PDA

View Full Version : 440ex stage 2 and stage 3 cams?????

440exhondaman99
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
i have my 440ex geared to run 80mph and i went from a stage 1 cam to a stage 2 cam and it killed my topend.. it runs great and has a ton of bottom end power but just kill my topend speed... i think im lucky to do 70 now... the more duration i believe is what killed the topend so i was thinking about going with a hot cam stage3 instead of stage 2.... is that going to help my topend does anyone know???? all i know is the stage 2 killed it and i want it back but with power still... IS ANYONE RUNNING THE HOTCAM STAGE 3???? is it good with topend or is perty much like the stage 2... i also have the old stage2 hotcam they cam out with a new version of the stage2.. i know the new has more lift then the old.... ANYONE HAVE SOME INFO THAT WILL HELP????

honda400ex2003
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
this experience seems to go against the stages of the cams. the higher the stage, the more top end you should be getting since the duration is longer. the stage 1 is for low end with some mid, the stage 2 is for mid and top since it has a longer duration than the stage 1, this is the same for the stage 3. the three is a bit more radical than the stage 2 creating a longer duration cam designed for a stroker or 12.5:1 compression. I would not even suggest running a stage 3 without a cam and would actually recommend a stage 2 with the 11:1 which i am assuming your 440 kit is. You may not be able to use the stage 2 to the full benefit with the wrong exhaust and such. i cant remember if you had anything in your sig about your machine sorry. steve

honda400ex2003
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
heres some figures on the cams and a comparison between most of them.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237131

steve

bobizzle
03-11-2010, 02:17 AM
well, are you going for a drag bike, or for an mx type. if you are dragging it, then i would suggest the stage 3. it is made for drags, with a good port and polish. the stage 2 is more for mx with an increase in bottom and mid, while still having some increase in top.

please let me know so i may be able to furthe assist you in your problem.

JOHNDOE83
03-12-2010, 07:16 PM
my 440 with a stage 2 hotcam, at the strip, wide open in 4th gear does 70mph.

something must be out of adjustment.

Thumpin440ex
03-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Yah def something not right. Like stated the higher stage of cam, means that it is a higher duration, in turn likes to rev, make more of its power in the bigger R's. Regardless of cam, it should still pull to your previous top speed.. Unless you have changed your gearing, top end should be the same. Just a matter of how long it takes it to get there.. Make sure the valves are in spec.. If they are out, or to tight, bye bye reving..

John

flyboy1294
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 440exhondaman99
i have my 440ex geared to run 80mph and i went from a stage 1 cam to a stage 2 cam and it killed my topend.. it runs great and has a ton of bottom end power but just kill my topend speed... i think im lucky to do 70 now... the more duration i believe is what killed the topend so i was thinking about going with a hot cam stage3 instead of stage 2.... is that going to help my topend does anyone know???? all i know is the stage 2 killed it and i want it back but with power still... IS ANYONE RUNNING THE HOTCAM STAGE 3???? is it good with topend or is perty much like the stage 2... i also have the old stage2 hotcam they cam out with a new version of the stage2.. i know the new has more lift then the old.... ANYONE HAVE SOME INFO THAT WILL HELP????

I know this is an old thread, but I'm digging it up. :D

First off to the poster quoted: You're right. There is a "new" version of the Stage 2 hotcam. It is what we call "Stage 2 Hotcam" The old version? It's called the Stage 3 Hotcam. YOU ARE RUNNING A STAGE 3. lol.

But anyway, I was going to ask if anyone else on here runs a stage 3 in their ex. I'm curious on how it pulls through the RPM range.

John Noftsinger
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
What are you racing desert/drag? only reason I ask is,what do you need 16t front sprocket for in ohio?

fmftrx300ex
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
new cam with longer durration could have leaned you out alil on the top end that will murder top end power try a bigger main jet