PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone texting question

Kickstarts-suck
03-08-2010, 10:08 AM
So im about to get a new phone and its either between the Motorolla Droid, the Chocolate Touch or the Samsung Rogue.

With the droid I will HAVE to pay the $30 a month for internet + $20 a month for texting. I want the droid but I dont like the $30 extra a month you have to pay to have it..

Is there a way around texting? Like using AIM or another IMer? That would save me $20 a month.

I pay for my GFs phone and she has Unlimited so she text the **** out of me.. :ermm:

Exrider434
03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
normally AIM would cost you internet charges, but since your paying the monthly fee for unlimited internet usage, i dont see that as being a problem, also wouldnt rack up on your gf's bill seeing as how she's got unlimited

hondariderdylan
03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
this is verizon right?

Kickstarts-suck
03-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
normally AIM would cost you internet charges, but since your paying the monthly fee for unlimited internet usage, i dont see that as being a problem, also wouldnt rack up on your gf's bill seeing as how she's got unlimited

Well she cant get AIM on her phone so I would have to send the messages to her phone # and she would receive them like a normal text.

Only thing I dont understand now is how I would send pic/video messages..
:ermm:

Thanks

Exrider434
03-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Well she cant get AIM on her phone so I would have to send the messages to her phone # and she would receive them like a normal text.

Only thing I dont understand now is how I would send pic/video messages..
:ermm:

Thanks

Right it would work the same as a text, only coming from your aim name to her phone and her phone to your aim.

But yeah, picture/vid mail... didnt consider that

Kickstarts-suck
03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
Right it would work the same as a text, only coming from your aim name to her phone and her phone to your aim.

But yeah, picture/vid mail... didnt consider that

Guess ill just get the $5 a month text also.

Thanks

XCRacer236
03-08-2010, 01:40 PM
since you cant afford the smart phone I would do the Chocolate Touch. I am not impressed by the Rogue. I am very up to date on cell phones and things like that.

Kickstarts-suck
03-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I can afford it but I don't want to pay it if I don't have to.

I dont like the chocolate because its full touch screen( my glyde has made me never want a full touch phone ever again)
It has no flash for camera also. :ermm:

The droid is perfect. Exactly what I want but I just hate that you have to pay an extra $30 a month.

dpizz450
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck

I dont like the chocolate because its full touch screen( my glyde has made me never want a full touch phone ever again)
It has no flash for camera also. :ermm:

You have never owned an Iphone then. I will NEVER go back to any other phone. I've had my Iphone for 5 months now and its the best phone i've ever had. I've had all kinds of phones sliders, touch screen, blackberrys, and none of them compare. I used to have alltel (now verizon) but just switched over to AT&T. Any other full touch screen phone I've owned or played with was really laggy. Like the touch sensitivity for everything was real laggy. The Iphone is nothing like that. What is wrong with your glyde?

k4f5x0r
03-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by dpizz450
You have never owned an Iphone then. I will NEVER go back to any other phone. I've had my Iphone for 5 months now and its the best phone i've ever had. I've had all kinds of phones sliders, touch screen, blackberrys, and none of them compare. I used to have alltel (now verizon) but just switched over to AT&T. Any other full touch screen phone I've owned or played with was really laggy. Like the touch sensitivity for everything was real laggy. The Iphone is nothing like that. What is wrong with your glyde?

+1. I decided to go for quality over quantity when it comes to phone from now on. Everything on the iphone's is so much better then all of the competitors. The screen in particular. It is so sensitive yet durable.

As for texting, I know for the iphone you can get texting apps where you pay for the app once then text all you like, maybe Droids have that aswell?

Kickstarts-suck
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by dpizz450
What is wrong with your glyde?

Everything!

The touchscreen never works right. Ill touch a button at the top and the bottom at very bottom with click. I cant even makes calls sometimes because the touchscreen is soo terrible. Everytime I hit "reply" for a text it hits the "options" key next to it..

Very annoying..

I mean im going to have this new phone for 2 years so I want to make sure I get the right now.

BlingyLTR450
03-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Ha my phones only $20 a month. Added onto my moms. Free mins from 7pm till what ever time night time hours free and I only talk in the night so dont use any minutes and have unlimited texting.

Kickstarts-suck
03-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by BlingyLTR450
Ha my phones only $20 a month. Added onto my moms. Free mins from 7pm till what ever time night time hours free and I only talk in the night so dont use any minutes and have unlimited texting.

Good for you. Must me nice having mommy pay for everything. ;)

sunco
03-15-2010, 02:16 PM
keep cking on the plans cause when I first started (verizon) I got the kids $10 extra per phone a month for unlimited texting then me & the wife paid 5 bucks so to find out we were going over . Next we paid 10 for each phone for the texting($50 for 5 phones). Still to much When I called to say WTF - Oh we have a family plan- all phones for 30 bucks. ( 5 phones on my plan) Hey why didn't they say that when we got the phones? :rolleyes: Its all a money pit but texting is what we all do. Good luck theres never one correct answer.

350ex
03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Get the enV touch. Pretty much the same thing as the chocolate touch but with the keyboard.

2to4
03-15-2010, 03:33 PM
iv heard horrible things about the envy touch and chocolate touch. i think if you end up paying the $30 for internet on the droid youll get to like it and be willing to pay

FourFiftyFour
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
the iPhone is definitely the phone of choice for me. I dont care how much I have to pay. The phone works great, and the features are A+.. Nothing like being able to multitask on a phone while you are multitasking at work or at home..

fasterblaster09
03-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I didn't read the complete thread to know if someone mentioned this, but-- I wen't from a samsung Impression (non smart phone) to a samsung Jack (got it from my buddy, smart phone). I argued with the woman for an hour about paying an extra $30 a month, until she finally gave in and said as long as they dont "know" that I am using the smart phone, and let them keep the IE (I think thats what it is) of the impression, I don't have to pay the $30. She told me to keep my mouth closed and don't tell any at&t employee. But if I was to go on internet with this smart phone, it would charge a butt load, so I had her block it, so it doesn't let me go on internet even if I click the internet button. just thought I'
d share

Kickstarts-suck
03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 350ex
Get the enV touch. Pretty much the same thing as the chocolate touch but with the keyboard.

I don't like the way they open. It would be a pain to me.

Originally posted by 2to4
iv heard horrible things about the envy touch and chocolate touch. i think if you end up paying the $30 for internet on the droid youll get to like it and be willing to pay

It seems like every phone I heard some people love them, some people hate them.

Seems like no phone is ever good enough.. "battery life sucks" "touchscreen sensitivity" "shuts off" "no flash for camera"

I dont know what to do...
Really leaning to the Droid right now.