PDA

View Full Version : New Header, Smokes by Engine.

laxlife05
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I just bought a new stock header pipe for my 300ex because i snapped the old one, and there is smoke coming from where the pipe goes into the engine, but it doesn't smell like exhaust, more like something burning. Is this normal, and if not, what should i do?

juice420
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by laxlife05
I just bought a new stock header pipe for my 300ex because i snapped the old one, and there is smoke coming from where the pipe goes into the engine, but it doesn't smell like exhaust, more like something burning. Is this normal, and if not, what should i do?
did you use a high temp silicone to mate the pipe to the motor?, if you did it might be that, i'd say run it a little more and see if it goes away.

aDviSol2y
03-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Most of the time when you put headers on anything, they are going to smoke due to grease or cleaning solutions from the factory, or grease from your hands. It will take a bit to burn completely off. When I replaced the exhaust manifold on my truck it smoked for about a day and a half because all the grease from my hands when installing.

rt20ps
03-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Did you replace the gasket??

bobizzle
03-11-2010, 02:12 AM
there is a smash gasket that sits between the head and the header, if it is the old one, then it may smoke. if you replace you header, then you "should" replace the gasket. if it is smashed, then it will allow air to blow out the head and around the header instead if going down the collector tube and out the back. can you check and see if you have an exhaust leak and let me know.

the gasket is very cheap, cheap enough to replace.

also, if yau have an air leak, i would suggest getting it fixed. it will allow the exhaust to leak and you will have less back pressure on your piston. this may lead to warped pistons or warped valves

mikecancu812
03-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Probably had a little oil to keep it from rusting that is burning off

rooster300ex
03-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Normal. If it doens't go away then its something beside the exhaust buring stuff off.

Sjorge450R
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
i feel like you didnt put a new exhaust crush gasket on....