PDA

View Full Version : EXPLAIN: Resis

Crazy lil punk
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Okay, so I know the Resis on long travel shocks are for excess shock oil, but do I need them? I found a pair of long travel elkas for $310shipped, but they dont have resis. I already have a set of LT houser a-arms I am looking to use on my 450r, but I am not sure about these shocks? So would you recomend going with out resis? I am 200# rider, I am a mid c-class rider, agressive, but not too wild, I do not need crazy adjustments either, just some more travel.

Scro
03-08-2010, 09:34 AM
You will have more shock fade due to less oil. Less oil = less tranfers of heat. You would be better off with a standard travel setup with ressies, than you would with a long travel setup without ressies.

As for the adjustments, at the minium you want one compression and one rebound adjustment. Those Elkas you are talking about don't have any compression adjustment, and the rebound is optional on that line. So they may have it, they may not.

You would be better off sending the stock shocks to somebody for a rework, rather than spending the money on those elkas. Your taking a step back in performance, in my opinion.

By the way, you are not necessarily getting more travel from long travel. You will just get more shaft travel out of the shock. The reason you want more shaft travel, is so you can fine tune the shock more with it's adjustments. And the fact that those shocks have no adjustments, makes them totally pointless.