PDA

View Full Version : how does the protrax/t-pin frontend compare?

sikadelic
03-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm just looking for input on how the protrax/t-pin frontend compares to the normal balljoint frontend or what ever else is out there on the market. what about standard travel protrax vs. long travel protrax? anything else? longevity, parts availability, etc.

deathman53
03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
all Pro-trax are Long shock(not long travel, thats a marketing gimick to confuse you). Parts are easy to get, but can be expensive. I have several front ends, the pro-trax turns really quick and can be kinda twitchy, where my others are very planted. The difference between long shock and standard is mainly the amount of fluid it contains, this making it much easier to valve, fades less and generally have bigger bottles. The shock rod lengths are nearly identical between the 2 "body lengths" of shocks.

sikadelic
03-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks! I'm just tryin to gather as much information/knowledge about them before making a purchase decision

woodsracer144
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
from what i've understood the pivot points wear faster then ball joints,

Inspector
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by sikadelic
Thanks! I'm just tryin to gather as much information/knowledge about them before making a purchase decision

I have a Laeger narrow frame and I am going to a +4 ball joint a-arm front end. The t-pins are just too expensive for my riding. Don't get me wrong, I have had two complete Laegers in the past and I thought they were great. I should have kept one.

800screws
03-09-2010, 04:09 AM
i agree...they are fast...i've heard of people putting 2 stabilizers on them to slow them down...they turn on a dime though! i did like mine when i had my leagers 250r...i have the t pin on my jp 500 and it seems more controlled than with the narrow front...

Sandsjbyz22
03-09-2010, 05:47 AM
I've had my protrax for 6 years now and love it. As mentioned though they can be twitchy feeling. I run a PEP stick stabilizer and a WER stabilizer. Maintenance can get expensive is the protrax is worn but like anything else keep it greased and you should be fine.

LONG-ROD
03-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I dont have a pro trax. I thought the design was so when the side walls of the tires get pushed up against a berm, rut, whatever, you would not loose your suspension. like it would not bind it up.