PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues Need help identifying two white wires

tuck05
03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
The 99 400ex wiring has been hacked on by the previous owner. I'm trying to figure out why the battery is not charging. There are 2 clusters of wires coming from the alternator. 1 cluster goes to the 4p connector. The other cluster consists of 2 white wires that were just hanging down not connected to anything... I've looked through the service manual but can't find anything about where the wires are supposed to go. Any ideas?

Also, what would cause the 4wheeler not to shut off when you switch the key off?

Also, there are two more wires that aren't connected to anything. One wire is brown with blue dots and one is green. I'm guessing they might go to the rear tail light? I'm not sure since the bike has no rear tail light.

vaget22
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
According to the service manual the only White wire you should have is the power to the low beams on the head light. This wire should run from the handle bar switch to the lights. The Brown with blue dots should just be a solid brown wire with the green to the tail light. And if the bike still runs with the key switched off its probably the PO bypassed the key switch all together. I'm just guessing at this since I'm not actually seeing things.

moyer17901
03-09-2010, 06:00 PM
If i were trying to figure it out, I would simply use a voltmeter and see what voltage is at the battery, such as on a car a normal battery would have about 12v give or take, then if the car is running the alternator would be pushing about 14-15v depending on the car, so what im saying is start the quad and test the wires to find one with a voltage higher than what you battery is at, these should be the output lines from the alternator Hope this helps