PDA

View Full Version : 2002 400ex rear brake, normal care

parsell02 400ex
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I am new to this forum, and it seems really cool...
i just bought a 2002 400ex from CL and the guy said he never used the back brakes?
but i cant find how to adjust them. i also need some help on just normal stuff to look for, and to keep up with.
im still somewhat new to this kind of stuff and it would be awesome if somebody could post a video or some pictures of what to do with the rear brakes, thanks.

Wheelie
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
The rear brake doesn't need adjusted.

Remove the parking brake if it hasn't already been done.

honda400ex2003
03-08-2010, 02:32 PM
x2 take the parking brake off, make sure the pads are in good condition, you could bleed them also but it is not required unless they feel spongy or look dirty. steve

parsell02 400ex
03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
this is going to sound dumb, but how do i do that? take the parking brake off?
and bleed them?

slightlybent47
03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I don’t want to sound like I’m not being helpful but since you’re new to the site and the sport, you should look at the top of the forum and click on the how to section. It has lost of threads on how to do all the mods. That should answer many questions you have, and there lots of pics to go with them. If you still need help then ask away.

Welcome to the site and have fun on the new scooter.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410964

I didn't see one the park break removal but try the serch funtion and see what you get.

slightlybent47
03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
All you really have to do is remove the park break cable. Then take a zip tie and secure the park break assembly to the break cylinder housing so that it wont come off and let dirt in the calipers. You can get a block off plate to replace the stock one when you remove the cable. Either way it’s an easy thing to do. I never adjust the rear breaks, if they get worn to the point that it needs adjusting then it’s time for new pads anyway. So adjusting them is a waste of time.

mechmatt
03-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Buy a manual they are helpful and show you how to do basic stuff and thensome

parsell02 400ex
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks everybody, it would be super helpful if somebody could get me some pictures of what exactly to do so i dont mess anything up lol

slightlybent47
03-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Just leave it on there, it probably doesn’t work anyway. Lol

The only time mine ever worked is when I first bought it. It worked the one time when I put it in the back of the truck to haul it home. It never worked after that. You could even just loosen up the cable so it can’t work. It won’t hurt anything to just leave it there; you may want to use it one day.

parsell02 400ex
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
well i dont have rear brakes at all? the brake has like no pressure at all?... when i push it down it goes all the way with no effect what so ever,,, and when i looked on the how to forums i found stuff on bleeding the brakes but not adjusting the rear what so ever, so yes i still need help.
and i really need pictures...they would help extremely

slightlybent47
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Ok start with checking the fluid level on the rear break. If it’s low then top it off with the proper break fluid. Then pump the break and see if it will pump up. Also check the rear break pads and see if they have any pad left, if not then replace them. If you still have no break then you can try to bleed them. It may have air in the break system. You will need some help, have a friend push down on the break pedal, then while he has presser on it take a small wrench and loosen the break line at the caliper. You want to just loosen it up enough to let a small amount of break fluid out. Then tighten it back up and let off the break pedal, pump the pedal a few times and do it again. Keep doing it until you only get fluid coming out. If it has air in it you should see some bubbles coming out with the break fluid. Again keep doing that till the bubbles stop coming out. Keep checking the fluid level as you bleed the break lines. If that doesn’t work then the master break cylinder may be bad and need replacing.

That should get you started, if that doesn’t work let us know and we will try to help.