PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys i need some help

PaRedneckRiders
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
ok so i have a 2000 400ex and when i bought it, it ran fine well now if the gas is on and its on an angle its dumps gas out the carb overflow
never had this problem b4 with 400s and need some help
had the carb apart cleaned everything and put it all back together but still does it
its not juz when im like doing wheelies and stuff i mean if i sits on a hill it will leak gas out of it
had the carb apart 3 times now and still nothing i just need some ideas of what it is
i was thinking float was stuck so cleaned everything and stuck a different float and needle valve in it but idk, that didnt help either
thanx guys any help will b greatly appreciated

PaRedneckRiders
03-08-2010, 04:58 PM
anyone?

slightlybent47
03-08-2010, 05:06 PM
It depends on the angle. Mine will leak if I stand it up on the grab bar.

PaRedneckRiders
03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
on like pretty much any angle it doesnt have to b on the grab bar if its at like 40 degrees in like a wheeile it dumps out or like juz on the little but of an angle that is my driveway (its like 20 degrees)
but it doesnt even leak all the time sometimes it will sit flat and leak and sometimes it wont leak at all
so i think its gota b something in the carb i juz dont no what?

JOHNDOE83
03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
try to make the float sit lower in the bowl....

problem solved.

PaRedneckRiders
03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
ok but how could u adjust it seeing as it is plastic?

JOHNDOE83
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Is there a way you could bend it down slightly?

Maybe its getting stuck, mine did the same thing and I found a black chunk of something stuck in the ceet.

PaRedneckRiders
03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
idk i could try and bend it down i just didnt want to break to because its kinda thin plastic but i do have another float
could it b anything else?
ive checked the float by blowning on the gas intake juz to c if it was still getting air in it when the float should b closed and it wasnt getting any air in it

JOHNDOE83
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
to find out if the floats gettn stuck wait for it to leak then hit/tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle, if it stops leaking then your floats gettn stuck....

PaRedneckRiders
03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
when it was leaking the one time i turned the gas off and lightly tapped on it wit a small hammer then turned the gas back on it didnt leak for a couple seconds the it started leaking again
almost as if it had to refill the bowl then it started coming out the overflow

PaRedneckRiders
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
idk i will take it all apart again and try and make the float sit lower in the bowl and see what happens then
but if it doesnt work i might juz get another carb

slightlybent47
03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Check and see if the float is water logged or if it has a leak in it and it is not floating correctly.

PaRedneckRiders
03-09-2010, 04:07 AM
ok guys thax for the ideas

PaRedneckRiders
03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
ok so this weekend im going to pull the thing apart again and try and c if its the float
ill let u guys know if thats it, i might even pull it apart tonight but im hoping thats all it is
if not im juz gona go steal the carb off my 426
for now anyway untill i figure out whats wrong with the one on my 400 that leaks
i should also have my 426 back together this weekend juz finished ordering all my parts

MidnightBlade
03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
take out the needle valve and clean it VERY good if there is so much as a fiber of material on it it will leak. my moms kawasaki CSR650 did the same thing, if it sits vertical it wont leak if you put it on the kickstand it will leak like crazy. we tore the 4 carbs apart and there was a tiny fiber on the needle in the #2 carb and it caused all of them to leak idk why al of them leaked ifonlt one was stuck. lol.