PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter what brand motor oil to use??

big_poppa49
03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
I have a 01' 400ex and I was wondering if it matter what brand motor oil to use?? I have been using the ProHonda 10w 40. But it seems as though price just keeps going up. Can I just use any 4 stroke oil?? Or does it have to be something specific??

Also, my dad has a Honda Recon and a 250EX and was also wondering if they could use any other oil?? Thanks

suck my pipe
03-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes you can use other brands.

big_poppa49
03-07-2010, 07:58 AM
*oops* I meant to say CHEAPER brands

like what? What do I need to look for??

A guy at the Honda place told me that for my 400ex it has to be for clutch driven motors so it can lube the clutch. Not sure if he was just trying to get a sale or if he is right.

suck my pipe
03-07-2010, 08:20 AM
The 400EX and Recon I used to have where never picky any old 10W-40 would work just fine. What he was trying to tell you is that the oil lubricating your engine is the same oil lubricating your clutch. In a car you would have engine oil and then transmission fluid. Some people have found that using oil intended for cars can make your clutch slip. In my LTR450 I use Rotella T 15w-40 which is made by shell and is sold almost everywhere. This oil has seemed to do a really good job so far.

spanky101
03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Rotella is a GREAT oil imo and comes very cheap. walmart or alot of other places have it and it comes in gallon jugs for a good price

bustedknuckle
03-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Hes right about the oil .but there are other cheaper oils.just get one for clutches.or you will burn out your clutch.

250rAL
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by bustedknuckle
just get one for clutches.or you will burn out your clutch.

I have to disagree. I've used just regular car oil in my R for over 20 years. It also has an oil bathed clutch. I rebuilt the clutch last year because I thought it was finally worn out. Turns out the freeplay was just misadjusted. Both the plates and the friction discs showed little wear. The key is to change the oil often. I am now using a store brand oil at $1.39 a qt. on sale. I got tired of paying higher and higher prices for the name on the bottle. The stuff I use now is made by Citgo if you look for the small print on the bottle.