PDA

View Full Version : why won't my Predator 90 rev up

Marc_stevens
03-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I've got two predator 90's, and '05 and an '04 (the evil one).
Some time ago it required the choke to be partially on to rev up, with out it, it would stall out. But with the choke on it won't idle.
I cleaned the carb and jets, more than once. I checked the float setting, it was good. I swapped the carb from the good one with no improvement.
I cleaned, then replaced the stator, no help.
I replaced the crank seals and rebuilt the top end. Compression now around 90lbs.
I cleaned the petcock, removed the fuel filter, replaced the battery.
I swapped the CDI from the good one to it with no improvment.
I removed and blew thru the pipe, seems OK. I ran it for short time with the pipe off, no better.
I checked the gap in the reed valve, seems within specs.
I read something about the weights or rollers in the clutch, but don't know what to look for.
If anyone can help, I'm fresh out of ideas....
Thanks

dericsdad
03-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Definitly sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere, or a crab issue.

Am I hearing you correctly? It will idle, but not rev unless you pull the choke out partially, but then won't idle unless the choke is off.

Is the main jet plugged??? Did you take the float bowel off and blow throught the main jet?

With a fresh hone, new rings and gaskets you should be at 100 psi compression min. on a stock Predator 90 (kicking Compression). Did you check it with the starter? Were you holding the throttle wide open when you were checking it?

Dan

Marc_stevens
03-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Your depiction of the choke scenario is correct.
Carb is clean and works fine on the brothers 90. When swapping parts the problem stays with the evil one. Carb, intake, CDI, etc.
I didn't have throttle wide open, i will try that. I did do with starter.
Have you ever heard of clutch rollers as causing anything like this?
This machine shows signs of being riden in or gone underwater before I got it. It was a mess in the kick starter area. I did a thorough cleaning sometime before it started this issue.

weldr383
03-07-2010, 07:27 PM
how about coil.plug ok,maybe to much oil in the gas.polaris has ect switch in the throtle .disconnect the wires and try that if that doesn,t work jump the two together .if there is to much play in the throtle it will cut out the ignition.something to look at.

dericsdad
03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Choke shouldn't affect the operation of the roller weights...

Choke also shouldn't help it if the ect switch in the throttle assembly were causing it to cut out because of a bad switch or sticking throttle cable...

I'm leaning towards junk in the carb... plugged main jet, or something causing it to run lean.

Plugged main jet, incorrectly set float level, plugged fuel filter, leaking/missing reed gaskets, leaking crank seals (installed incorrectly?), Cracked rh case near crank seal,
leaking case halves, air-filter modification without a jetting adjustment...

Is the fuel in the tank nasty? Junk in the bottom?