PDA

View Full Version : LT80s

hawaiianbasshed
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
ok, so I registered here before buying them (as they're both broken, but spammers make it so mods need to approve people) anyway, I ended up picking up two non runners (figured they can be fixed, my buddy is a mechanic owns his own shop and actually wrenches and owns bikes too) so figure worst case I get him to help me.

1st one the 96 in my sig, needs the shaft replaced that holds the stroker assembly and front drive clutch, somehow it broke where the clutch is, and will need a new front clutch assembly too probably.. he may have included it but I bought it from a 15yr old that took me getting lost 3 times and 2 hrs driving to find so when I got there I pretty much wanted to pick up the bike and leave... I had to ask 3 people at three different places after getting lost 3 times for directions as this kid was incapable. he straight told me to ask people as he didn't even know the street names. I didn't realize he was a kid til I met him... sorry was super pissed yesterday after a 3hr drive to get there to get lost for another 2 driving lol ANYway, so yeah, it broke the tooth off the front shaft that spins the front drive clutch. so to me this one screams built bottom end w/stroker kit and replace all the lower end bearings I suppose while I have it open...

so question is for guys like LT80 with experience what should I do to make it reliable with a stroker? larger or modified oil pump for the crank/tranny section? secondly, if I do stroker (no sense ripping a block in half and leaving it stock) what's the best way to make a big bore reliable? run slightly on the rich side? run some type of aftermarket cooling system for the cyl? and is there a way to build a setup or are there any kits for this?

onto the modded bike. I don't even know where to start, today I hope to clean both carbs at least the jets and see what happens when I crank them to check compression and also check spark..

this one, it was sitting in the rain uncovered for who knows how long... seemed like it would be the parts bike to my surprise. she said it just needed some work to get running. but when the back tires wouldn't spin when I pushed it I figured it for a bad sign... she said the crank isn't seized up or anything lol odd anyone especially a gurl would even come up with a crank being seized :huh

my buddy said they sound like easy fixed but he's a mechanic so cracking blocks on a small 2 stroke motor isn't a hard deal for him lol. so yeah, the chain was frozen with rust I'm thinking of WD-40 if I can unfree it, then get new valve stems put in the ITPs to pump up the flat holeshots.. if that doesn't work and i have to get new tires I'll run the extra set of fronts (the 96 came with 6 tires on rims pumped and 2 w/rims not mounted, so 8 tires/rims total) so I'll throw an extra set of fronts on til I get hers going too... there is more to these stories but this 1st post will go on forever if I keep going..

so recap

96 needs new shaft that holds crank and drive clutch (at the very least to run, on top of cleaning carb and other misc)

04 huh, not sure where to start, will check cleaning carb and see if the solenoid is bad or if the motor is locked as the 15yr old said he checked it out and it wouldn't even spin the starter with a batt just click, clean air filter (it looks as tho it's covered in mud) crack the clutch side and clean it as the breather is all rusty so there's definitely water in there.. and check spark, gas, compression and see if I can get it running... really compression can't be checked if it doesn't spin and both don't have pull starters so a pull starter is the 1st thing I'm looking to buy if anyone has one cheap that works lmk.

I'll host pix on my photobucket and drop um here, obviously I know how to use forums as I'm a member of like 20+ LOL these are our 1st 2 strokes and our 1st real bikes (only had china bikes previously but I got them non running and all it took was cleaning plugs and carbs to get them going and make sure gas was flowing and spark was on)

hawaiianbasshed
03-07-2010, 10:56 AM
oh, and I realize the chain has o-rings and wd-40 isn't good for them but it's fully locked like a solid piece of rust so I'm not worried about o-rings, I want to change it to a 428 smaller sprocket and top end gearing later when it runs anyway. hm, another thing if anyone has a spare lmk :D

and is there any bolt on motor swaps for these that I may be better off looking at? I don't really care, I'd prefer a clutch/geared motor rather than the CVT so I can ride one too for fun :D if so I'll make one work for my son and part out the rest of the stuff from the motor and do a swap on mine :D

wow, to my surprise, I spliced new wires and terminals and she actually fired up (the 04 that's all souped up) has a round slide mikuni carb, not sure where guys get the size I suppose the diameter of the output for the mani? I can measure it later. I took it apart but it was fairly clean and you could see thru even the pilot jet, I pulled it off and removed the jets, and the main the little side jets were clear as well.

I may still do the stock one on the other bike. I had to hit the reset for the starter on that one, and it started with the gas so I think the pilot is clogged on it. the spare tires I put on the 04 as well as the white plastics as they were better shape. and once I get the brakes working I'll try to ride the 04 and see if I can do a better batch with better oil. I probably still need to check compression on both and possibly change the ring on both pistons but other than a little tuning and better gas mix (the 04 smokes pretty heavy) they at least run.. I revved it up and seemed ok, it propels itself lol took some pix and a startup vid just gotta host um on photobucket... brb

hawaiianbasshed
03-07-2010, 04:44 PM
MOV04526.flv video by hawaiianbasshead - Photobucket (http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/?action=view&current=MOV04526.flv)

small rev vid. like the gurl said, it just needed help starting. but since it sat, the brake lines are all dry of lube :( so without work the brakes won't engage. love the smell of 2 stroke exhaust lol

started the other one up too. swapped plastics, the white one was originally the 96, but since it needs a clutch/crank shaft I figured put the nice plastics on the bike that will be running shortly I'll make a rev vid too. it's really loud tho lol. my kid thought it was like a dirtbike so he wasn't sure how to push the gas lol.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/DSC04525.jpg?t=1268003635

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/DSC04524.jpg?t=1268003813

they both have aftermarket taller handlebars...

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/DSC04523.jpg?t=1268003846

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/DSC04522.jpg?t=1268003864

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/DSC04521.jpg?t=1268003881

large round slide mikuni carb on the 04, not sure how big. do they measure the output to the mani as the carb size?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/DSC04520.jpg?t=1268003902

with the original plastics on, and the flat holeshots on the ITPs on the back. she was telling the truth I pumped the one that had a valvestem but they're like 16x6.5" tires I think they're fronts for like a 50cc atv :confused:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u175/hawaiianbasshead/DSC04519.jpg?t=1268003957

maybe I'll upload the pix of my kid trying to ride the 50cc 4 stroke mini chopper I had it was funny lol. sold it to my buddy for $250 fully running. have limited space so can't keep alot of bikes. otherwise I'd of kept it since I got it going good...

oh, and the holeshots were the wrong size and I think fronts, they're 16.5x6.5x8" so I pulled them and threw an extra set of fronts that came with the 96 onto the 04 so it can at least be moved around and stuff.. will be getting rid of the holeshots on CL soon...