PDA

View Full Version : Power delivery- YFZ versus YFZR

250R
03-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Here is the deal guys, a friend made me an offer I could not refuse on my 88 250R that I had since it was 2 years old and let it go. I turned around and bought a new Rancher and Rincon to ride - they are fun, but I do miss the sport quad to get out and ride occasionally. I have been a loyal Honda rider, but Honda, in my opinion, has allowed Yamaha to pass them up in recent years. I have ridden a carbed YFZ and really like the power delivery it has, very, very similiar to my 250R in terms of feel and power delivery - nice hit of midrange power that pulled to a nice top end. For those of you that have a new YFZR or YFZX (I am really interested in the X), how does the power feel compared to the carbed models. I can get a new, left over 09 YFZ for $5,150 OTD or for about $1,500 more I can get an R or X version. I like the fuel injection on the newer bikes but have heard complaints that it is not as easy to get power out of them compared to the carbed models. For those fo you that have both - let me know what you think.........

spanky101
03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure on the power delivery but with fi it seems to make everything alot more smooth and especially with the x it'll be due to it being for the woods crowd. And alls you'd really need for a woods/trail ride woul be a nice exhaust, power commander, and MAYBE port the head a bit but that's pretty unlikely. I've seen close to 50 hp on just the big 3. Get what you like man but either way you'll be happy!

Pack
03-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I haven't been on the new YFZR, but I LOVE my '07 Yamaha.

But, I have been on a buddy's KFX450, which is fuel injected.

His being stock vs. my YFZ with just a slip-on, I was able to beat him every time. Even when he got the jump on me, I was able to catch up.

He did, however, put a programmer and full system exhaust on his, and I'm not sure just rejetting mine will let me keep up with him. It helped a ton.

I also prefer carburetor over fuel injection on a quad. Mainly because of the terrain I ride in. The dude power washed his KFX without the key in it, and all of his lights started flashing and he had to pull-start it.

So, in my opinion, although I've never been on a YFZR.... Carb > Fuel Injection

Shuee_400
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Dont buy FI....Stick with the standard Carb....Trust me your going to be a lot happier!!

tt racer
03-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I owned a new 04 yfz and loved it but i dont see how you could go wrong with the new x. I know its more comfortable than my 04 and i personally love the new power commander with auto tune how trick!:D

rdstoner
03-09-2010, 05:05 AM
i just recently bought an 09 yfzr fi and i have always riddin carb one of my buddys has and 04 yfz and another buddy has a 07 but mine stock aginst the 04 with carb full system cam mod i keep right with him through the first three gears. yes his is built so it is faster but from going from riding carb to the fi i love it. the only thing that is diffrent motor wise with the x is the transmission the grears are a little diffrent for more low to mid range power output for the tight trails. i think if you go with the x you will not be dissapointed.

Ride1Rob
03-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Shuee_400
Dont buy FI....Stick with the standard Carb....Trust me your going to be a lot happier!!

What he said! If you liked the abrupt hit of the original YFZ you're gonna be disappointed if you get the R. The bike is fast upper mid and top but has no bottom end hit. Friend of mine has a Sparks pipe/power commander R and it felt like I was on stock YFZ off the line. He even admitted he should have kept his original bike but has grown to get used to it. :ermm: The handling of the R is alot better than the YFZ to me though.