hunt on state property as they drop alot of stuff. I do know a guy that found a bow, arrows, backpack loaded with stuff etc, even the treestand. He said it looked like someone just walked away from it :eek2:

trick450r
03-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Thats pretty cool! Yeah I am learning fast what is usually junk etc. So much trash everywhere makes it tough.

I have a Quick Draw 2 and it seems to work very well. Ive been told to walk alot of the parking area and trails that people hunt on state property as they drop alot of stuff. I do know a guy that found a bow, arrows, backpack loaded with stuff etc, even the treestand. He said it looked like someone just walked away from it :eek2:

lol the guy was probably takin a piss 10 yards away.

250rAL
03-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Look in the yards of old houses that were really upper class when they were built. Under clothes lines that have been there a long time. Under streets and sidewalks when they get torn up.

250rAL
03-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Look in the yards of old houses that where really upper class when they were built. Under clothes lines that have been there a long time. Under streets and sidewalks when they get torn up.

Pappy
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
We have tons of areas to explore...we live in the middle of Civil War central:p

Me and Cody went out here at our place (no detector to rainy) and found 5 more golf balls and no deer sheds. We get 5 to 10 golf balls a month from the Crows dropping them.