PDA

View Full Version : Cuts out while WOT

Melton69
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Hello,

Just got back from my first trip with my rebuilt 86 at the sand. After about a minute or two of running WOT it starts cutting out and dies. I let it sit for a few minutes and it starts right up and I can run it for another minute and it does the same thing. The plug looks perfect, nice brown with 158 main. I have a K&N, V force 3's, stock motor, and PTR Race pipe/Fatboy 2 silencer. From what I remember the plug was wet so I dont think its fuel, I messed around a little with the main jets, no difference except with plug color.

As far as I know it has the original CDI and Coil. I am pretty sure its heat related cause we would start in the parking lot, idle out to the sand and I would run WOT and it would die at about the same area every time. Also it seems like it doesnt have alot of power and it has a short power band. After having the bike apart for a couple years saving for rebuild I compression tested the motor without fuel and it was 120 psi, I will do another compression test tomorrow since I have been running it, I dont know if maybe the extra oil would raise it or not.

Any help is GREATLY apreciated cause since I have owned this it has given me problems.

Melton69
03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Just before we left I was having problems with fuel coming out of the over flow after riding so I adjusted it by sight, perhaps I adjusted it too much...How can I check the gas tank cap?

I was checking the plug just after it cuts out and dies. I started with a 158, it happened so I went to a 178, died, plug was black so I went to a 160 (only jets on hand) and it still hapened, all died at about the same area on the staight stretch.

What would low compression do to the performance and power band? It seemed awfully weak...

What would I see with a bad coil, CDI, or stator because to me it seems like it does it when it hits a certain temp?

86 Quad R
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
one of the elec componants(pic up coil, main coil or stator could be getting "heat soaked" or the carb is vapor locking. to test the cap, blow through the vent hose. if its working properly, you will hear air. :cool:

Aceman
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
^^^What he said.;)