PDA

View Full Version : Southern Kentucky Trails (lake cumberland)

justpars
03-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I am wanting directions to the trails around monticello KY. Not the coal mines either. The place I rode around was called preaching ground. I haven't been there in about 3 years, all I can remember is going from Somerset, West on 90 then turning left going through town past the doughboy (statue). I can't remember anything past that. Any help would be appriciated.

CNC_guy
03-09-2010, 05:47 AM
These directions will bypass downtown because there is a lot of construction going on and that way is closed half the time. Coming in from Somerset you will be on hwy 90. Monticello has 4 stoplights on this road.

Go to stop light #4 and turn left onto business 90. Wayne County Schools are located in this vicinity. Travel .8 miles to Hwy 167. Turn right.

After turning right on 167 you immediately start going over a hill and then right back up a hill. Follow this road for 4.6 miles. You will cross a small bridge located sort of in a curve and right after the bridge is Cooper Baptist Church on the right. Turn here on Duncan Valley Rd. There is also a sign here pointing towards Mountain View Baptist Camp. You will be heading towards the Camp and will actually drive by it.

Follow Duncan Valley Road for approximately 6-8 miles until it dead ends into Hwy 1009/Slickford Rd.

Turn left and travel a mile or so and you will come to a bridge. You will turn right after crossing the bridge and immediately be at another bridge. These are the Slickford bridges. Some people park here, and others cross the second bridge and follow Dry Hollow Rd. (gravel) back to a dry creek bed to park. The creek bed is near the Dry Hollow church. You head into the woods behind the church to get to the trails.

CNC_guy
03-09-2010, 05:56 AM
I was involved in a big ride down here last August.

*HERE* (http://kyoutdoors.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2253&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) is a link to the planning thread.

*HERE* (http://kyoutdoors.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2334) is a link to the ride review thread.

Both threads include pics and videos of the area to get you pumped up to get that new quad down here.;)

justpars
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all your help. I think this is where I used to go. If it's a one room white church with an outhouse then its the spot. Thanks Again!!!

CNC_guy
03-16-2010, 11:17 AM
That's the spot then.

Have a good time down here. We are planning a big ride August 21st if you are interested.

Ryan'07400ex
03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Whats the town called? If its not to far maybe i'd try it out.

CNC_guy
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Monticello. I have a customer on Blankenbaker in eastern Louisville and I can be at his place in just under 3hrs.

Go look at those threads I posted the links to. People that have ridden all over are surprised when they come here to ride. It's not advertised and there are no real maps but it's a super place to ride.

justpars
03-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah I'm interested in riding in August. Let me know the plans I'd like to meet up.

LilMXkid
03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
wat is the name of this trail and does it cost? is there a trail map i can get? is camping allowed?

justpars
03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
There are no maps, there is a place to Camp but there is not like a camp ground or anything. Its a good place to ride though.

Ryan'07400ex
03-24-2010, 03:45 PM
So is this place private and only open to like big group rides or is it open to the public like daily or every weekend or something?
How much does it cost?
Whats the address or one near it?

justpars
03-24-2010, 09:58 PM
It's free it's just old logging trails. Nothing is really that organized it's not like black mountain or anything.

CNC_guy
04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
So, have you made it down this way yet? I'm wondering what kind shape the trails are in after such a wet winter. I haven't been riding yet.

z400ACDC
05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
How far is it from Bowling Green? Anybody going to ride this weekend?

CNC_guy
05-06-2010, 07:54 AM
It's a little over 2hrs from Bowling Green.

qballd50
05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Did Someone say it was close to the cumberland river?

Then Its Prob. Flooded right now!
With all the rain that Nashville had, and around here, the lakes and rivers in Western Ky. Are overflowing!

CNC_guy
05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
It isn't flooded. I actually rode there Saturday in all that rain.

It's close to Lake Cumberland which flows into the Cumberland river. That's one of Nashville's problems.....due to the work on Wolf Creek Dam, the level of Lake Cumberland is having to be kept as low as possible which means the water is being let out at full flow right now into the Cumberland River.

qballd50
05-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by CNC_guy
It isn't flooded. I actually rode there Saturday in all that rain.

It's close to Lake Cumberland which flows into the Cumberland river. That's one of Nashville's problems.....due to the work on Wolf Creek Dam, the level of Lake Cumberland is having to be kept as low as possible which means the water is being let out at full flow right now into the Cumberland River.

Ok, you might want to call before you ride just to be safe! They have opened all the gates at the KY Lake Dam and the Lake Barkley Dam Too!

I Guess the 13 1/2'' (In Nashville)of rain didn't help them with all the Dam Work did it!

justpars
05-06-2010, 08:39 PM
To---CNC guy

I think you have been emailing with a friend of mine, happy2ride, or David Hall, we have been trying to plan a trip down there but things keep coming up. I really need to get my quad out and ride. I've only had it out once this year. Hopefully we can get down there soon.

CNC_guy
05-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by justpars
To---CNC guy

I think you have been emailing with a friend of mine, happy2ride, or David Hall, we have been trying to plan a trip down there but things keep coming up. I really need to get my quad out and ride. I've only had it out once this year. Hopefully we can get down there soon.

Yes I have. I feel bad.....I told him in the beginning that me and my group could go about any weekend but that hasn't been the case.

Of course, last weekend's deluge was out of my control. We still went and had a good ride for the most part but it wasn't ideal conditions.

I emailed him back this morning with a possible date of June 5th.